Camera not showing preview in cell. Clues welcome...
1279 7 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Hello everyone.

Good to see some familiar faces after a year away.

I've been flying my Vision 2+ regularly and it's been a fantastic source of fun and useful data. But the camera is acting up and I wonder if anyone recognizes the symptoms.

These symptoms are as follows:

1. Basically everything works, apart from the camera preview in my mobile phone. When I click the camera icon in the app, the sliding "shutters" do open, but it just shows black. In other words, I'm flying blind; I record stuff by visually having the camera aimed at the object to be recorded. It gets the job done, but it's awfully hit-or-miss.

2. So yeah, the camera itself records, both video and stills, so it works fine. It just won't send what it sees to my cell phone display. By the way, it has always worked on this (Samsung) cell phone, no worries. It also always worked on my (Samsung) tab, but it's not showing the preview on this tab anymore either. The clips and pictures that are recorded are flawless, just not always as on-point as they would have been if I'd had the use of the camera preview obviously.

2. The little LED indicator on the camera works the same as when the preview was still working. It's not showing a signal that there's a malfunction.

3. There are no other issues with Wifi or anything else. Everything works as before, just not the camera preview.

Some added details:

1. All firmware is the latest, for both copter and RC. I've even re-installed all firmware to make sure that there was no corruption issue.

2. I haven't crashed, or hit anything hard, or dunked the copter in water, so I doubt that anything is jarred loose or corroded. The problem just suddenly appeared.

3. I've tried changing the "Iris" setting of the camera, because I'd heard this might have something to do with it. But it didn't resolve the problem.

4. I've also re-set the camera setting to factory settings altogether. Also, to no avail.

5. Everything else in the display works, the battery power indicateor, sat indicator, wifi indicator, all telemetry, it all works great, apart from the camera preview signal.

6. I've lowered the resolution of the preview to minimum, but it didn't resolve the problem either.

7. I've reformatted, even changed the SD card to other cards, but no joy.

8. Changed batteries (I have 4) but no joy here either.

9. Did the binding process, no change.

10. Made sure the 3 pin cables from copter to camera unit are snug.

11. Pinged the wifi unit with 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 -- both worked fine.

Frustratingly, about 1 in every 10 tries, the camera preview does suddenly work. But when I do a copter reboot immediately afterwards, it will then just as suddenly not work.

Clues, tips and suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers.

Bry

2016-5-30
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sounds like the wifi module is on its way out.

Ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. If they work, ping 192.168.1.10 (this is the lower video decoder board in the wifi module). If you get no response, then the lower board has failed.
2016-5-30
Use props
Insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-5-31 12:23
Sounds like the wifi module is on its way out.

Ping 192.168.1.1 and 198.162.1.2. If they work, ping ...

Thanks Quanthonytrang.

I pinged the 198.162.1.10 and got no response. I've done a boat-load of trouble-shooting but there's nothing else that points to a failure, apart from this.

So it appears the bottom board is fried.

Let's see what we can do to fix the issue.

Thanks again.

Bry
2016-5-31
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Insitb Posted at 2016-5-31 20:34
Thanks Quanthonytrang.

I pinged the 198.162.1.10 and got no response. I've done a boat-load of tro ...

If you can remove the module, take it out and freeze it for 20 minutes and try not to get it wet or condensed. Plug it back in before it warms up and try again.
2016-5-31
Use props
Insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-6-1 06:00
If you can remove the module, take it out and freeze it for 20 minutes and try not to get it wet o ...

Don't think it's the temperature at this point, Quanthonytrang. I think it's beyond that, given the failed ping. I reckon it's well and truly fried.

But thanks for the tip.

The shop that sold me it is already mouthwatering at the prospect of taking it in for repair; so for the moment, I won't be doing anything, other than putting my ear to the ground for a stand-out solution from any of my fellow Phantomers here
2016-6-1
Use props
fawnlake1
New

Norway

Insitb Posted at 2016-6-1 13:10
Don't think it's the temperature at this point, Quanthonytrang. I think it's beyond that, given th ...

Hi Guys,

Same problem and am looking for a replacement board... any tips on part number and vendor for this?

Thanks,
Jeff
Stavanger , Norway
2016-6-8
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I know you are not in the UK, but its part No.3 and available here from Buzzflyer LINK
2016-6-8
Use props
fawnlake1
New

Norway

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-6-8 18:25
I know you are not in the UK, but its part No.3 and available here from Buzzflyer LINK

Thanks for that!!
2016-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules