Flying with my drone
1260 13 2016-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jbaltimore01
lvl.1
United States

Hi, I am going to be flying with my drone and all the equipment that goes along with it.  Is there anythig that I need to know?
Thanks
2016-5-23
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Read the manual TWICE
2016-5-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Oh, you mean flying on a plane.

Is it an international, or domestic flight? Domestic flights are not so much of a big deal.
International depends on the customs of your destination, to be sure they even allow such a thing. As usual, you'll want to find out what AC adaptors you'll need to charge devices with.

Because of the batteries — not to mention the way airlines treat check-in baggage — you'll want to take it as carry-on.

Chris

2016-5-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well I would not bother taking any extra batteries with you, as you are going to destroy it long before the first battery runs out of power......
2016-5-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Destroy it?!
2016-5-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Don't worry, it was not clear if he meant out flying with or flying within another aircraft.
I picked the wrong one...lol
2016-5-23
Use props
jbaltimore01
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the help.  I meant flying as in travelling with it not literally flying it.  
2016-5-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

The only way to know for sure is to contact the airline that you are flying with and ask them what the procedure is for taking it onboard.
2016-5-23
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Here ya go,
http://www.bing.com/videos/searc ... D2B85&FORM=VIRE
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello jbaltimore01, here are some safety tips. Hope it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOmkQQJ2KWNL-uRBZsP43-r
2016-5-23
Use props
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28556 ft
Switzerland

Hello JB,
keep the batteries in your cabin luggage. Other than that, I did quite a bit of flying in Europe and Asia with my drone in a backpack and had zero issues. Customs was always fine, zero questions asked and airline staff only see a regular backpack.
enjoy!Nicolas
2016-5-24
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might find some gems of wisdom here:
DJI Forum Search for Previous Travel Threads..........
2016-5-24
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

jbaltimore01 Posted at 2016-5-24 05:46
Thanks for the help.  I meant flying as in travelling with it not literally flying it.

Hey there, I have just flown from Perth to the Gold Coast (Australia) a 5 and a half hour domestic flight with my PH4 and 3 batteries as carry on, I did some research prior to the flight and one of the things that I did and glad that I did is print out the specification page 61 of the manual that details the battery, I don't know if it is the the same in the USA but here in Australia we are not allow to take LiPo batteries on a plane (carry on or check in) that are more than 101 watt hours and the PH4 batteries are 81.3 watt hours so believe it or not we can carry as many as we want up to or carry on weight limit, when I got to the airport and got my ticket the first thing they asked me was about the batteries so I showed them the printed out page 61 of the manual and they just said, "Yes they are ok, they are under 101 watt hours, they're ok. I hope this helps.
2016-5-24
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

ric8 Posted at 2016-5-24 22:58
Hey there, I have just flown from Perth to the Gold Coast (Australia) a 5 and a half hour domestic ...

Thanks for the info, in the US the lipo battery rating is similar but 100 watt hours:
Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery.

per US FAA Pack Safe article

So all of the Phantom batteries are good for hand carry, as are the TB47 Inspire batteries. The TB48 falls into the 101-160 Wh and is limited to two spare carry-on batteries.
2016-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules