Loss of Signal at ~50m / Refund requested.
7955 37 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

Dear DJI, I bought the P3s after a great deal of research on it's specifications, i.e. the range capabilities.

Running the latest firmware, my P3s does not go beyond ~50m.

You are kindly requested to take back your useless equipment and refund the money I have paid for it. Please let me have the address of where I should ship you my rangeless quad!

Thanks.

2016-5-30
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

Hi, same problem of a lot of other users.
It's also my problem. Come here http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 369%26typeid%3D369. Let's try to increase our number so they have to listen us
2016-5-30
Use props
mtrascal2000
lvl.1
Australia

Dis you check if you were in beginner mode which is a factory preset which you need to go into the DJI GO APP to change. Think it is 30mt radius and 30 mt height this is on the P3A.
2016-5-31
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Wouldn't that be something if that's all it was?
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

Please do not start with "did you check with beginner mode"... "did you check antenna".... I've tried everything. The signal just gets lost!!!!
2016-5-31
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 10:39
Please do not start with "did you check with beginner mode"... "did you check antenna".... I've trie ...

All of the problems that I've had so far have been due to an operator fault

Just saying
2016-5-31
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

knobbydave@hotm Posted at 2016-5-31 12:05
All of the problems that I've had so far have been due to an operator fault

Just saying

You are right 90% of the problem are due to operator fault, as developer i understand it.
However Rc signal issue is a global problem....if we were 2 or 3 i will say "operator fault" but 50 or 100...
2016-5-31
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

jacopo.marcoval Posted at 2016-5-31 11:19
You are right 90% of the problem are due to operator fault, as developer i understand it.
However  ...

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right

I wasn't saying that there are no problems .... all those posts can't be wrong

I would love for them to be fixed immediately, for all of us, but I can appreciate that these things take time

Why can't there just be a 'roll back' option? I don't know, but it would help to stop a lot of 'bad feeling'
2016-5-31
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

jacopo.marcoval Posted at 2016-5-31 20:19
However Rc signal issue is a global problem....if we were 2 or 3 i will say "operator fault" but 50 or 10 ...

I think you're absolutely  correct. There are far too many video signal/range issues beng raised across all P3 models by a multitude of users (many of them are very experienced) after these latest firmware and software updates so I have to believe that the problem is real.
I have seen posts suggesting that DJI has acknowledged the potential issue but I have personally not seen any DJI posts which do so, only a few posts asking for additional information (I'm happy to be shown otherwise).
I think that all affected owners would be much happier if DJI would formally acknowledge that the updates may have caused a problem and mapped out their plan as to how and when they intend to rectify it.
For me (and many others, I suspect) the apparent apathy and/or avoidance of the problem by DJI is probably just as concerning as the problem itself. If DJI  could just tell me that the problem is in hand and that a fix was likely within x days then I would be much more tolerant of the situation. Making a mistake is regrettable but understandable, especially when dealing with a complex technical product.  The true character of a company is displayed in how openly and honestly they deal with that mistake.
2016-5-31
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

I completely believe you guys with the distance issues. It's one thing if you can't go 5,000 feet, but to only be able to go 800 feet is a serious cause for concern. This is why I won't "upgrade" the FW in my P3S anytime soon. I'm on 1.4.6 and couldn't be more pleased. On 1.4.6, 100% completely stock, I've been well over 8,000 feet with my P3S.

I hope you guys are able to get a resolution for these issues of distance and RC linking problems.
2016-5-31
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2016-5-31 07:04
I think you're absolutely  correct. There are far too many video signal/range issues beng raised ac ...

Amen, brother! ...  I also support the other post of BEING ABLE TO ROLLBACK TO ANY FIRMWARE VERSION WE SEE FIT.   I don't understand this update the firmware and you get locked in whether it works or not.  You should be able to re-install any firmware version you want to use (obviously, you'd need to synch the quad, the RC, and the batteries also, but you should be permitted to do this)
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 04:39
Please do not start with "did you check with beginner mode"... "did you check antenna".... I've trie ...

I assume by that statement you do not need our advise?
You can go to http://www.dji.com/support to have DJI help you with your return.
2016-5-31
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

@knobbydave @JockC @FAS1
I agree with all of you
"For me (and many others, I suspect) the apparent apathy and/or avoidance of the problem by DJI is probably just as concerning as the problem itself" Amen!

I suggest to open a thread asking a clear answer from dji.
What do you think?
I am italian and, as you can see, my english is horrible If someone else can open this thread i will be happy to subscribe it
2016-5-31
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

50m is a good distance for you as you should always have a visual of your drone
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

The only thing for me and the standard is that on day one the first thing I did was change the antennas (granted this is when the Pro/Adv were still quite high in price).
My normal range is without any signal loss for the FPV or RC is 6800 feet (2072 m).
Now there are a few tricks you can do to increase your range without having to install new antennas.
One of the most common is to add what is known as a windsurfer.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-23565-1-1.html

Other is of course the antennas alignment must be pointed towards your bird.

Now if this does not help you, you might need to look under the hood or your controller to insure no manufacturing defect is the result.Small screwdriver and a razer blade, and hot glue gun is all that is needed.

Take off the four screwes
IMG_8194.jpg
Carefully open the controller
IMG_8195.jpg
Take off the isolated rubber sealant off the conectors.
IMG_8197.jpg
Insure the connectors are in fact seated correctly.
IMG_8210.jpg

place cover back on and run some tests, if better then apply some hot glue to the connecters (helps the signal feed).

Another little trick is to apply some reflect foil behind the FPV panels (those two flat panel looking things).
IMG_8207.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/inch-Coppe ... ds=foil+tape+3+inch
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

Microsyb, i understand you have installed an argtek antenna. However, my problem is that on stock it doesnt go beyond 50m, when people have easily taken it beyond 500m.
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 10:11
Microsyb, i understand you have installed an argtek antenna. However, my problem is that on stock it ...

This is correct, I have.  now if you are still wanting to try to get the range you need and you already tried the basics, then a few things you can try.
First, it states you are in Pakistan, if this is correct that might be an issue depending on where you live.  What I mean is are you in a heavily populate area? There might be a lot of various WiFi signals floating around causing the interference.  Have you gone out into a remote area?
Next, are you able to create a makeshift windsurfer?  A plastic cup, and some tin foil?  The main antenna kinda sends the signals in all directions and to focus that signal has been known to really help the birds range.

Other tricks to try is to insure you have no other apps running and to do a full uninstall and re install of the DJI go App (turning off the cell or airplane mode makes no change from what I have seen), and doing a forget to other WiFi connections so that only your DJI Phantom is linked to your tablets WiFi connection.

I am sure others can throw out some other ideas as well to maybe help you out.  
Last resort is it might just be hardware related, but hopefully you can get it to work before having to retrun or replace.
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

Tried 2.8.1 but in vain. From what I've read around its the firmware which has reduced power level of the radio to some ridiculous amount of just 11mw whereas it should be 100mw
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

irp Posted at 2016-5-31 10:38
Microcyb, look round the forum. This is a problem with version 2.8.2 of the DJI GO app that many oth ...

Trust me I know about the firmware issue, but in his case I really do not think that is the cause.
What I suspect is that sadly the mass release of the standard models to additional retails stores (Target now sells them), has reduced the quality assurance checks.
Sad, as I did post a long winded theory about that 3 months ago, and my prediction has come true.
DJI is an awesome company, but like other corporations, they lost focus on quality vs quantity.
So this is the result.  
I did rip apart the base code for both the firmware and the UI for the mobile and true they have some core bugs, but one of the biggest concerns is the assembly process appears to be going way too fast  to keep up with the demand and competition.
DJI really needs to solve this with a second tier quality check. Many times manufacturing only does one base quality check to check the components, but when producing so many so fast, you really need to have a second quality check implemented.
Only thing I can now is throw in some ideas I have to help outside the normal things recommended, but that is all i can do to help in this case.
2016-5-31
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 11:42
Tried 2.8.1 but in vain. From what I've read around its the firmware which has reduced power level o ...

Open the DJI GO app.
Click on the camera.
Go into General Settings.
Disable "Enable hardware Decoding".

Go fly...  
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

So did ripping apart the base code of the firmware show you any reduction in radio power levels?
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

Wild bill as stated earlier I've tried everything.
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

irp Posted at 2016-5-31 11:46
So you're advising someone who wants to return their faulty drone to take apart their remote contr ...

You are right, I am not 100% sure checking the cables would solve their issue and in fact void the warranty.
Do not open or make changes and risk voiding warranty.

Just offering any ideas that come to mind. Forgot that DJI and other manufacturers would not like users doing this.

2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 11:06

Just do a return or exchange/repair then.
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 11:03
So did ripping apart the base code of the firmware show you any reduction in radio power levels?

A couple of things I found and have been writing up a technical assessment that hopefully they might read (maybe but not sure).
I do not work at DJI, but I am a fan of DJI.  
If you can, I would advise you to upgrade to the Professional or the Advanced model if you have not lost all hope.
Those two models have been fantastic to a lot of flyers with no changes at all required.
2016-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Well, if you people want to return your equipment, want to make sure DJI knows the numbers of complaints, this is NOT the place! Open a ticket with DJI! They do noit track the complaints here.. even though DJI is present here, this is NOT their ticketing system, and the stats do NOT come from here.. if you want to be heard, you really need to use the proper channels and open an actual DJI ticket.. I am not sure if even sending email to support is it, or if you have to call in, but certainly, opening a ticket should add a "tick" to their counter...
I had my share of very minor issues, on my P3Adv, but overall I am happy with it, and other then wishing i understand everything that happens - I think DJI is the best in the market currently... Frigging NASA grade technology at the hands of an every day user.....
2016-5-31
Use props
Juggar
New

United States

Remember that wi-fi interference can really harm range.

Recently I took my new out of the box P3S up to 1330 feet or so straight above my head. I was in a rural area at the time and I could have probably went to 1640 which is the max. I was getting some slightly intermittent weak signal messages but I think if I held the controller still and pointed correctly it would have done 500 meters/1640 feet.  I backed off at 1330 because I literally could not see it at all.
my elevation was ~2000 feet and the mountains around me were ~4000 feet or so. Plus no airports nearby for 80 miles.

This was with the latest DJI Go app that everyone complains about.
2016-5-31
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 12:06

Did you try what I posted?
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

User reinzneal Posted something cool since this happened after your firmware update.  And again, just trying to offering any ideas to help out.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-52471-1-1.html

The Steps :
1. Download the firmware at http://phantomhelp.com/Mobile/Phantom-3-Standard/#FirmwareArchive and select the fw that you want .bin file format

2. Insert the file to sd card, outside folder, and must be the only one .bin file format

3. Turn on the RC and the drone without sd card until it connect (RC and Drone)

4. Connect to DJI GO App (to see downgrade status stay at front page of the app)

5. Insert the sd card. Then the downgrade process is starting and rear led will turn to yellow and there will be beep sound from the drone (it is normal). See at DJI GO app, there will be status bar show the downgrade process. If the rear led becomes green it means the process is complete, you also can see the succes notice at DJI GO App.

6. Restart the RC and Drone, connect DJI GO App, check the FW. Finish.

I hope it can help the issue of 1.6.80 firmware for Phantom 3 Standard

NOTE : DO IT WITH YOUR OWN RISK!

This one has seemed to help people.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/P3C_FW_V01.05.0070.bin

2016-5-31
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

sifu128 Posted at 2016-5-31 15:56
50m is a good distance for you as you should always have a visual of your drone

50m = 164ft.  He doesn't need visual of the serial numbers!
2016-5-31
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

nigelw Posted at 2016-6-1 02:29
50m = 164ft.  He doesn't need visual of the serial numbers!

Damn! Really? You mean all this time....  {:4_142:}

Barney  
2016-5-31
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

ebrahim,
As others have said, you are at the wrong place.
Since you say you have tried everything.......

You need to contact DJI and start a support request (assuming you are past any point of return for refund)

Most likely, you will be assigned a case and will need to return the Phantom for repair.

50m max range indicates a problem.....if not with user....certainly with machine.

My only point of contention with your posts is that even the best make mistakes and can overlook things.
These "toys" are very complex.
I still think it's possible you may have overlooked something....but I know what you said....."You tried everything"....
2016-5-31
Use props
a.t.ebrahim
lvl.1

Pakistan

So downgraded firmware as well as app. Just had a flight with 150 m altitude and 200 m distance.... relatively better.
2016-5-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

a.t.ebrahim Posted at 2016-5-31 13:54
So downgraded firmware as well as app. Just had a flight with 150 m altitude and 200 m distance....  ...

That is good to hear.  
Next easy thing to do is try a windsurfer (no hardware changes required).  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EvPgvmsFJlc1FXR2txV1hSeWs/view

Material required: card paper, aluminum foil

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape.

• DIY steps:
https://rchelimenace.wordpress.c ... windsurfer-antenna/

Or you can do it like this.

2016-5-31
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Someone mentioned a populated area and the wifi signal.
I used airplane mode on my tablet when flying my fc40
Helped with the connection  
2016-5-31
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Phantomsky wrote (with good intentions, I assume): " ... DJI is the best in the market currently... Frigging NASA grade technology at the hands of an every day user ..."

Yeah, that's what makes me horrified and shivering ...
2016-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules