3649 3 2016-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So the x5 is brilliant but like all cameras with changing lenses etc we get dust & stuff on the sensor.

How do DJI reccomend cleaning the sensor?

Thanks
2016-5-22
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can consider the X5 to be similar to basic DSLR sensor cleaning.

A word of caution, as more cameras are ruined by improper sensor cleaning methods than improved, so please take some time to search for basic DSLR sensor cleaning articles to gather the basic principles...., such as this one...

While the X5 isn't a reflex camera, the principles are very similar...

2016-5-22
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-5-22 22:31
You can consider the X5 to be similar to basic DSLR sensor cleaning.

A word of caution, as more ca ...

Along those lines, as the sensor in the X5 camera does not have a "low-pass" filter installed over it, (probably the culprit in instances of high moire' when the sharpening is increased above -1), might the sensor be susceptible to damage from the solvents I have been using to clean all the different sensors in my equipment to date?  Has anyone heard of any restrictions in this regard?  DJI, are you listening?  If so, what do you guys know or, have you heard of any advice with regards to sensor cleaning?

On another note, for those of you unfamiliar with sensor debris/cleaning, don't bother opening the camera and looking inside with magnification, use a setting of f/16 or so, point the camera at the clear sky/clouds and take a picture.  When looking at the shot in Photoshop use the highest magnification possible, look for any blurry darker spots in the open sky!  If you see any, you may be needing a cleaning.  They don't move and will be there in every shot.  There is plenty of info available on the net.  Google it and read away.  I'm pretty familiar with this as I have been using digitals DSLR's for many years.  I am a bit hesitant to give any advice here until I get an answer to my "solvent" question.  I have used denatured alcohol and a sensor cleaning agent I got through Dow Chemical, I think.  When I find out about this solvent issue, I will post some DIY info with a few snaps to help those who haven't confronted this sort of thing before.  I know the first time I opened up my Nikon D3, high $$$ pro camera, I was about as nervous as a "land mine" deactivator with his trusty bayonet in hand!  High Anxiety!

Please anybody in the know, please respond.  Thanks in advance!
2016-5-26
Use props
frank_novak
lvl.1

Canada

windwardbound Posted at 2016-5-26 23:15
Along those lines, as the sensor in the X5 camera does not have a "low-pass" filter installed over  ...

The Sensor is sealed in the x5 cameras BEHIND a glass filter.  I know this for i am having issues with dust that somehow got behind the protective filter and onto the actual sensor.  DJI has even advised me to send it in to be taken apart so that they can properly clean the sensor itself and not void my warranty by taking apart the x5 myself.
It is safe to clean that layer of glass using basic camera brushes and blowers.

Look closely at the x5 housing and you will see that the sensor is a good cm below that protective glass. or better yet have a look at these images that someone posted of one taken apart.

http://www.dronecompares.com/dji ... mbal-camera-review/
2016-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules