3170 29 2016-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fdnyfish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7965640 ft
  • >>>
United States

I upgraded from a Phantom 3 Pro to the Inspire 1 because of the Inspire 1's Speed and agility.

Ever since I installed FW 1.6 my inspre now flies like an station wagon instead of the sports car it once was.

I can't fly full throttle for more than 10 seconds without getting a Propulsion warning message.

The climb rate is embarrasing slow.

I am now afraid to fly this aircraft in any kind of wind as I did before FW 1.6.

I think it's terrible how DJI had crippled this monster of a machine.

The Phantom 4 has a sport mode, yet my Inspire is governed.

DJI will not let you downgrade the firmware once you install FW 1.6.

Guess I was a sucker to install FW's as they were released.

So my Inspire sits on my table with FW 1.8, half the drone it used to be.
2016-5-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

FDNY -FISH,    I think you are right, I think they found out something on these batteries  that could cause MAJOR  problems and quietly backed down the performance.   My gut tells me the New Inspire that will come out will be the sports car the Inspire once was, I chalk it up to growing pains. Although I can still fly 40 MPH with little wind and close to 70 mph with nice tailwind . ( I realize not as good as before )

I highly value  you opinion and you are a technical genius -so those who post after me best mind your manners, this guy knows what he is talking about.

Much respect - donnie

2016-5-16
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The firmware crippling started back in V1.3 but yes has been getting progressively worse.
DJI are attempting to deal with the lack of knowledge, common sense and experience of new pilots by limiting performance of the aircraft.
This is frustrating for us who have been flying safely for some time, yet is understandable when you see some of the questions and actions posted here and on FB.
Many people clearly without the slightest understanding of what they are doing, with no interest in learning (like we all have done) yet want someone else to just give them all the answers.

I would very much like to get the performance I had back before V1.3, there has been nothing introduced since then that has any real benefit to me in either firmware or app.
I have a number of the 3rd party apps loaded but don't often use them - don't get me started on the autonomous functions in the Go app.

2016-5-16
Use props
stormtrooper101
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I have only had my inspire since September last year, so I don't think I was ever exposed to the higher level of performance you folks are missing. I think it landed at 1.2, and I upgraded to 1.3 before I flew it.  Probably why I don't have too many concerns with he performance. In terms of wind, I flew 4 batteries yesterday for a ball hockey tournament and on the anemometer, I was reading 30kph winds at ground level.  The inspire flew very well and managed the wind without issue, although it looked quite strange at a 20 degree angle.   

2016-5-16
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Did I stumble into the I1P FPV racing section? Sorry... Can't help myself sometimes. I only use the Inspire for work really and I've done a few AFL autopilot waypoints with grids recently in pretty decent winds. The tracks are straight as an arrow. I love this bird.
2016-5-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-5-16 15:03
FDNY -FISH,    I think you are right, I think they found out something on these batteries  that ...

Hi Donnie, I think that we need to take a look at the market that DJI is going after. The Inspire is the low end pro model and everything they are doing is making the drones easier for the average person to manage. This means that the system and interface will be geared to the non-pro consumer.  Eventually these things will have all the brains and all you do is turn them on.
I personally like to pilot the aircraft myself and call the shots. Making the battery priority over the aircraft power was most likely a necessary step due to the limitations that have been cropping up.  It would be nice if DJI would let the experienced pilots turn off these features so we can take the full advantage of this amazing aircraft. farnk666 is correct they have been slowly degrading our aircraft since 1.3 FW and this has been brought up many times ... even Paul Perry was voicing his dismay about the battery priority over needing power in an emergency.

I know that new battery chemistries are going to be introduced sometime soon that could play a huge role in changing the way we think about batteries. This is largely being driven by the mobile phone industry but I am really looking forward to over double the flight times and less weight of the current LiPo's....

Rich
2016-5-16
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Irrelevant commentary aside, this is about the capabilities of the platform being reduced over time.
As responsible Pilots we plan our ops with a view to the environmental conditions, prevailing winds against the ability of the platform to perform in that context.

As DJI continue to 'tune' the Inspire to lesser and lesser levels of performance, the suitability of it as a working tool is diminished.
2016-5-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Well look on the bright side guys, that power in reserve can be untapped when you fly in winds and are primarily interested in video. The range / weight performance ratio of this bird is difficult to match. Farnk is right in that many of the posts on the forum indicate frightening ignorance. So DJI is just protecting itself and our hobby.

I think if one is out for speed and agility, perhaps getting a racing drone is more appropriate.
2016-5-17
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

i guess thats a resounding no as to if i should upgrade the firmware on my aircraft from the version 1.5 something it shipped with.

seems to be working fine so i might as well leave it alone.
2016-5-17
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

My inspire goes 60 mph with no wind, faster with tailwind and slower with opposing wind. But yeah it does limit when the voltage gets low which happens a lot in hard flying. I live in temperatures 30-40c so the battery does get to 80c and over.
I would let dji limit the batteries to ensure safety of the voltage and also temperature.
The fastest record on youtube is 144 kmh and I have no doubt my inspire can do the same or even more with stronger winds.
2016-5-17
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-17 07:18
Well look on the bright side guys, that power in reserve can be untapped when you fly in winds and a ...

I believe that DJI have done this to save the uninformed from a possible crash.  A kind of self preservation.  As these batteries age, they might not be able to supply the power demanded by a full throttle input.  This may make the AC vulnerable to strong winds or possibly losing altitude and contacting trees, buildings or whatever.  It may even just end up landing where it is.  Again, landing in water, trees, buildings.

When I bought my inspire, I looked at it as a unique camera capable of capturing dynamic angles, that were not feasible for a helicopter.  After using it for awhile, I soon discovered the limitations of the camera in terms of bitrate.  Going faster, resulted in poorer video.  The camera just couldn't keep up with the information it was seeing.  I soon realized that slower was better.  

As others have pointed out in this thread, the inspire was not intended as a racing machine.  The only reason I would like to have the high performance is to quickly move it to the next position for the next shot.  In the interest of safety, I don't mind having to take a little more time, to get there.
2016-5-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

Alastair Posted at 2016-5-17 21:56
I believe that DJI have done this to save the uninformed from a possible crash.  A kind of self pr ...

I agree with all expects of your nice post except this recurring issue about bit rate which has been distorted beyond salvation. I can get technical but the bottom line is your observation that gradual moves make for more pleasing moving images is why professional movie makers have a maximal rate of panning in shots.
2016-5-17
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-5-17 12:18
Well look on the bright side guys, that power in reserve can be untapped when you fly in winds and a ...

Sorry, I'm new to the Inspire (I don't own one yet).

I'm not sure I understand this.  If power is reduced, you can't fly against the wind so easily.  How is the power to overcome the wind "in reserve"?  Or, am I misunderstanding what's been done?  Have they reduced power, or have they governed the maximum speeds?
2016-5-17
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

To all:
It seems to me unbelievable that a hack to flash the OB system and allow re-installing and older firmware has not been achieved yet. I have an older nexus 7 that I used when i fist got my Inspire 1 back in February 2015. I also have the original "Pilot" app install along with all of the incremental firmware versions stored on my server.
I too think back on the awesome power the Inspire 1 had a year ago and the confidence I built by flying daily (over salt water) without incident.
2016-5-17
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-17 23:13

I'm not sure I understand this.  If power is ...

I don't think they limit the top speeds.
They simply limit the power usage everytime your voltage gets too low or also I guess when the temperature gets too high, the system tells you when it's limiting.
For this to be an issue for the winds, there would have to be very strong winds like the winds in hawaii which does help blow giant waves in hawaii. There's a video of an inspire battling very strong winds and he kept it in gps mode and not full forward pitch because he was scared of the inspire flipping and his forward speed was really slow but with atti mode and full pitch forward, it should still be able to move quickly enough.
The thing is unless you're in hawaii or in very strong winds, it won't matter.
I approve to let DJI protect the battery by limiting everytime it is needed. It's just like a GPU or a CPU, it bottlenecks if it gets too hot because it will naturally decrease in performance and destroy itself getting towards melting temperatures so before those happen, it limits.
The 2 main reasons of battery failure is undervoltage and overheat and can be caused by improper use and going over the battery limits is one example of improper use. Manufacturing defect is not one of the main reasons because it is rare.
2016-5-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-17 23:13

I'm not sure I understand this.  If power is ...

There is 'governance' over excessive current load of the batteries. You can at a pinch, crank up the throttle but after a few seconds, you will be restricted. Thus, when manoeuvring in wind gusts, there is 'something in reserve'.

An experienced flyer of this craft will know what I mean. The immediately prior post by Lianlinao explains in greater detail.
2016-5-17
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

My big question is are those who are complaining about the FW updates the same folks that would be threatening a class action suit because their bird went down and "DJI did NOTHING to prevent it"?????
Update as my meaning was misunderstood. The class action suit would be IF DJI had NOT dealt with the battery issues that folks are unhappy about.
2016-5-17
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

skyvideoct Posted at 2016-5-17 11:55
To all:
It seems to me unbelievable that a hack to flash the OB system and allow re-installing and o ...

There are hacks out there if you know where to look. They take old bin's and open with a hex editor and change them to make them seem like newer ones. Me myself wouldn't recommend but it would be nice to have the speed back for fun once in a while....
2016-5-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-5-17 12:50
There are hacks out there if you know where to look. They take old bin's and open with a hex edito ...

Send me a link FP Please .  Are you talking about the MOV file if so , I have that one.  

donnie

donaldjames1990@gmail.com
2016-5-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

FDNYFISH, have you ever seen the MOV file ?  I know you are a computer wizard, I am just wondering if it would be worth trying?  Or if I send  it to you can you maybe  you extract the file and look at what it is and does.  

The file is supposed to be a DJI service file that will let you  delete and load any version of firmware that you wish .  So take you back to 1.3 or whatever.  ( I have not loaded it to my machine, I was waiting till ( IF)  something catastrophic happened to my machine and then as a last resort was going to load it and give ita try. )

Let me know if you want it and I will send it to you .  

2016-5-17
Use props
fdnyfish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7965640 ft
  • >>>
United States

email sent to Donnie
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-5-18 00:45
My big question is are those who are complaining about the FW updates the same folks that would be t ...

A firmware update is not going to bring an aircraft down.
2016-5-17
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

Delete..

2016-5-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-5-17 12:50
There are hacks out there if you know where to look. They take old bin's and open with a hex edito ...

FP, I found what I was loking for .  If you need anything E- mail me

Donnie

2016-5-18
Use props
info
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi,

of course everyone that upgraded is in the same conditions.

I loved the 1.3 and I'm hating the 1.8.

I chase powerboats and film them, so I need speed...

I purchased the I1 for this reason..

F**k DJI. At least let us choose the FW we want...
2016-5-18
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

Maybe I'm one of the ones that doesn't fly my craft at max speed. I've never seen a reason to. But I have my own routine that I go through before I ever put it in the air. Always a preflight checklist. If something is amiss that I can't change it doesn't fly (admittedly happens very infrequently). I always check prevailing winds so I know how far I can safely fly and make it back. But I think most importantly for me is I scout out what I want to accomplish with my shots long before ever putting the craft in the air. I didn't buy a racing drone. I bought a stable platform that allows me to get the shots I want. I've no need or desire to make mine fly at 50+ MPH. Don't get me wrong. You guys have valid points. They just don't seem to affect how "I" personally fly my craft.  
2016-5-18
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

info@massimilia Posted at 2016-5-18 17:02
Hi,

of course everyone that upgraded is in the same conditions.

I am glad I stayed at 1.2.1.06. I still use the old Pilot 1.0.2 app too. I learned a long time ago about upgrading before the masses did some 'beta testing' for me. I've been burned so many times by Apple app store updates destroying previously wonderful software, and I didn't know if I could trust DJI after they rammed the NFZ's down our collective throats with a mandatory firmware update. I understand somewhat their concerns about dangerous users, but I would have never bought an Inspire if it had the current firmware-forced restrictions on its capability when i bought mine. I suspect many potential DJI customers have decided to purchase from the competition having heard about the continually downgraded capabilities in the name of safety. I feel little need to fly 55mph, to 6 miles from the controller using 32 channels, but at least I CAN if I need to. In my area of the country the average winds are 15mph and 25 is pretty common. The new firmware would almost undoubtedly cost me a lost $2700 bird when the motors throttled down to save a $200 BATTERY and I could no longer maneuver against the constant winds.
2016-5-22
Use props
bob_budowniczy
lvl.1
Poland

Fully agree with you. My inspire with x5 is usless now. Image quality with sharpness below 0 and aircraft with 1.8 sucks. Still waiting for new update...
2016-5-23
Use props
Chris G
lvl.1

Canada

I have experienced the common practice of more features, but at the cost of performance.
And I have always been concerned about the possible overcurrent that can occur when a gust blows in, or you are an FPV racer handed an inspire, or simply hitting a branch or bush, it doesn't take much to cause a battery, or single cell to get pulled too hard. And Plop, repair time.
As an Optimist, I hope that DJI has down-tuned the inspire to help it last longer, fly safer, fly longer, fail less often, and still provide an awesome experience.
However, It totally sucks if you have become accustomed to and take advantage of the extra punch. and then have it taken away.

I enjoy flying my 250m Racing quad at speeds way above 70kph, but I'm not too interested in doing that with the inspire. If I needed to chase Performance Boats, make sure they are travelling downwind...
2016-5-28
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Inspire was a solid ship prior to firmware V1.3 when the altitude hold went to hell and the ability to track a straight course in and back was lost.
Ever since then, performance has been cut back more and more yet the instability remains. This is not a case of product improvement through development.

I have a single TB 47 and two additional TB48's. I have never had battery issues in over a year of flight - these changes have done nothing for me to improve my user 'experience'.
It was great at V1.21.06 for me.
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules