Second controller monitor
3968 14 2015-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

Any thoughts on what would be good with the second controller?  I just want to try to use it for amateur filming.  Whether it's monitors, goggles, or another Android device, I'm all ears and open to any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
2015-1-20
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

I've thought about this a fair bit, as I eagerly await my drone's arrival.  I'm sure I'll eventually get some goggles mainly for the immersive component.  That will mean less options available at my fingertips (compared to a tablet), but the controller (if set up as a second controller) has much of what you'd want most of the time, anyway.

What I really want is the oculus rift, but wanting things that aren't even out yet is what has most of us in this awkward period now, isn't it.

An overview of the currently available goggles are below.
http://www.smartglassesnews.org/video-glasses/

Sony's HMZ-T2 look good, but have a big bulky processing unit that would be prohibitive.
The Zeiss cinemizer seem much more portable, but they are still priced at a premium point, however aren't performing as well as the upcoming competition.
The Fatshark goggles also seem to get a lot of attention, likely as they offered solutions for those not having visual signal coming in through the controller.  Their DominatorHD goggles seem to have good potential, and is currently available.  I'd be curious to hear from someone who has flown with this one.

An interesting option is the epson moverio (mentioned at the bottom of this overview: http://www.dronethusiast.com/fpv-system-basics/ ).  They are clear glasses which can have the video displayed on them - meaning you see through the image to what surrounds you.  I imagine you can always pull a hat down over your eyes if you want to block things out.  It would be interesting to hear how visible the images are if you are flying outdoors with a bright sky.

I don't really see the benefit of an HDMI monitor (over a tablet), unless that is what you have kicking around and you're looking to earn back some of the money you spent on the inspire before making more purchases.  I can see the benefit of streaming the HDMI signal out to other displays for group consumption/enjoyment, but not for personal use, given that it lacks immersion or an interactive interface.

Realistically, I'll probably fly with both a tablet and goggles:  I'll use my android nexus 5 for the options, and some goggles for the view.  We have a 2 controller bird on the way, so I'm not sure if my wife will want the immersive shotgun experience, or let me enjoy while she takes the stick.  Once I'm comfortable with it, I'd love to give it a go solo, flipping the goggles up onto my forehead when near the ground/home, and popping into FPV with the goggles when I'm safe.  Now my problem is if I can wait for the Oculus Rift, as it doesn't look like the samsung gear VR is able to interface with any of the inspire's connectivity options.
2015-1-20
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

Since I am already using a Samsung S 8.4 for the master controller, I'm also gearing more towards goggles for my slave.  Portability is huge on long trips and an extra monitor would be too cumbersome for me.  I just got my second controller yesterday and am waiting for the goggles to come in next week.
2015-1-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

bdmartens Posted at 2015-1-21 12:54
I've thought about this a fair bit, as I eagerly await my drone's arrival.  I'm sure I'll eventually ...

Love my fatshark dominators I've used for two years they are awsome with an iosd mini on my phantoms , waiting for my 1, I'm ordering the new 720 HD dominators for the 1 . Off that subject just for fun hey ... any one see the YouTube video of the lucky guy gets new inspire one with both remotes for his Birthday from his Wife and Daughter ...
2015-1-23
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

Was the guy in that video you, daver/m?  It was great to watch it - quite touching!

I couldn't see the 720HD Dominator goggles online on the fatshark website.  I can see Dominator HD, which they have on their comparison sheet as SVGA, or 800x600.  My understanding of 720p is that it should be 1280x720.

Given the quality of the image streamed down from the inspire, I really would like goggles that are able to show me more of the details.  If there's a 720p+ version of FPV goggles that have an HDMI in, then that seems ideal to me.
2015-1-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

bdmartens Posted at 2015-1-24 10:16
Was the guy in that video you, daver/m?  It was great to watch it - quite touching!

I couldn't see  ...

Go to GetFPV.com they sell the dominator 720p fatsharks with the HDMI in port they are new , and may be out of stock , on back order ... The FS Googlels are very good quality ease of use , it has its own SD card that records the flight and much more . Video touching what ....oohh the birthday guy , no not me , wonder if the wife has a sister though ....
2015-1-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

I stand corrected mr BDMartens , you are correct on the res and sure enough 720 (HD) not P . Although I will say , the size of the little screen in front of your eye is little and at that size it's res is exellent , I use a 2nd gen dominator not HD and you'd think they were HD not pulling your leg on this . Hope I didn't mislead anyone on the fatsharks ability resolution wise , fatshark has a great reputation for exellent equipment. Maybe I'll post a link flying ,   IceCaves and waterfalls at big four mountain.
2015-1-23
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

It seems like someone else already realized the potential for the Epson Moverio BT200 and FPV:

He's flying it with the phantom vision.  I'm not sure if it could work with the inspire, as it doesn't appear to have an HDMI in.  It does have wifi (how it worked with the vision), and has a controller running andorid 4.04, and has a dual core 1.2ghz cpu with 1gb of ram and 8gb of memory.  If it did happen to have a usb adapter, and could be put into developer mode, I am curious if it could even run the DJI Pilot app.

The display is 960x540 with a 23 degree field of view (in this case, the smaller FOV is a plus, given that you'll also want to see around it).
2015-1-23
Use props
s.s.gibbs1.emai
lvl.2

United States

as far as i know the Movarios will not work yet..but likely they will in the future as we have seen a Movario link to Dji already.
   i am holding out for that myself and will use an android tablet for both controllers for now.
2015-1-23
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I just chatted with 24 hour support and the rep there said that FPV goggles can't be used for the slave controller and that I'll need two Android devices for both the Master and Slave.  I'm rather confused about this as I thought only the Master will need the Android Pilot app.  I wonder if this is really true?
2015-1-24
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

daver/m Posted at 2015-1-24 11:42
I stand corrected mr BDMartens , you are correct on the res and sure enough 720 (HD) not P . Althoug ...

Okay, I had been hoping there was a 720p product out there. It's great to hear how impressive they are, though.
2015-1-24
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-1-24 16:47
I just chatted with 24 hour support and the rep there said that FPV goggles can't be used for the sl ...

I wonder if that means the HDMI port only streams video out of the Master controller?

If it's just saying that you at least need an intelligent tablet/phone plugged in, then that's a different issue.
2015-1-24
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I'm using a Samsung S8.4 with the Master controller.  As for the Slave controller, I don't know if I'll need another Android device plugged in.  I'm really hoping that I can plug in a Fatshark goggle directly to the Slave's ports without bothering with another Android tablet/phone.  I'm getting second thoughts about getting the Fatshark now that two different DJI chat support says these goggles can't be used with the Slave and that I'll need an Android.  
2015-1-24
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

I'm curious if anyone has experience with the vuzix wrap 1200dx. It seems like it would approximately compare with the Zeiss Cinemeizer, except potentially cheaper.

http://www.vuzix.com/UKSITE/cons ... x.html
2015-1-25
Use props
pbofavl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1307631 ft
United States

just responding to a few questions in this thread.  it appears that the the epson moverio bt-200 glasses can be used with the inspire one using a 'screen mirror' mode to clone your screen on the bt-200's android system:
https://www.laurensvanduijn.nl/w ... ilot-for-inspire-1/

There's also info on this site about 'rooting' the bt-200's device allowing access to the play store...

Some folks really seem to love this option.  It seems to me like having the floating screen in your field of view might obscure the aircraft more than the operator might like.

Makes me wonder if one might be better off with something like the vuzix m100 where there's just a small screen in front of one eye for framing and viewing the pilot app's info, and the rest of the field of view is open for direct view of the aircraft...

Anyone used the vuzix m100's paired with a tablet in mirror mode to view the pilot app?

Seems like better tech is coming in this area in the form of wave guide hd displays, but they're way more expensive:
http://www.vuzix.com/UKSITE/consumer/products_m2000ar.html

oh and for frostythe2nd, HDMI out on the second controller works fine. no "need" for second android device, especially since DJI seems to still be working out camera control functions on the second controller.

This guy really likes them for his phantom:
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules