DJI,Any plans to make the X5R SSD reader Thunder Bolt??
1312 7 2016-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Would you say im being greedy asking for the X5R SSD reader to be thunderbolt 3 capable? Yes, USB3 is way better then legacy USB, but..... its still soooo sloooowwww. 1 min clip takes 6-8 min to export. And no, its not the computer, thats USB 3 being the bottleneck. So, DJI... any plans? Ill throw my money at ya for one
2016-5-22
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
United States

DJI? Bueller?
2016-5-23
Use props
Neraxus
lvl.3

Canada

Fully want this too.
2016-5-23
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
United States

No one else is interested in faster transfer rates??? DJI, any comments?
2016-5-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Doesn't make commercial sense as it will alienate PC users and increase cos. Also, the rate limiting step is not transfer to the computer but transcoding. Right now, DJI CineLight does not fully engage the CPU. Also, if you spend even a few minutes reviewing your videos prior to transcoding, this will obviate any speed gains. One thing that could help is DJI can write an automated ingestion / transcode script so that the process can take place in the background while one is doing other things.
2016-6-8
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-9 03:58
Doesn't make commercial sense as it will alienate PC users and increase cos. Also, the rate limiting ...

But PC users have Thunderbolt as well. Its way more common then it used to be. especially with the newer line of hardware that has been coming out over the last year. Im sure it would cost money to make a thunderbolt version... and ppl will pay. There are LOTS of ppl I'm sure. Time is money, when you have to wait over an hr just to get footage, its worth it. I hope you understand, the reason I'm suggesting the Thunderbolt version is not to help with conversion to ProRes... its to offload the RAW files off the SSD. I could be wrong but, ... its RAW so it would make sense that there is no conversion. So that is pure transfer rate, not transcoding.
2016-6-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

gybo102 Posted at 2016-6-9 23:32
But PC users have Thunderbolt as well. Its way more common then it used to be. especially with the ...

OK I hear you but I remain unconvinced that the real world speed gains are significant enough to reduce generalisability of the hardware. If one is running a two card / camera system, one can be transferring while the other recording. Bottom line is Raw image processing is just time consuming.
2016-6-9
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-9 22:30
OK I hear you but I remain unconvinced that the real world speed gains are significant enough to r ...

I agree, Raw Processing does take time.. which is why I feel every little bit helps. Especially considering the cost of another SSD ($1500) vs the potential price of a Thunderbolt version of the reader ($200 max??) The BUS speed is there... and being an SSD, we should be tapping into well over 3x the USB 3 transfer rate. In my eyes, well worth the money. I agree, for bigger productions where you have people transferring while others are flying/ shooting with the other SSD, that would be beneficial. Im a very small, one person business... An extra SSD does not give me any benefit, faster transfer rates would.
On another note, they could also make a unit that has both interfaces as well... there are PLENTY of devices already like that, not too hard a task im sure.

DJI, any input?
2016-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules