Can DJI service fix the gimbal pitch and roll issue?
2262 10 2016-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sorka95032
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

My P3P has the off center pitch issue where the camera points to the left. It also has the horizon tilt issue where the gimbal is rolled to the right making the horizon go left.

Rather than returning my newly bought P3P for a replacement, I'm considering sending it in to have it repaired. DJI has issued me an RMA and has said it needs repair. But will they really be able to fix it?

If they can't and they just send it back saying it's repaired when it isin't or that it's working as normal, I'll have lost my window to return it to the retailer altogether.

So my question is for those who have had these issues, have you been able to get it fixed by DJI?
2016-5-31
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I, for one, am unwilling to part with it long enough to send it for repair.  You can correct the horizon issue in the DJI Go app.  Mine drifts around a bit as I rotate around, and will change a couple of degrees after I stop rotation sometimes.

The azimuth problem seems to be something that many of us have.  The camera points left of center for me.  If I turn on the X graticule in the camera view and fly directly forward, it will go to the left of center as it flies.  Check the set screw on the gimbal, in case it is something simple like that.  It should be tightened on the flat surface of the azimuth shaft.  If it iis tight and on the flat, like mine is, they will want it back for "repair".  But, the ones I've heard of that were sent in came back with the same problem.  It's up to you.

NOTE:  All of the above is assuming you have done a full IMU calibration, a gimbal calibration, and an RC calibration beforehand.
2016-5-31
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-5-31 13:15
I, for one, am unwilling to part with it long enough to send it for repair.  You can correct the hor ...

Mine is tight.

The gimbal roll adjustment doesn't work for me because 1) It resets on each power off/on. 2) It's level at first and if I adjust the roll at the start of the flight, it's tilted in the other direction, and 3) If I adjust it after it has rolled and then i pitch the AC 180 degreess, it's pitched the wrong way again but off to the right instead.

Has ANYONE been able to get DJI to fix this? If not, I'm going to return the P3P and look elsewhere for another brand of drone.
2016-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I assume you guys ran IMU and gimbal calibrations? On a level, really level, surface?
2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Sorka, we'll definately help you out. Normally the turn-around time is around 2 weeks.
2016-6-1
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

I sent mine to technical support yesterday. Let see what happens on its return. I am hoping it will be fixed.
2016-6-1
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-31 21:35
I assume you guys ran IMU and gimbal calibrations? On a level, really level, surface?

Yes, level surface using a digital level accurate to with 0.1 degrees and then flipped 180 degrees to rule out calibration issues on the level.

And note, the roll starts out perfectly level on power up but then drifts after flight begins. The pitch issue where the camera points to the left is another known issue that can't be fixed except by adjusting the camera on the shaft which is hard if the screw is already on the center of the flat part of the shaft.

2016-6-1
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-1 01:33
Hello Sorka, we'll definately help you out. Normally the turn-around time is around 2 weeks.

From my chat session yesterday:

"10:16:27
Question, how long is the typical turn around time for this type of repair?
It just normally take 3-4 days upon delivery.
Cool.
Thanks.
You're welcome."

If it's really two weeks, then I'll send it back to the seller for a replacement. I'm not going to send something I've had for a week in for repair when it's going to take that long. If it was out of the return window, then I'd have no choice.
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

sorka95032 Posted at 2016-6-2 11:02
From my chat session yesterday:

"10:16:27

The turn-around time is the total time including the repairing time (3-4 days) and the shipping time.
2016-6-1
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
United States

Got the P3P back today all fixed. Both issues cured.

There is a new camera unit that is different in appearance to the previous one. The previous unit had a little black cooling fan on top. This unit has a white fan instead.

Also, when starting up, the camera unit does some sort of calibration each time you power on where it points all the way to the right and then very slowly steps back towards the center. It didn't used to do this. I'm pretty sure this is firmware in the camera itself. The AC firmware still reports 1.8.80.

I had to relink the AC with the RC.

So it appears these issues are fixable if you send in your bird.

Thanks DJI!!
2016-6-14
Use props
djiuser_G5M2WGuChwDh
lvl.2

Zambia

hi i also have the same problem but only with the pitch is it possible to fix this. im on holiday and i need my dji spark pitch to work to get those shots
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules