123Next >
4720 82 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I will be day light testing my lume cubes in a thorough fashion today.
Heading over to www.ercha.ca mid afternoon, to fly and banter with the fellow RC comrades. ;-)

Hope to see you there. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-12
Use props
gmccurdy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft

Is night flying legal in Canada?

I get from the new USA FAA #107 rules that it isn't allowed after twilight, and just daylight hours?
2016-8-12
Use props
datincan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United Kingdom

Or you could just get a standalone super light weight strobes http://www.flyingtech.co.uk/elec ... 8B-usb-rechargeable

2016-8-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-8-12 11:46

I get from the new USA FAA #107 rules that it isn't allowed after  ...

When certain shots require night flights,  We need to bend the rules... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-12
Use props
gcoan2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655600 ft
United States

Silly question, totally off topic... how do you start a new topic or new thread in the forum?
2016-8-12
Use props
gcoan2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655600 ft
United States

gcoan2000@yahoo Posted at 2016-8-12 20:23
Silly question, totally off topic... how do you start a new topic or new thread in the forum?

Disregard... not possible using Galaxy Tab S2, but the "new" button was available on my Galaxy Note 4.
2016-8-12
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-8-12 10:46

I get from the new USA FAA #107 rules that it isn't allowed after  ...

Yeah but the 107 thing is for commercial use.
2016-8-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Being. Canadian those particular rules wouldn't apply to me. But no, we aren't supposed to fly RC, after dark. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-14
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-11 14:38
Well heck yeah. "Put on your sailin' shoes"

Time for a quick awesome tune before I evacuate the pre ...

I knew that song(s) could come in handy the other day.  Today I finally used it.  Check the new thread for a Litchi mission etc...

Thanks!

Ok lets see some lights!
2016-8-14
Use props
Orac1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Having some fun with P3 and Lumi Cubes.
I already have a custom LED lighting on my P3 using prop guards and a 2S 2200maH battery sat behind the gimble. I decided to try adding 2 Lumi Cubes sat on either side using the P3 kit:

This setup is right on the edge of the weight limit for the P3, full throttle causes the battery voltage to drop in to yellow and occasionally the red when full throttle climbing. I also tried 4 Lumi Cubes but after about 5 minutes of flying the P3 auto landed due to low battery voltage. I may have gotten away with 4 if I removed the 2S battery and the LED kit on the prop guards.

Great bit of kit and the mounting hardware is very good.

P.S. Apologies for the fuzzy image, it was difficult to fly and film at the same time.
2016-8-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Orac1 Posted at 2016-8-15 01:35
Having some fun with P3 and Lumi Cubes.
I already have a custom LED lighting on my P3 using prop gua ...

Looks great!
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I received mine and also the GoPro mount and I'm very impressed with the quality of the cubes and the mounts. Also seems like a division of GoPro with the packaging.
I haven't installed them yet but will when I have time. They are very bright when walking around the backyard with them. The P4 mounts look very good quality as well.
Lume Cube (Medium).jpg
2016-8-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-15 07:37
I received mine and also the GoPro mount and I'm very impressed with the quality. Also seems like a  ...

Make sure you download the app as well. That is where you will see the strobe functions, and other features.
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-8-15 22:47
Make sure you download the app as well. That is where you will see the strobe functions, and other ...

Ya, already downloaded and registered. Pretty cool app.
2016-8-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just bought a set of the Lume cubes with the P4 brackets. The cubes are pretty heavy, weighing in at 10 oz each, that's 1.25 pounds, not including the brackets. I don't know if the copter will take off with them and the propeller guards.  
2016-8-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-8-15 08:19
I just bought a set of the Lume cubes with the P4 brackets. The cubes are pretty heavy, weighing in  ...

It takes off and flies just fine. Also, they weigh 10.1oz total, not each (including brackets). Check the video in the OP.
2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nice setup @Orac1, very cool... Thanks for sharing. Haha

@DJI-Ken, now you can discover some interesting places to fly at night, or in dim light, to acquire some high quality pics, much better video.
When set at max brightness,1500 lumens at 6000k is a lot of clean light. Interestingly enough we have the ability to set our Phantom 3 Pro' camera at 6000k ;-)
Although you would need to add one of the Drone mounts. https://www.lumecube.com/shop/phantom-3-mounts https://www.lumecube.com/shop/phantom-4-mounts
Perfect match for us guys who want to achieve the best from their kit and valued DSLR photography set up.
Flying at www.ercha.ca three days in a row, I found that once I flew out past the Bluetooth distance, & when I flew back, the contact with the app had been broken.
Even though the Lume Cubes were still on, I could not access the on/off switch remotely. Getting the message that the cubes could not be found, as if they were turned off.

Aside from that, they work great, and I am more than happy to have these as part of my kit. Surprising how far away they could be seen clearly, blinking, & it didn't matter if the cloud was behind the drone, or a perfectly clear blue sky.
Certainly anyone who uses these will attest to their brightness at a great distance, and the ability to see them, from afar.

@Maxi3D, mine takes off without a moan. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2016-8-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-8-15 11:25
It takes off and flies just fine. Also, they weigh 10.1oz total, not each (including brackets). Che ...

Sorry for the misinformation, but the cube feels pretty solid. I thought it would be lighter.
2016-8-15
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Sounds good, any still shots or video?  I am watching for the filter plates to come out and do a combo order of 2 lights, bracket to mount, and whatever colors I can get at the time.

2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-8-15 09:42
Sounds good, any still shots or video?  I am watching for the filter plates to come out and do a com ...

Was there something you wanted to see particularly? There are plenty of professional looking pics and video, for prime example on the website. In case you are on the fence...
https://www.lumecube.com/photo-gallery/
https://www.lumecube.com/video-gallery/

RedHotPoker
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-15 23:33
Nice setup @Orac1, very cool... Thanks for sharing. Haha

@DJI-Ken, now you can discover some intere ...

I also got the P4 mount
2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ah, well speak up young man, we can't see inside the courier parcel. Hahaha
So you are actually in better stead than some of us.  I like the GoPro mount, it looks more professional.

@DJI-Ken, I hope that you get even half the Joy, mine have already brought to me, and my kit.
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-16 00:33
Ah, well speak up young man, we can't see inside the courier parcel. Hahaha
So you are actually in b ...

I thought I had posted it, edited my post.
I'll get to test them out hopefully this week, if not over the weekend for sure. Looking forward to it.
2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

There should be some awesome videos and pics between the several of us, who have these on our drones, and available for other (DSLR) endeavors. ;-)
Eh, perhaps there should be thread started, just to share those photographic joys and success with these marvelous additions to our kit.

I think particularly because we are all in totally different locales and cities, we have a wealth of awesome places to record and share, at our disposal. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-16 01:41
There should be some awesome videos and pics between the several of us, who have these on our drones ...

Go ahead and of of you guys start a thread called something like DJI Phantom / Lume Cube night videos/photos or whatever you think of. I think it would be a cool thread.
2016-8-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-15 13:49
Go ahead and of of you guys start a thread called something like DJI Phantom / Lume Cube night vid ...

I agree this would be cool
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-8-16 05:13

This is your thread, I think you should start the new one
2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-8-15 15:13

I say KOOL!! & look forward to yours and others contributions. ;-)

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60960-1-1.html

RedHotPoker
2016-8-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-15 17:29
I say KOOL!! & look forward to yours and others contributions. ;-)

http://forum.dji.com/thread-609 ...

Thanks for starting that. I'll try and get some good footage this weekend.
2016-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

No problem. Thanks for the awesome introduction video and positive comments.

Looking forward to contributing and sharing, with others. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-15
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got a set over a week ago and loved them until taking the mounts off the Phantom and one of the broke. It broke at a point that looks like the 3D printer missed a spot for 1 or 2 passes. I've sent email request 2 days ago to see if they will replace the mount but still no reply. Has anyone had any direct dealings with the company, and if so, were they responsive etc?

I am going to also send them a recommendation to angle off at least 1 of the corners to make it a bit easier to put/take them on/off with less pressure.
2016-8-16
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

poppylfh-sp Posted at 2016-8-16 16:24
I got a set over a week ago and loved them until taking the mounts off the Phantom and one of the br ...

I broke one of the first set I ordered and I didn't know it was broke until I started to install it on P4. I figured it must have got damaged in my case somehow, I didn't even try to get it warranted, just ordered a couple more sets and vowed to treat them very carefully. they are a little pricey tho just like the cubes,  hehe.
2016-8-16
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-8-16 16:59
I broke one of the first set I ordered and I didn't know it was broke until I started to install i ...

I forgot to mention, I super glued the broken one and let it set a few days and so far it still works ok.
2016-8-16
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>
United States

A followup, got email this evening giving me all info to get broken mount replaced.
2016-8-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

poppylfh-sp Posted at 2016-8-16 15:24
I got a set over a week ago and loved them until taking the mounts off the Phantom and one of the br ...

If you'll send me your email address, I will have someone contact you in the morning.
Edit: ok just read that they are already giving you some replacement parts.

They have been very communicative and considerably considerate, with me. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-16
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-16 20:24
If you'll send me your email address, I will have someone contact you in the morning.
Edit: ok just ...

Agree, they are very helpful. One of the main reasons why I love their product. They are passionate about making sure their customers are taken care of.
2016-8-17
Use props
radiomike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 82438 ft
United States

My Lum Cubes arrived yesterday and took them out to the local flying club to give them a good test. First thing I was concerned by the difficulty putting the mounting bars on the landing gear. Understand the need to fit but the "force" needed to place them in position makes me wonder if they could lead to stress cracks on the landing gear. I also noted that battery consumption was high, going to upload logs and review the data today. With the short Bluetooth range I found once I turned the lights on I could not control them at distance.  But they look cool. Unfortunately a micro weather cell popped up and I left before it got super dark.
2016-8-17
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

radiomike Posted at 2016-8-17 09:41
My Lum Cubes arrived yesterday and took them out to the local flying club to give them a good test.  ...

What is your flight time with the cubes on?
2016-8-17
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-8-17 06:44
What is your flight time with the cubes on?

On my last flight the other day, I still got about 20 minutes.
2016-8-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@Jkeller84, eh yes, I am too? Yup, still getting an amazing 20mins of awesome flight time with both my cubes attached and blinking brightly.

They may be a "little-hefty" to hold, but they are perfectly matched... Balanced and blueprinted. Hahaha

Something incredibly uplifting happened to me, the day I received my Lume Cubes.

I declare, "Hey Look folks,  I've got a HEMI!!"  "Having even more interest" in my RC hobby. ;-)

What a gorgeous sunny, warm with a light morning breeze, day it is.
Looks like a Chance of Drone Flight. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2016-8-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules