My take on FW -P3S
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

Alright so I have been reading through the P3 forum here and noticing a lot of people claiming the older FW 1.5.7 is better than the new 1.6.8. When I purchased my drone (5/4/16) I took it out of the box and allowed everything to fully update, so I was running 1.6.8 OTB. Upon flying it for a 2 weeks and reaching around 2200 ft within my neighborhood( 2500 homes, avg lot is .7 acre and EVERYONE has high end routers as well as above ground power lines surrounding the greater are) so last night I downgraded the drone to 1.5.7 and decided to see if I could get better range. I can't make it past 650ft now without having to hold the controller up and simply turn around to re-gain connection. I came back inside and upgraded back to 1.6.8 and threw in a new battery and went for a flight..... My first flight I hit 2450ft before connection started to weaken, flew it back and did it again. The drone performs superb on FW 1.6.8 and I will not be downgrading again! My FPVLR long range antenna kit is on the way and I'll post pictures and results upon receiving it!
2016-5-18
Use props
emkisb
lvl.1

Lithuania

It's good to hear that firmware 1.6.8 works well with your quad. Are you flying in CE or FCC mode?
2016-5-18
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

Here in the states, believe it would be FCC.
2016-5-18
Use props
emkisb
lvl.1

Lithuania

Yes then it should be FCC for sure
2016-5-18
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

And what about the firmware of the RC, needs to be downgraded also or do u use the last version?
2016-5-18
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

First, I'm happy that you were able to downgrade and then upgrade successfully.

I find that information pretty interesting and it actually reinforces what many others complain of when they upgrade their firmware. I experienced the exact opposite with the same two firmware versions on my P3S. When I upgraded to 1.6.8, it rendered my drone pretty much useless beyond 200 feet (sometimes 50 feet). Switching back to 1.5.7 completely restored my performance. There is something weird going on here. Some people experience terrible results with a particular upgrade while the majority, it seems, do not. Don't know if it's different hardware or that DJI's upgrade process has some bugs in it. Either way, I think DJI should investigate and fix the problems, instead of denying that anything is wrong, telling us how to point our antennas, and saying we need to send our drones back for repair, at which point it becomes our fault and we are charged for repair, or at the very least, pay to send it to the repair center. I also find that it's pretty strange that they would never provide a method of downgrading the firmware. This only resulted in some pretty angry customers.
2016-5-18
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
United States

jason666 Posted at 2016-5-18 15:15
And what about the firmware of the RC, needs to be downgraded also or do u use the last version?

I don't think that applies to the Standard in the case of the last update. Unless of course that is the problem with the process.
2016-5-18
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
United States

MTR-Aerial,
Question - Were you able to downgrade using the DJI Go app or did you use this method? http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html

If you used the app, that could be the problem in the upgrade process also. I was not able to use the downgrade process in the app (another problem).
2016-5-18
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

I have so many sd cards, i just downloaded the FW from phantomhelp, threw it on the sd card... connected controller to app... turned on drone with SD card in it... and it downgraded itself! same to re-upgrade
2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Glad to hear that.Enjoy your flight and feel free to post your videos or photos here.
2016-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules