LOG or Normal
836 11 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I was talking to a professional photographer recently who used the inspire for video and photos and he said not to shoot in LOG mode but instead just normal colours as LOG left everything looking grainy. So which is better?

The picture attached is unedited and looks grainy, blurry and a bit wierd and was shot on my P3P in LOG mode. The mountains in the background are blurry and the water is very grainy. Even when edited and not compressed online it still looks grainy. So how can this wierd quality be fixed?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.
DJI_0024_1.jpg
2016-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Actually, everything in that picture looks grainy, and there are significant colour errors in some sections. Is this a still or a frame from a video file? If from a video file, what resolution where you shooting in?

Log is not for everyone, you need to know how to post-process it to get the best results from it. And BTW, your friend does not sound like he knows how to handle it.

2016-5-29
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Being professional is not the same thing as being an expert.

What were your camera settings here? A high ISO can cause a lot of graininess (that's a word now), try to keep it down as low as it can go. If you know what you're doing in post processing, LOG is the way forward it will give you a better dynamic range to work with.

Have you seen any of Jim Hare's tutorials? That guy is a Real Pro and IS worth listening to.
2016-5-30
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

markaguille Posted at 2016-5-30 09:06

What were your camera settings here? A ...

Yeah I have watched a lot of Jim Hare's tutorials and they are amazing, and I had the usual low ISO etc I'll just start getting good with post processing and hopefully I can fully remove the grainy effect. Thanks
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-31
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

irp Posted at 2016-5-31 13:58
Looks like it's been over-sharpened, what sharpness setting are you using?

The sharpness in the DJI GO app is on -2 or -3 because I wanted to avoid over-sharpening it in case this happened but clearly it didn't help!
2016-5-31
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

markaguille Posted at 2016-5-30 09:06

What were your camera settings here? A ...

What settings are you using on your phantom if you wouldn't mind telling me, so that I can compare and see what I need to change? Thanks
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

2016-5-31
Use props
abturkington
lvl.2

United Kingdom

irp Posted at 2016-5-31 16:06
Ahh, it's not that then - I think it's useful to narrow down the problem by ruling things out.

A  ...

My ISO was at its lowest of 100 and the shutter speed was at 1/50 which was twice my frames per second so I think that they were both fine also.
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

2016-5-31
Use props
Jakk
lvl.2

abturkington Posted at 2016-6-1 00:35
My ISO was at its lowest of 100 and the shutter speed was at 1/50 which was twice my frames per sec ...

Im having the same problem, I posted about it in my own thread. Shooting low ISO 100/200 full manual, shutter matching frame rate and using D-log with sharpness, contrast and saturation turned down (just like /all/ the tutorials say) and all I get it a grainy image. Very frustrating.
2016-5-31
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

log for sure
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules