Sun Shade/Google/Asus Nexus 7 Recommendations
4402 11 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpalamaro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3127 ft
  • >>>

As a brand-new owner of the Phantom 4, I'm using the Google Nexus 7 as monitor and need a sunshade. Yes, I know there're a bunch out there and could just get on Amazon and order a bunch that I think will work and 'fit'. BUT, worried abut the fitment with the controller set up and would like to learn about someone that has a specific model so I know that fitment will not be a problem. Easy/on-off would be appreciated . . . eg on my Garmin Nuvi, the spring-loaded clip-on a nice easy feature. Hope there's something someone can recommend before I order a bunch LOL.
2016-5-29
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

sorry buddy, i've been using a Google Nexus 7 and I haven't found a sunshade that fits yet at all. The Official DJI smartphone AND Tablet one does not...and multiple 3rd party ones have not as well...it seems they don't want to make a sunshade that will fit a 7" tablet. We're just screwed, i've accepted it. I just can't fly for extended periods in this 90 degree weather. The tablet will COOK.
2016-5-29
Use props
jpalamaro
lvl.2
  • >>>

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-29 21:46
sorry buddy, i've been using a Google Nexus 7 and I haven't found a sunshade that fits yet at all. T ...

Thanks, and I would've tried to brute force the sunshade by buying everything that looks like it will fit. Not sure why something is not 'ok'. But, maybe we'll both get lucky and some Good Samaritan will post a solution. LOL.
2016-5-29
Use props
jpalamaro
lvl.2
  • >>>

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-29 21:46
sorry buddy, i've been using a Google Nexus 7 and I haven't found a sunshade that fits yet at all. T ...

Ok, found a solution. I have the Garmin Nuvi 7" sun shade which clips on. I cut off the bottom bar and while it appears too small for the screen size, it works well as the DJI app doesn't fille the screen. Here's a pic . . Can be found on Amazon, 7" Shade for Garmin Nuvi 7 inch, about 10 bucks. Good luck

[img[/img]
2016-5-29
Use props
wntmldrs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft

I ended up making a sunshade for my Nexus 7 2013. Just black matte sheet plastic. On the Nexys sleeve I attached the side walls of the shade.
Then I made a extra clip on top window for extra bright days. But it is so good that I end up using it all the time. After flying the whole thing folds together.
IMG_2276_111.JPG
IMG_2275_110.JPG
IMG_2272_109.JPG
2016-6-8
Use props
Larsenandson
lvl.2

United States

jpalamaro Posted at 2016-5-29 08:37
Thanks, and I would've tried to brute force the sunshade by buying everything that looks like it w ...

Try hoodman.
2016-6-8
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Finding an effective sunshade is a subject that often comes up on the forum. I think that the solution falls in two schools:
1) Minimalist solution: you want a lightweight tool that will allow you to work outdoors with good mobility. The trick is to simply change the angle of the hood so that you see the reflection of the hood and not yourself. A good commercial answer is the PadHat by HoodiVision. A homemade version would look like the photo below. Hoods at 90° just don't work.

Homemade hood

Homemade hood

2) Ultimate solution: you want to concentrate on filming in a very bright environment, and you don't care much about mobility. Here I think you need to go for the Drone Aviator hood kit by Hoodman. It's a professional solution.

It all depends upon what compromises you are ready to accept.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-6-8
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

For about $6 and an hour to 1.5 hours of your time you can custom make your own to fit your table/phone and your face! But some foam board at the local craft store and some electrical tape.
20160609_060437.jpg
20160609_060506.jpg
2016-6-9
Use props
mlu_penguin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1812192 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use a Nexus 7 - what I did was purchase a DJI shade and then a cheap Nexus 7 case from eBay, (like below) - the type that  has a hard plastic part that the tablet clips into.  I ripped that off of the backing then hot-glued that into the sun-shade.  Without this clip-in part I dropped my Nexus 7 - now I trust it completely.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-M ... :g:pnsAAOSw-W5UuiD4
2016-6-9
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Mlu_penguin has a very good point about securing the tablet (especally with larger hoods). A simple solution I have used is just adding a Velcro hook-loop strip (attaches to the back of the tablet) which passes behind the support bar of the DJI RC controller. Its kept my tablet from falling a few times when the hood was accidentally bumped. Others have taken this a step farther by attaching the tablet and hood assembly to a tripod; have a look at GQ's DJI forum post Tablet sunshade.
2016-6-9
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

These Hoodmans are expensive but they're the best in the business.

Definitely a worthwhile investment imo.
2016-10-31
Use props
WinterRanger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72054 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread but I'm new to this game and I want to use my Nexus 7 2013 now that OTG is fully supported. How about this?  Not a perfect fit but I THINK it would work.

eBay Sunshade 7.9 inch
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules