Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
On Buying a Phantom 4
778 6 2016-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hansalbin56
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

That depends upon whether you want to fly and crash in the same day, or continue to fly for some time.

The simple answer is that the P4, like the P3, is one of the most ridiculously easy aircraft to fly, you just let go of the sticks and it stops where it is in the sky and hangs there waiting for your next instruction.

But if you want to continue to enjoy the aircraft, then you spend some time on this forum reading other folks experiences, sorting out the chaff from the grain, then read the manual several times, and finally make a choice to buy.

When you get the aircraft, try the simulator to get experience of flying it, and finally, and most importantly, fly it in small trips to get used to how it flies and handles. You can get more adventurous as you gain experience. There are lots of traps for new flyers, that's why I suggest you read the posts on this forum.

And lastly, don't immediately upgrade to the latest firmware or software, despite the system goading you into it. There is nothing exciting about the upgrades, and the aircraft will fly perfectly well on whatever it comes with. Leave upgrades until you are ready for the pain involved in them.

And on the subject of 'waiting for the gimbal to be sorted', you will wait forever and never make the purchase, because there is always a new issue to deal with. Buy from a good dealer where you get a warranty that includes being able to exchange the aircraft within 7 days if it turns out to be faulty.

2016-5-21
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-5-21
Use props
wxeye
lvl.2
United States

I would say that someone with no experience can easily start out with a Phantom 4.  The one thing I would suggest is find a very large open area for practicing. That was key for me.  No small back yard settings with trees all around.  It takes off really easy but  it sometimes gets confusing as to what way its facing.  Once you get the feel for it the drone flies really easily but it can move quite fast and doesn't brake on a dime so stay away from everything even with the obstacle avoidance things can happen.   I did buy a $50 drone for practice but its not really necessary.  If you live near a larger city you could always look to meet up with someone  with a Phantom.  Good luck.  
2016-5-21
Use props
hansalbin56
Banned

United States

2016-5-21
Use props
russontheroad
Banned

United States

2016-5-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hansalbin56@hot Posted at 2016-5-22 04:30
Thanks for the insight and advice guys!

Some good information above, pay particular attention to the RTH (Return To Home) procedures. For example if aircraft is within 65 feet 'horizontal' distance from you and RTH is initiated the it will just land straight down where it is. And that could be over water or a tree etc...

Learning all the functions of the P4 is great fun, I think you'll be surprised at what can be achieved.
2016-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules