How many flights before you flew your dji out of sight?
4176 45 2016-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

...By the way, I always be careful to fly line of sight, especially when I am flying a few thousand feet away.
2016-5-26
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

Actually, I think there is wording in the FAA regulations that not only say that VLOS is defined as seen by the PIC but that the PIC can't even use binoculars because the field of vision will be reduced so that other air traffic might not be spotted.
2016-5-26
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

sorka95032 Posted at 2016-5-26 17:06
Actually, I think there is wording in the FAA regulations that not only say that VLOS is defined as  ...

That would be the same as UK CAA rules.  Direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft, except for normal corrective glasses or contact lenses.
2016-5-26
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

It is not a good idea to state your incorrect version of VLOS FAA rule here. You may be deceiving yourself, OK, that is fine until you get caught, then ignorance is no excuse.

But there are a lot of new pilots reading these forums, so spreading false information is very bad. The correct interpretation is the UAV must be in sight at all times by the pilot. It is OK to look down quickly to check your tablet. But never fly so far away you can't just look back up and immediately see the UAV. For me on a nice clear day this is a max of 1200-1400'.

It is OK to disobey these rules but just know if you do you are in violation of the FAA rules and may be fined if caught, or if something tragic happens and there is an investigation. It is like speeding in a car, it is OK until you are caught.

For 333 holders the rules are even stricter, you must have a licensed pilot fly the UAV and you must have a second observer as well, both have to keep the UAV in sight at all times. Not only that but w/o further permissions you must be 500' away from any person or property (this means any structure or vehicle) not part of the shoot. And you must file a Notam 24-72 hrs before the flight takes place, this is easy but a further step for safety.
2016-5-26
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

How does that 500' rule work for real estate photography for those 333 holders? It will be interesting to see what the new proposal is next month.
2016-5-26
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

sorka95032 Posted at 2016-5-26 14:16
How does that 500' rule work for real estate photography for those 333 holders? It will be interesti ...

If you follow current rules without a special COA then only mansions and farms, where you have more than 500' from next building or road with cars is possible w/o getting permission from all the neighbors and staying away from traffic is possible.

Hopefully this will change with the new rules coming out hopefully this year, the FAA is very slow at rule making. It can take months to get an additional COA. And to get a 333 exception is currently 6-8 months. Hopefully the new PART 107 and testing system will be in place and possible to get in the next 6 months.

I am sure this will all mature and I bet there will even be provisions for FPV in the USA without special permits in the coming years. In the mean time it is up to each individual to obey the current rules, or not and face the possible consequences. As I stated before it is fine until you get caught or are involved in some "incident".

Personally I follow all the rules, and I am a GA pilot as well so I hope everyone is responsible, I don't want to hit a UAV flying in my Cardinal. I have already hit seagulls and believe me they make a mess going through the prop, luckily not the windshield yet. At  a 150 mph you would never see  a Phantom until after you hit it. I almost hit a parachutist once as well flying a 172 and they are big.
2016-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules