Steam engines
839 12 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Messing around at a steam engine rally. Good fun, but really hard with the jerky video transmission problems I'm having. FPV could be anything from 2 - 5 second lag..

Not the most artistic video and the empty fair ground looks spooky, but I was only allowed in from 8am - 10am and not much was working. Not an easy place to film in with the people, cars, dogs and trees all over the place.

Interested to hear your comments and suggestions, what sort of shots would you go for?
2016-5-29
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very good, a bit different.

Thanks!
2016-5-29
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

WOW ! Nice Video thanks for share
2016-5-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

This video makes me wish I lived in the U.K.  Awesome steam powered equipment. And the contrast of some of the oldest non muscle powered machinery being captured on video by some of the newest,  most cutting edge hardware available is something that should be emphasized in the video.
That being said,  may I suggest you put some of those cutting edge features to work by setting up your mission using the Litchi app and waypoints.  Using Litchi, you can preprogram the flight route on the tablet without flying it first,  like you have to do on the Dji-Go app.  You can program the camera to point wherever you like from waypoint to waypoint and the speed of the flight.  By adjusting the settings carefully,  you can achieve a very professional looking, smooth video or series of stills or even a panorama shot.  There are a lot of features and it is fun to explore them.  One note of caution:  Be sure to allow enough vertical space to clear any pesky obstructions,  and enough horizontal space to do the same.  The Phantom is very good at following the route,  but GPS is not perfect, so allow a little fudge factor.  By using this method,  the fpv view is not necessary.  You can even program waypoints beyond the normal range of the Phantom while down in the trees with an obstructed line of sight like that.
Just my suggestion.
Steam on.

Edit******
Now that I think about it,  you may be better off using the DJI-Go waypoint feature.  It requires you to fly the route first,  but in this case that may be an advantage.  Fly to where you want each shot and mark that spot as a waypoint.  If there are curves,  you will want to insert a waypoint to navigate around the curve without shooting,  so as to clear obstacles.

2016-5-29
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Surely you Americans have steam powered things?

iirc you made the world's largest steam locomotive didn't you?
2016-5-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-5-29 17:11
This video makes me wish I lived in the U.K.  Awesome steam powered equipment. And the contrast of s ...

I need to experiment more with waypoints, still dont trust them in tight spaces. Good tips, thanks.
2016-5-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-5-29 09:58
Surely you Americans have steam powered things?

iirc you made the world's largest steam locomotive ...

Sure,  we made lots of steam powered stuff.  But too see a large collection all in one place,  well,  that's a sort of special treat I would like to see.
2016-5-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-5-29 10:40
I need to experiment more with waypoints, still dont trust them in tight spaces. Good tips, thanks ...

Caution is definitely called for with waypoints.  My first try at them went so well that I got cocky.  Programmed the next flight to be the same as the first one exactly,  except at about 5 meters altitude.  
All I had to do was buy and install a new $450.00 camera and the Phantom was good as new.  Well,  new set of props also.
I had very carefully calculated everything so as to clear a lot of obstacles and especially power lines.  And I did.  But I did not clear the telephone line which hangs about  8 feet below the power lines on the same poles,  right at about 5 meters up.
But once you get the hang of them and build a little confidence in your own abilities, you would be amazed at the stuff you can do.
2016-5-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Nice video! It would be better to use a classic piece of music as the background music.
2016-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yeah, I don't know about music, it is over-used in my opinion. I would have recorded the sounds of the rally itself and edited them under the pictures. Adding to what has been said, I would shoot at a faster frame rate and change the setting on yaw, and tilt to make them slower and smoother.

If lag is bothering you, look to the device you are using on the RC unit, it has the biggest bearing on lag. A faster device lags much less than a slow one.

2016-5-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lag is gone with new app update.

Ordered an Osmo with extender poll. Most of those shots would be much easier and less stressful from the ground. Just use the phantom for general overview shots and maybe try a seamless edit between phantom and Osmo. Next rally in August so lots of time to practice and hopefully the video will be better.

Struggling to find music that fits, think background steam engine noise would be better maybe.
2016-6-10
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

it is so cool
how long have you fly a drone?
2016-6-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks Ricky, I have 6 hours 23 minutes (39,382 meters) total flying according to the app, and maybe another 6 hours playing with nano quads. Got the Phantom 3 about 3 months ago, first ever flying thing.
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules