FAN NOISE X5
4418 23 2016-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ctrouillet
lvl.2

France

After a crash with my Inspire , my camera was repaired by DJI EUROPE (Netherlands). The gimbal was broken, 3 axes have been changed. The camera worked perfectly. Since I did update the firmware of my camera, the camera makes noise and fan running continuously. This problem is on Osmo and Inspire.The noise is very present on the soundtrack even with my VideoMicPro RODE. One solution ?

2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for your feedback.
In my judgement, there's no big issue with your X5 camera.

We'll try to improve the sound issue in the future.

2016-5-31
Use props
ctrouillet
lvl.2

France

It's a joke ! Having a camera that makes as much noise is really a problem for quality audio recording. Osmo Pro has only the name, this noise is not pro.
2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ctrouillet Posted at 2016-6-1 13:45
It's a joke ! Having a camera that makes as much noise is really a problem for quality audio recordi ...

Hello.
I'll report this issue to our engineers for further analysis.

If there's any update, I'll let you know at the first time.

Thanks for your support.
2016-5-31
Use props
ctrouillet
lvl.2

France

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-1 08:19
Hello.
I'll report this issue to our engineers for further analysis.

DJI Support EU have applied the RMA for my camera.I'm waiting for my product diagnosis and repair service.
2016-6-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ctrouillet Posted at 2016-6-2 23:40
DJI Support EU have applied the RMA for my camera.I'm waiting for my product diagnosis and repair  ...

Thanks for the information.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
2016-6-2
Use props
patrickarkum
lvl.1
United States

Having the same problem, worked fine at first and now its a constant fan. Bummer, I was taking this on a shoot out of country next week and I doubt an update will happen by then.
2016-6-3
Use props
patrickarkum
lvl.1
United States

Please notify me ASAP as to when the new firmware comes out to fix this. Kinda ridiculous, spending this much money for something you can't use.
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

patrickarkum Posted at 2016-6-4 22:59
Please notify me ASAP as to when the new firmware comes out to fix this. Kinda ridiculous, spending  ...

Hello.
We'll keep you informed in our website if there's any update.

Thanks.
2016-6-5
Use props
mcjackson1986
lvl.2

United States

Finally got my osmo and adaptor yesterday and after installing the update I noticed the same problem.  X5 cameras fan was loud and never stopped running.  Recorded a few videos and you clearly hear the fan running.
2016-6-7
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

This is new to me... Thought all the Inspire / osmo cameras fans were supposed to come on? I have had total of three X3 cameras / one X5 / and now X5R... they all did / still do that. Am I missing something?
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

mcjackson1986 Posted at 2016-6-8 00:20
Finally got my osmo and adaptor yesterday and after installing the update I noticed the same problem ...

Hello.
Unlike the Osmo with X5 camera, the Osmo pro (X5 camera) doesn't have the feature to turn off the fan.
About the fan noise, our engineers will try to improve.

Thanks for your understanding.  
2016-6-7
Use props
Bishbash88
lvl.1
  • >>>

hi, i am having the same problem and think its unaccpetable when people are spending £1800 on a camera that cant record because there is so much noise from the fan!!!!! ive even had to purcase an external microphone at the cost of yet abother £50 because the one supplied is of such poor quality! but bearing in mind ive still had to mount this as low as i can because the noise of the fan is still picked up! im so annoyed from technical support that their answer was just to send it back! ive only had this product for a few days. ive updated it, reset it, reformated it but still nothing and yet your answers are; we see nothing wrong with it! so its ok to record at a pro level with a load of background noise from a fan?!?! £1800 and guess what you cant even record on it!
2016-10-6
Use props
sbraxton
lvl.1
United States

The noise of the X5 really makes the audio unusable.  I've even attached a separate shotgun microphone to the X5 and while it is better, it is not usable.
The only realistic solution is to use a separate boom microphone or a lavaliere and sync in post to the internal recording using the FlexiMic as a scratch recording.
Most of us do this anyway for any high fidelity video recording.
At lease we are not using the X5Raw.  It's sound is so loud that it disrupts people.
2017-2-6
Use props
sbraxton
lvl.1
United States

Of course, if you just plan to over-dub with music, no problem!
2017-2-6
Use props
Haldi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361 ft
Switzerland

Also owner of an Osmo X5 I do not understand how you were able to market a product so the fan can not be stopped ... it really is unusable as is! I'm really disappointed between the problem of fan and a DJi Go application that works very badly!
It's really light for a product sold over 2200 euro!
Gentlemen of DJI find a solution!
Best regards
Yves Haldimann
2017-2-12
Use props
Paul17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132687 ft
United Kingdom

So now we are in March 2017 has this issue been fixed ashy new Osmo pro with x5 is rubbish at recording due to the fan noise. My other issues are grey screen showing on the iPhone for 5 mins and 31 seconds before it sees what the lens is seeing. also firmware in settings says unknown.
2017-3-20
Use props
Paul17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132687 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-31 19:19
Hello.

So now we are in March 2017 has this issue been fixed as my new Osmo pro with x5 is rubbish at recording due to the fan noise. My other issues are grey screen showing on the iPhone for 5 mins and 31 seconds before it sees what the lens is seeing. Far to long to wait to start filming. I have to turn on and off 3 times before it connects.. also firmware in settings says unknown even after trying to update.
2017-3-20
Use props
Testrup
New
Flight distance : 51575 ft
Denmark

Hi guys,

Any news on this one?
2017-9-3
Use props
PeterKaskons
lvl.2
United States

We recently purchased an OSMO Pro bundle and we're not pleased with how loud the fan is either. Also, the firmware version listed on the iPhone says "Unknown" or the CrystalSky says "N/A". Finally got it updated and it still gives us "Unknown" / "N/A" however (going back to the fan issue) we were under the assumption that the fan issue was going to be fixed. With so many different combinations with the OSMO (with similar naming) and other devices that are compatible, I was confused at first of what was what and which device would be getting an update to fix the fan noise. Come to find out from another forum, it sounds like the Zenmuse X5 fan issue won't be fixed and that we're being advised to purchase a separate audio recorder:

"This issue has been known for as long as X5 is for sale. The fan is there to keep the camera cool as the processing unit reside there. New X4s and X5s have their processor separated from the camera and hence I assume will eliminate this issue. The only solution for X5 owner is to record sound separately from the gimbal. Go the professional route, get a zoom H1 and Robe smart lav+ to record sound separate for a much professional result." -DTK

"DJI have got back to me for my issue.  Even though is their flaw on the X5 but they are not responsible for their action and they don't real care that much because it's something they can not solved.  So they told me go and buy external mic." -Blaky
https://forum.dji.com/thread-91200-1-1.html

It's always good to go the professional route and use a separate mic for recording, but when you just want one device to do it all with no issues, like a fan noise, whats the point of spending $2000+ on the bundle plus other attachments that are all sold separately (CrystalSky, mounting gear, focus wheel, cable, extra batteries, etc.) and after getting all that together, you have to get something entirely separate for the audio...? It's an impressive device for it's size and in my opinion it beats using anything else bigger than it, for the convenience of weight, but the audio being drowned out over the fan is a major drawback, making the Zenmuse X5 only useable if you're flying a drone or ditching the audio and replacing it with something else. This issue sorta beats the purpose of having it.

DJI Staff, with it being 2018 now, is anyone working on a fix for this?
2018-1-15
Use props
Mark Rivera
lvl.1
  • >>>

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-31 19:19
Hello.

Any updates for this noise issue?  I am ready to send my $2149 US back for a refund.
This is how I feel about it.
TOTALY DISAPPOINTED.  ESPECIALLY FOR THE HUGE PRICE TAG. READ THIS BEFOR YOU BUY.  DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!   SPREAD THE WORD AND SAVE SOMEONE SOME TROUBLE. Osmo Plus with x5 camera is completely unusable with the fan noise.  I will be returning due to manufacture defect
2018-5-13
Use props
Mark Rivera
lvl.1
  • >>>

TOTALY DISAPPOINTED.  ESPECIALLY FOR THE HUGE PRICE TAG. READ THIS BEFOR YOU BUY.  DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!   SPREAD THE WORD AND SAVE SOMEONE SOME TROUBLE. Osmo Plus with x5 camera is completely unusable with the fan noise.  I will be returning due to manufacture defect
2018-5-13
Use props
fans00a578d0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am currently using the X5 for an experimental drama and the fan is a real problem as you have outline. has any dealt with this in any way and is there any kind of solution round it.

The issue is that I really require the movement the X5 allows so I decided to go with it despite the warnings.  I have used Radio Mics where the sound it audible near the actors, a directional mic (416) and a slightyl wider mic profile and the issue is still there. I do have to deal with it and wondere if there are any solutions for it. I am working with live sound and post synching is not an option.

Thanks
2018-9-9
Use props
stormrider74
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have just purchased the osmo pro with X5 and successfully uploaded the latest firmware  and I am very dissapointed with the Fan noise.
Is this issue going to be resolved anytime soon as its a real battery drainer and extremly irratating and unpleasant.

Thanks
2018-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules