Video feed not showing on Samsung Galaxy S3 in DJI GO app
3916 24 2016-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I can't see any live video displayed on my Galaxy S3 phone within the DJI GO app (the phone is running on Android 4.4.4). Everything else works fine, device connects and all camera settings can be adjusted and I can pan/tilt the camera lens by using hold & drag on the phone screen, etc - I just can't see any preview image from the camera displayed on the phone's screen.

I'd very much prefer to use this slightly more compact device with the Osmo rather than my main Galaxy Note 3 phone (which works fine, but is a bit big) - any thoughts?

Andre

2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Specification of Samsung Galaxy S3: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9305_galaxy_s_iii-5001.php
Referring to the specification of Samsung Galaxy S3, I'm afraid it may not be very powerful enough to run DJI GO App. You'd better use a recommended mobile device for a better user experience.

Thanks.
2016-5-27
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

It's not that old a device, and it copes fine with other streamed video over wifi. It's not that it struggles or stutters, there is no video displayed AT ALL, only the overlaid graphic icons and controls.

As Google Play allows installation on this phone (which it didn't for my older HTC Desire-Z) one must assume the developers think it should work. Are there any other Galaxy S3 users out there for whom this works I wonder?

Andre
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-2 05:51
It's not that old a device, and it copes fine with other streamed video over wifi. It's not that it  ...

Hi Andre,
Could you please try your Osmo with another mobile device of a higher configuration? If the issue is not out of the mobile device, we'll look into the issue in another possible way.

Thanks.
2016-6-1
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

As I said, my Note 3 copes OK. However on the S3 video playback is not even being attempted (the video background is completely black) which tends to point to an issue with the app not actually trying to output video (it does everything else, allows settings adjustment, sees online saved content, moves the camera head, records, etc). Can you confirm if this is the case, that there is something specific in this hardware causing the issue? I may need to get a cheap phone to use as a viewfinder and want to know what specific things you need for your app so I know what types to avoid.

Andre
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-4 18:04
As I said, my Note 3 copes OK. However on the S3 video playback is not even being attempted (the vid ...

Hello.
About the another phone used as a viewfinder, please make sure that your phone is capable to process 1080p image at least.
I'm afraid that not every mobile device is compatible with the DJI GO App, please refer to the recommended mobile devices' specifications in DJI official website: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
If there's something wrong with the hardware, you can try to re-upgrade the firmware and send us the log file to us for analysis firstly, once it's proven that the issue is out of the inner module, you'll have to send it in for repair.
At present stage, I think the most possibility may be the incompatibility of your phone or the SD card. The DJI GO App is a little demanding to the properties of the mobile device, please have a double check with your phones.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
2016-6-4
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

If you don't know, it might be quicker to just say that.

But the S3 does not have a 1080 display (although it can process 1080p video files) so if that is what is definitely required then I know what to look for in a cheap extra device. Can I suggest that you block Google Play downloading for any devices with lower resolutions than 1920x1080 then? Thanks.

Andre
2016-6-4
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-4 21:47

But the S3 does not have a 1080 display ...

Have you tried,(or dose it have) 5.8ghz wifi connection? I have heard that the GS3 struggles with the app
I use the latest 32g iPod touch, dedicated just for the osmo, have been using it for around 6 months now with no problems.
2016-6-4
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-6-5 02:14
Have you tried,(or dose it have) 5.8ghz wifi connection? I have heard that the GS3 struggles with  ...

The Galaxy S3 phone supports 5Ghz wifi, which as it happens I normally use for connecting to home network, but I could try setting the Osmo to that to see if it makes a difference (not sure why it would though, that won't change data transfer rates).

Andre
2016-6-5
Use props
syncodex
lvl.1
Germany

Hi. I'm using an old S3 occasionally with my Osmo & DJI Go. It works fine unless ist seems to drop frames whe the cam is moved quickly. The WiFi is stable and reliant. My Xperia Z2 has better video performance but worse WiFi... Seems that overall compatibility to different devices is still a quite individual issue
Helmut
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-4 21:47

Thanks for your suggestion.
The capability of processing 1080p image at least is our recommendation for a better user experience. In some occasion, you may find some substandard mobile devices can run the DJI GO App properly as well, we need to think about the properties in a whole generally. We would like to leave more choices for our customers.
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

syncodex Posted at 2016-6-5 20:34
Hi. I'm using an old S3 occasionally with my Osmo & DJI Go. It works fine unless ist seems to drop f ...

Thanks for all of your feedback about the mobile devices.
More information will give our people more references.
Hope you all enjoy the Osmo and find our forum helpful.
2016-6-5
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

syncodex Posted at 2016-6-5 13:34
Hi. I'm using an old S3 occasionally with my Osmo & DJI Go. It works fine unless ist seems to drop f ...

Thanks, so at least I know the Galaxy S3 is capable of being used as a viewfinder device then (a bit of visual skipping is fine, as long as the master files recorded on the Osmo's SD Card are OK).

I'm running the latest 4.4.4 ROM that I can find for this device, but maybe that's where the problem lies? What ROM version do you have on your S3? Thanks.

Andre
2016-6-7
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've now tried clean (full-wipe) installs of five different Galaxy S3 (i9300) ROMs now, including ASOP-based, stock-based, and CyanogenMod, 4.4.2 and 4.3 and 4.4.4. None of them give me preview video in the DJI app (even when that is the only app installed after a clean device reset), although all other functions and camera controls operate perfectly. Very strange that it works for Helmut.

Andre
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-8 06:09
I've now tried clean (full-wipe) installs of five different Galaxy S3 (i9300) ROMs now, including AS ...

Thanks for your information.
Those tested mobile devices may just have a different image processing "strategy" which leads to the failure.
Since you've found out that it works well with the "Helmut", at least it implies that your Osmo is working normally, the issue you encountered before is just out of your mobile device.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
2016-6-7
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-4 14:23
Hello.
About the another phone used as a viewfinder, please make sure that your phone is capable to ...

DJI-Adela,
Why are you asking a customer if his phone is able to process 1080p when the video streaming from the OSMO is ALWAYS 720p?
2016-6-7
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-4 17:47

Dear Andre,
Don't be mislead by Adela's reply. The video issue described appears on phones with 1080p displays. I have already posted about another phone which used to work perfectly with the OSMO and stopped receiving live feed after upgrading to last firmware and DJI GO app. If the phone is not white-listed on DJI website do not expect much support from them, but I am quite sure usually is not caused by the hardware of the phone or even the Android build version. Most likely to root cause is a software bug, which is understandable. What I don't understand is why there's no method of diagnostic in such scenarios, in which logs are created and sent for further investigation, thus helping in finding a workaround or a fix.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2016-6-7
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-6 07:36
Thanks for your suggestion.
The capability of processing 1080p image at least is our recommendatio ...

Adela,
Phones with FHD display (1080p), 6 cores, 2Gb ram and amazing performance with any other apps used still randomly fail live preview with DJI Go app. Can you explain why this may happen after an upgrade of the DJI Go application? If it worked fine with an older version of the app and firware, why would it stop working after the upgrade?
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-6-7
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-8 02:09
I've now tried clean (full-wipe) installs of five different Galaxy S3 (i9300) ROMs now, including AS ...

Check with Helmut OSMO firmware too.
If both of you are running the same firmware, it might be a good idea to test for WiFi interference. Is what I was suspecting to happen in my home. A bit busy these days, but I have 2 Android phones with such issues and planning to investigate further in the near future. I have offered all the details on these forums and I could send even captured network packets if only DJI would be interested to investigate. I guess I have to do everything myself since they offer support only for the handful of mobiles listed on their website.
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-8 12:50
DJI-Adela,
Why are you asking a customer if his phone is able to process 1080p when the video stre ...

Hi Bornish,
The live feed in the DJI GO App is transmitted from the OSMO via the OSMO WiFi, from the original image to the live feed, there's some compressing or post-processing involved.
Please have a look at this webpage about wireless image transmission, I hope you will get some insight from it: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/l ... Farnumber%3D4317638

Thanks.
2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-8 13:02
Adela,
Phones with FHD display (1080p), 6 cores, 2Gb ram and amazing performance with any other ap ...

Bornish,
IMHO, in some situation, the hardware and software need to be compatible with each other seemingly to run a program correctly. I think it depends on the mobile device's compatibility or expansibility to determine if the mobile device can support any latter update.
Again, I'll have to say, we need to analyze the situation case by case.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-8
Use props
syncodex
lvl.1
Germany

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-6-8 00:09

My S3 is a plain vanilla one without any customization. All that I have done was resetting it to overall defaults. Maybe that's the point why it is working quite well.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

syncodex Posted at 2016-6-14 15:53
My S3 is a plain vanilla one without any customization. All that I have done was resetting it to o ...

Hello, syncodex
Great to hear of the good news and your feedback.
Hope it will help some of our people.
Thanks.
2016-6-14
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

syncodex Posted at 2016-6-14 08:53
My S3 is a plain vanilla one without any customization. All that I have done was resetting it to o ...

How strange mine won't work whatever I try then.

I could try putting the original ROM back in, but that was Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich I think. What Android version has yours updated to, and I'll try with that stock version. Thanks.

Andre
2016-6-15
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I reverted my S3 back to the last released Samsung stock ROM (4.3) via Odin, and (after a mild soft-brick of the phone because I'd forgotten to revert the kernel too, oops!) video previewing in the DJI Go app now works fine. Many thanks for all the user comments here, otherwise I might just have accepted that only 1080 resolution devices would work with the app.

I would suggest that the Google Play block on market installs for this device (Samsung Galaxy S3, I9300) can now be removed, as I had to use the APK from the site to initially install the app.

Andre
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules