Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO car mount on Airplane?
3892 11 2016-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lessinspired
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone successfully shot video with their OSMO from an Airplane using the suction cup mount?Would be on bottom of Cessna 172 traveling at approximately 120 knots.

What is the top speed an OSMO and X5R can handle?

Thanks

2016-5-18
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.1

Russia

You might want to check with the FAA about that!

I trained in the US but flyin the UK now - our CAA (they all have very similar internationally agreed regulations so your FAA will too) has very strict regulations about what can and can't be attached to a plane.

DO NOT rely on just a suction cup on the outer skin, apart from the risk of losing the osmo, the pilot could face prosecution if it fell off and hit something or someone.  You'd need at least a couple of back up safety ties to secure it high enough to be clear of the ground when landing if it came off.

Please be careful and take advice from an aviation photography pro.  Worst case, you really could kill someone!
2016-5-18
Use props
seanemclean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 223061 ft
United States

Car Mount is only rated to 100km/hr, roughly half your intended speed. Would not recommend.
2016-5-18
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

I am helicopter and airplane pilot.  I have personally flown the osmo "naked" on the nose of my helicopter.  The gimbal motors cannot handle more than about 40 mph of airspeed before they get overwhelmed.  You get gimbal overload error messages and the video is not good above 40 mph.  So it will not work on your cessna unless it is protected from the wind.   Also, the vibration from aircraft also mess up the Osmo video.  When you hand-hold an osmo, your body is absorbing vibration for it.  Hard mounted, that vibration creates rolling shutter in the video.

However, to solve these problems I have developed a special camera box specifically for flying the osmo called Skybox.  I've got FAA approval to use it on my helicopter.   The box has a gyro in it to cancel helicopter vibration.   If you have the budget and a legal mount for your cessna, we could adapt our helicopter box for airplane use.  We are focused on helicopters for now since you get an unobstructed forward view on helicopters and the speeds are lower and you fly much lower, of course.   

Here's a video of clips taken from our Skybox (code name Gyrobox).   

Here's X5R video over NYC I just took again, with the skybox!

2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
The suction cup mount is not compatible with the Osmo Raw (X5R camera), it's only recommended using with the Osmo (X3 camera), plus, the resistance of the suction cup mount is just about 100km/hr.

Thanks.
2016-5-18
Use props
lessinspired
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the answers everyone.
2016-5-19
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi I've hired planes before & microlights for photoshoots. Just open the window & point the osmo out. Especially as its all going to be stabilised its perfect. Or you can hire planes with a special 'lens port'.
2016-5-19
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-5-19 16:46
Hi I've hired planes before & microlights for photoshoots. Just open the window & point the osmo out ...

As long as the osmo camera head isn't stuck too close to the window such that it is affected by the wind.   The Osmo can't handle side winds of more than 30mph, even shooting out a window, in my experience without ruining the video quality.
2016-5-20
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.1

Russia

tedrosenberger Posted at 2016-5-18 22:19
I am helicopter and airplane pilot.  I have personally flown the osmo "naked" on the nose of my heli ...

This option looks amazing!

FAA approval too so you know it's safe!
2016-5-20
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270528 ft
Israel

Hi,I've read this interesting post.
2019-5-8
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Israel

Hi,ring purchasing
2019-5-8
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Israel

Hi,

I've read though this interesting post.

I'm considering purchasing the Osmo for use with my LSA plane, to be mounted below the wing.
At the moment I use a TomTom Bandit, which is much heavier and the video quality is reasonable.
I'm looking for a replacement, was considering the Gopro Hero 7 Black - and then found the Osmo.

When I connect my Bandit to the airplane, I set it a a fixed angle relative ot the ground (I film the scenery, not the cockpit).
So my question is, how would I do it with the Osmo? Is it possible to lock the gimbal angle?
What is the relative horizon that the gimbal aligns itself with? Always fully horizontal?
Our mx flight speed is about 120mph. The Bandit is attached to the bottom of the wing using a standard Gopro sticker. The Bandit has a standard adapter to the Gopro sticker.
Even though the Bandit is massive compared ot the Osmo, I barely have vibrations using this setup.

Thanks.
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules