P2 Not flying properly WITHOUT Prop guards!
1137 11 2016-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chirag.saraswat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227785 ft
Germany

Hello all, I'm having a very confusing problem with my Phantom 2 v2.0. If I try and fly without the prop guards, the quadcopter is VERY unstable, all motion seems random, it almost feels a bit... possessed!  When it should hover, it randomly starts to roll and accelerate even if there is no throttle input. It becomes so hard to control that It takes me almost one minute to land it safely, even if it is just a few meters in the air! Inputs become incredibly jumpy and it feels like it has a mind of its own. At one point, it took off straight up into the sky before I was able to regain control.

Some additional info, if it Helps:

1.) I fly with the GPS mode switch fully "up" and everything else mostly in defaults. (No advanced naza settings)
2.) During my attempts to fly without prop guards, I remove the prop guard screws as well. ( thanks to widespread internet fears that the screws might damage the motors)
3.) The P2 flies like a dream WITH the prop guards installed, I have never faced any such trouble with the guards on.
4.) I bought it used off of ebay, and have been having this problem since the first day, so I've basically been flying always with the guards, which I don't like, as they are visible in the top of the shot (I have now mounted a h4-3d to it, problem remains same before and after)
5.) I have about 100+ hours of flight time with other drones and about 10-11 hours of experience with this one (with the guards on)

So to sum a long story short, My Phantom 2 is unstable if I fly it without Guards! it becomes damn near impossible to control, if I somehow manage to land it and fly again WITH the prop guards, it flies flawlessly, even if I change nothing else.

I can't seem to find any other case like mine on the internet, I'd be happy if someone can help me figure this out. Installing guards every time I have to fly is a massive pain and obstructs the shots I want to get while flying!

2016-5-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"During my attempts to fly without prop guards, I remove the prop guard screws as well. ( thanks to widespread internet fears that the screws might damage the motors)"

You did replace the long prop guard screws with the shorter original motor mount screws ..... didn't you?
2016-5-17
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

This is a total guess. Have you tried calibrating it without the prop guards on it?
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Please make sure all the original short screws are correctly twisted when the guards are not installed.
2016-5-17
Use props
chirag.saraswat
lvl.1
Germany

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-17 11:45
"During my attempts to fly without prop guards, I remove the prop guard screws as well. ( thanks to  ...

When I bought the drone from ebay, it came like this:
IMG_20160517_135010.jpg
So it came without any screws in these holes. The prop guards came in a separate box and I just installed them using the screws that came with it.

IMG_20160517_135129.jpg

They fit tightly with the screws in place.
A side view:
IMG_20160517_135137.jpg
2016-5-17
Use props
chirag.saraswat
lvl.1
Germany

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-17 12:33
Please make sure all the original short screws are correctly twisted when the guards are not install ...

So when I'm flying without prop guards, I'm still supposed to have screws on here?
IMG_20160517_135010.jpg
2016-5-17
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

chirag.saraswat Posted at 2016-5-17 08:29
When I bought the drone from ebay, it came like this:

So it came without any screws in these hole ...

Wow...:facepalm
2016-5-17
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

YES.  You need all 4 screws there.  The motors are moving due to the missing two screws causing the Phantom to "drift" about.These 4 screws in the cluster together go directly into the motor to hold it in place.   Two screws are not enough.

However - IMPORTANT - the screws need to be the SAME LENGTH as the two already there because the screws that hold the prop guards on are longer and can damage the motors if you try to use them without the prop guards.

Make sure you understand this perfectly BEFORE installing the two missing screws or it is very likely you will damage the motors.
2016-5-17
Use props
chirag.saraswat
lvl.1
Germany

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-5-17 14:35
YES.  You need all 4 screws there.  The motors are moving due to the missing two screws causing the  ...

Wow. Don't I feel stupid!
Actually, the issue of Grinding with the motors is the reason I was flying without them in the first place, I saw on some other forums that the screws are to be removed, but they didn't mention that the original screws have to be put back in.
And I later assumed that these screws were specifically there to mount the prop guards only. Since I didn't receive the original screws with the package, Do you guys think buying something like this would solve my problem as well??
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Quick-Rel ... :g:hD0AAOSwUV9WohbD

Or I can get washers/rubber spacers with the thickness of the prop guard's mounting position.

2016-5-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

chirag.saraswat Posted at 2016-5-17 22:45
Actually, the issue of Grinding with the motors is the reason I was flyi ...

Something like this should sort out the problem: http://www.helipal.com/phantom-2 ... sion-screw-set.html
2016-5-17
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

chirag.saraswat Posted at 2016-5-17 20:45

No need to feel stupid.   You obviously are not.    Just didn't understand.
Your idea of using a spacer should work fine.   Keeping the screws from going in too far is all that matters.

I use prop guards on all my Phantoms ALL the time.   I never take them off.     So don't feel pressured to remove them.    Some swear by them, some against them, but they only are a minor hindrance in strong winds and or long long distance flights (over a kilometer approximately imo)

But they do make the Phantom more visible, easier to hold amd in the opinion of many,  a bit safer....and they definitely can protect the props in case of a tip over or of you get too close to a fence or any object.
2016-5-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

chirag.saraswat Posted at 2016-5-17 05:45

You can go to phantomhelp.com, track your model and find a link or on ebay or amazon for a set of quick connect prop guards, they will likely provide the screws for the base and you will be set, just snap the guards on and off he supplied bases which remain fixed to your craft without problem or ever having to deal with the screws again.
2016-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules