Low battery, RTH at 62%?
1727 24 2016-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Anyone get low battery, RTH at hight bettery percentage? Happened to me once, happened to a buddy of mine tonight, twice, once on each battery. Both happened at about 10K out. The first time, he let it RTH. I was flying his the second time, cancelled the RTH, and kept going. Battery level remained red for awhile, then returned to green. Flight was 14,666ft out. Good looking signal scores.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=LhyBJb&page_id=GENERAL

2016-5-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Happened to my p3p latest fw, latest go app, iOS version before 9.31 air at  %81 6k out. Date  5/16/2016. The only time this has ever happened in nearly a year.
2016-5-18
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
United States

Only happened the once to me as well. Weird glitch.
2016-5-18
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Is it possible that the phantom is trying to figure battery required to return home, so it engages RTH sooner? 10k ft distance, at 62%, so 38 gone, it maybe figures it needs another 38% to return home, which would put you at a bit above 20% when u get home.. that would sort of add up?
2016-5-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-19 12:54
Is it possible that the phantom is trying to figure battery required to return home, so it engages R ...

The smart RTH feature.?????
2016-5-18
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

I had that happen twice today. Both times I was under heavy load with full forward throttle and  full vertical gain. It happened about 82% on one and about 70 on the other flight. My logs show nothing unique. I was about 8k out when it happened.
2016-5-18
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
United States

I hope not. Not a nanny I'd want.
2016-5-18
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
United States

digdat0 Posted at 2016-5-19 01:11
I had that happen twice today. Both times I was under heavy load with full forward throttle and  ful ...

Huh. Somethings going on.
2016-5-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-19 13:14

I'm pretty sure it is the smart rth function, which basically does the following:
Smart go home will trigger a RTH when you fly far and you reach the H in the middle of flight time remaining - this is where you have just enough battery to turn around and get back. So the phantom decides when it it's smart to turn around!!!! So you guys at 10k out and full throttle forward and up makes the p3 decide that at the current flight characteristic, it's times to go home!!! I'm sure you know that This feature can be disabled!

I don't know if I made sense here or not, but that's what I think is going on.
2016-5-18
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

That smart RTH feature, has been in the P3 since it was first released.
It was a deciding factor that made me purchase one.
I don't think it's an update thing.
Un less.. It's been made smarter in the updates{:4_181:}
2016-5-18
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

So disable smart RTH, and be aware you may NOT have enough power to return home, esp. if you encounter headwind....
But it does sound like smart RTH enable... So all u have to do is disable the nanny, and try the same flight characteristics again.
2016-5-19
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-19 11:04
Only happened the once to me as well. Weird glitch.

Did you take off on a partially charged battery?  And when is the last time you cycled your battery.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-19 12:54
Is it possible that the phantom is trying to figure battery required to return home, so it engages R ...

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

This is a part of the Low Battery Return to Home failsafe. The thresholds for the low battery warnings can adjust from the ones you preset depending on the aircraft's current altitude and distance from the home point. This helps to ensure that the drone would have enough power to get back to you safely from far distances. This information is present when you read the Low Battery Failsafe section of the most current aircraft manuals.

2016-5-19
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
United States

Thanks guys, you nailed it.

Turned that sucker off!
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-20 02:36
Thanks guys, you nailed it.

Turned that sucker off!

You have it turned off and what if you really get immersed into whatever you're looking at far away from you and you don't notice the time going by and then you are notified with a low battery warning. Then what?
I've seen it happen a few times.
2016-5-19
Use props
GregSki Phantom
Second Officer
United States

I assume you HAVE to then land wherever, record the location, and drive there quickly, before your aircraft grows either legs or roots? Certainly for any long range flight, you need to have a remote landing plan... I totally agree with DJIs approach on that, as well as with the ability for the user to disable that option. That's a good combo, and well thought out.. Now, if the user screws up.. tough....
One thing I would suggest, is that perhaps in DJI GO, if you long hold an option you get a balloon with a quick description on what that option means, or a link to a tutorial on that option....
I never fully realized what smart RTH did, until this post. I had a rough idea, that it does some additional failsafe, but never considered the actual details. Is there anything else in that option that we should be aware of? Also, when calculating the power needed for RTH, does phantom 3 take into account anything wind related? How about p4?
2016-5-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Oh no! My cool name got truncated?! Well, then I guess I'll skip Greg and be Phantomski only... ;)
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GregSki Phantom Posted at 2016-5-20 03:37
I assume you HAVE to then land wherever, record the location, and drive there quickly, before your a ...

it does not account for wind.
2016-5-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

This happened to me.  I was,  however, flying into a headwind.  My forward progress was only about 10mph.  The drone started screaming at me about low power.  It we in the red on the indicator line.  But I over rode it because I am smarter than the drone.  I knew the tailwind would be a big help.  And it was. Got home in 2 1/2 mins at over 50mph.  Still had 46 percent left.
2016-5-19
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-19 14:55
You have it turned off and what if you really get immersed into whatever you're looking at far awa ...

That's always a possibility, but since I'm not much of a sightseer, and fly mini quads, where you always keep an eye on your battery, I'm confident I can do a better job that the nanny.

And if not, you guys make more Phantoms, so...
2016-5-19
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-19 00:14

Nope, as ray said. It's a smart RTH function. The phantom detects how much battery is needed to return. If it hit's that level, it will initiate an RTH.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-5-20 04:08
That's always a possibility, but since I'm not much of a sightseer, and fly mini quads, where you a ...

Very true
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-5-20 03:51
This happened to me.  I was,  however, flying into a headwind.  My forward progress was only about 1 ...

Very nice, I always try to start into the wind so i know I'll always be able to make it back
2016-5-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is happening is the program is looking at the voltage and not the current. It is suggested that the battery be recharged  if it has been sitting for more than 3 days. If I am going to fly and the batteries have ben sitting more than 3 days I run the Phantom up on the batteries and then recharge them.
2016-5-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You should avoid maximum power moves to make your battery last longer, both for the mission, and for its lifetime.  Maximum power will heat your battery quicker.  The Phantom is not a racer, but a tool of photography.
2016-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules