IOS DJI Pilot App rev. 0.9.2 In Flight LOCKUP + Unresponsive Remote Control
2976 12 2015-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jvazquez.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2431627 ft
Puerto Rico

Today I was testing the range of my Inspire with customsettings in the HD Video portion (Channel 8 & 4mbps Quality).  I went as far as 1.0 mi without any videobreakups but on my way back (0.85 mi) I got a “Weak Video Signal” warning andvideo started lagging badly until the app completely froze.  Unable to see neither video nor telemetry Itried the “Return Home” button without any luck and tried turning off thecontroller and it would not turn off.  Itried pressing the RTH & the Power button on the controller for the secondtime and did not work. In the meantime my IPhone 6 automatically rebooted and Iunplugged the USB cable from the controller to see if it would make anydifference.  After a few seconds the RTHbeep sound started and I waited for the DJI App to come back up, plugged theUSB cable and I could see that my bird was on its way back and safely landed.After reviewing my flight log I have 3 different entries for the same flight,one for the flight up to when the video started lagging, the second one for a singlewaypoint half between the flight path, and the last one with a portion of thereturn home path.  I filmed the whole flight,I was lucky to get my bird back since it hovered in place for 2 minutes whilethe app froze, IPhone rebooted and RTH initiated. I have the latest firmware,IMU calibrated (not before this flight) & compass calibrated before flight.

2015-1-19
Use props
jemclean4105
New

United States

scary situation.. thanks for sharing..
2015-1-20
Use props
duplenne.email
lvl.1

France

Well guys we all know the iOS APP is under maintenance so don't be surprised with that kind of issues.
2015-1-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only use auto settings.  We have seen that at about 500m the channels switch over and then again at about 1km.  This is normal for the lightbridge equipped Inspire.  What iPhone were you using and what was the processor.
2015-1-21
Use props
jvazquez.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2431627 ft
United States

I was using an IPhone 6, A8 Chip.
2015-1-23
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

I had something close to this happen well running two controllers. The camra controller (phone and controller) locked up when the camra operater switched to manual mode. It scared me as the pilot because my screen when to all over exposed warning.  Took me a little bit to get my barings because I had been flying by camra
2015-1-23
Use props
abe.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Getting it out a full mile is pretty impressive. And it appears the Inspire did the right thing when the connection broke down -- it came home -- even with the mobile device rebooting, disconnecting the USB cable and pressing the on/off switch on the RC (any of which could have resulted in unpredictable behavior). Thanks for posting this. It helps all of us better understand the operating limits of the Inspire.
2015-1-23
Use props
anhtuan.nguyen.
lvl.1

South Korea

well happened to me every single time I've flown with my 6+. the app would freeze once and after I reboot the phone, everything was normal after that though. the 24 hour support said that the problem was with the app and iPhone 6 and 6+ and told me to wait for and update of the app (if it ever come out). Did two flight with my Air 2, the 1st one the device rebooted in the same manner with phone, the second one went smoothly...
2015-2-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

I had this (loss of video / telemetry contact followed by uncertain control status  happen when I was about 1.2km out on a test flight). I ignored the 'weak video signal' message but recognised the danger of control loss there were trees that cause loss of line of sight.  As I had ample time left, I did not activate RTH and it did not fire off on its own. The app went blank and then rebooted. I regained vision and telemetry and the craft basically stayed in place during that 2 min or so. Yes, I was afraid I might lose the craft but after over 100 flights on P2's - I trust RTH once a home point is locked in. \

The video record did break into two segments, one pre-control loss and one post-control recovery as did the telemetry file that got saved in 'User Centre'. Just as you described

Since then, I've gone out to 1.7km with clear line of sight contact without problems. Video reception sort of breaks up intermittently and you can see the tx searching for optimal channels. The nav system on the Inspire is pretty good (captures Glossiness in addition to GPS). These were strictly test flights where the focus was on flying. For video work, I would recommend keeping within a km. Inspire is easier to fly and more stable than a P2 although for hiking, the P2 is more practical.
2015-2-9
Use props
tonygriffis.gma
lvl.2

United States

I had exact thing happen with android 1.05 using Nvidia Sheild, so it isn't your iPad.
2015-2-10
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

I have an iPad Mini 2 and the app crashed (disappeared from the screen) just after motor start, but before takeoff.....  Quickly powered down motors, powered off everything and restart, recalibrate just be sure!!

Happens every now and then.  I think that because I use this tablet exclusively for flying the Inspire, I will power it off after every flight so that it has a "clean boot" each time.
2015-2-10
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Exact same thing happened to me with nexus 7 and android 1.04 (before upgrading). I don't lose control over the bird itself but the app disconnects and will not connect until a reboot of both devices. I flew her back and landed easily. But it completely screws up filming if you suddenly don't have fpv.
2015-2-10
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

DJI says it is not 100% safe to fly with the 9.2 iOS app and advise not to fly till the official app will provided by DJI.
:@
2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules