Drone Pan
5038 23 2016-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cujoAir
lvl.1

Has anyone used Drone Pan? Is it reliable?
Thanks
2016-5-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

What is drone pan?  The camera does not pan.  You rotate the drone in place to pan.
2016-5-18
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

It's a smart phone app. If it works like Litchi does, it rotates the craft, taking still images at pre-programmed intervals (but I'm not sure since I haven't used Drone Pan).
2016-5-18
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Just tried Drone Pan for the first time today. I have a Phantom 3 Professional w/ an iPad Air (I think).. Updated to latest firmware and latest DJI Go App.. Put the drone up in the air around 400', opened Drone Pan, began to take pictures and then it just froze. I closed Drone Pan and went back to DJI Go and it said no connection... At this point I started to freak out a bit as I had no control and the drone was about 400' up. I closed DJI Go and reopened it luckily to regain control and begin to bring it in. Once I got it within about 10 feet away my iPad shuts off saying that it was too hot and I needed to wait for it to cool down. I grabbed the drone mid air and pulled the battery. Was very scary, not sure how confident I am in that app... If I try it again it will be at home  and not that high up. I got lucky.
2016-8-20
Use props
terrierist
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Drone Pan can be used with quite a few DJI products, not just the Phantom. First thing to remember is that if you do get the disconnected message is not to panic, your quad will still fly without the DJI GO app.

It can be used to film multi-row panoramas that will then need stitching in other software such as photoshop, pt-gui, Lightroom, autopano etc..

Here's a shot from a recent flightTerrierist.co.uk

differing numbers of rows and images can be selected, however, if flying in strong winds the stitch of the image can be affected.

The remote control has to be put into intelligent flight mode to use the software.

It has been buggy I must admit, but it is useful
2016-8-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-8-20 19:32
Just tried Drone Pan for the first time today. I have a Phantom 3 Professional w/ an iPad Air (I thi ...

Why would you not simply power it down after landing rather than pull battery.

even with app closed or shut down the RC should have full flight control and the quad will fly fine.

don't for get you can switch out of P mode with the RC to ATTI and then back to gps if an app freezes etc.

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-8-21
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-8-21 10:12
Why would you not simply power it down after landing rather than pull battery.

even with app clos ...

I had no way to power it down... My iPad shut off saying it needed to cool down. After that there is NO CONTROL. While it is hovering 4 feet above the ground, no ipad... all I could do was pull the battery.
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-8-21 07:32
Just tried Drone Pan for the first time today. I have a Phantom 3 Professional w/ an iPad Air (I thi ...

When your iPad shuts down from overheating it will not affect the aircraft, you can still easily fly it.
You do not even need the iPad to takeoff, fly around, then land. You just need to read the manual and memorize what the LED's mean.
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

I have never tried it, as I only use the GO app.
2016-8-21
Use props
Schluter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 543323 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-22 07:10
When your iPad shuts down from overheating it will not affect the aircraft, you can still easily f ...

Ken, spell check not working ?
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Schluter Posted at 2016-8-22 07:17
Ken, spell check not working ?

WOW, didn't see that one, sorry about that.
2016-8-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-8-21 16:21
I had no way to power it down... My iPad shut off saying it needed to cool down. After that there  ...

The RC and quad are still fully functional with or WITHOUT the ipad.
The ipad is mainly for video and data from the quad to the operator to see status.

all RC controls will work as normal...

good luck and have fun flying...
2016-8-21
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

As I understand it, ANY autonomous flight initiated in the app (excluding RTH) requires you to have the mode switch set to F. It follows that when the app crashes and you lose manual control of the aircraft, you just switch to P or A and you should regain full control.
2016-8-21
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-21 19:10
When your iPad shuts down from overheating it will not affect the aircraft, you can still easily fl ...

Didn't realize that mostly because I always Land using the auto-land feature so when the ipad went out I had no idea how to land.. I have my controls configured differently than how it came - to match what I came from (AR Drone).. Anyway, thanks for the advice.
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-8-24 02:28
Didn't realize that mostly because I always Land using the auto-land feature so when the ipad went ...

No problem, you should fly around some without the app just so you are familiar with it. Also you should fly in a windy area and fly in ATTI mode but do these in a large area.
One day you may lose GPS and the aircraft goes into ATTI mode and will drift with the wind. If your are confident in ATTI mode then you will not panic.
Also, you will most always lose video before RC since RC control takes much less data then video transmission. So if you ever lose video, just expand the map view and fly the green line back home.
2016-8-23
Use props
Ninefingers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2153967 ft

I use it all the time and with an ipad mini. It does get hot the ipad that is and is good for one pano in drone pan if its not to hot outside. Microsofts Photosynth program works well with drone pan images and its free. as for the dronepan app. after you get it dialed in, p3p here at 4 rows and six columns works fine, its not to bad. the heat is an issue for the ipad mini and if the ipad shuts down during the pano shoot, just take it out of intelligent flight mode back to normal (flip switch from f to p) and land the drone no ipad needed unless you cant see the drone then rth and pray.
2016-8-25
Use props
fansc3c4be1f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259787 ft
United States

After the latest Phantom 4 pro update I am having trouble with Drone Pan. After the pan it locks up the bird..not direct control, remove drone Pan and bring up DJIGO and nothing better.
2017-4-17
Use props
fansc3c4be1f
lvl.1
United States

Slight yaw ability, but no up or down, no left right, forward or back!. Only solution is RTH and the cut that and control returns to DJIGO.
2017-4-17
Use props
fansc3c4be1f
lvl.1
United States

I have the latest of both software programs. What I think I am missing is a way to properly shut drone pan down.. any suggestions?
2017-4-17
Use props
fans7fa9b707
lvl.1
Spain

How should I use drone pan with PH4pro because I los conection when I want forma the ap drone pan to Dji go again sticks no work
2017-5-12
Use props
tohmee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21378 ft
Germany

Somebody tries Dronepan with the Spark?
2017-6-26
Use props
fansc3c4be1f
lvl.1
United States

Dronepan is all I use on my 360 interactive web site www.lookdownpictures.com.  Hank
2017-9-9
Use props
fansc3c4be1f
lvl.1
United States

Very reliable. I use 8x4 for 34 total shots and seldom have stitching errors on PTGui.  www.lookdownpictures.com
2017-9-14
Use props
RafaelBoy
New

Brazil

My drone had one the same problem mentioned, I had no more control and ended up falling from a height of 60m
2017-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules