X5 photography only lens
1209 3 2016-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrwray
lvl.1
United States

Online customer service was zero help with this one so I thought I would ask those on the forums.  In the specs for the Zenmuse X5 and X5R cameras they list several supported lens.  However on a couple of them DJI states they are for "photography only".  I'm not sure why this is.  What's to keep someone from simply shooting video with those lens?  Is it an auto-focus issue?  Am I missing something?

Niel
2016-6-1
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Due to long focal lengths on the 45mm and the 14-42mm, DJI anticipates these lenses to not perform well on a "stabilization" level. Its more of a "Cover Their Ass" thing. Let me explain... lets say you have the Olympus 12mm and 25mm lenses, you use them for photo and video work with no issues. Super stable for video and no issues for photos as well. You then buy the 45mm lens (90mm after crop factor) and start to notice its not as stable in the sense that it has a slight wobble. Only noticeable in video, but it takes photos just fine. You contact DJI and they say, "if you check the lens comparability, that lens it not to be used for video"
Ok, long an drawn out... I know. WITH THAT SAID... There are plenty of ppl (myself included) that have used the 45mm lens for video and had no issues at all. Just be mindful of how much zoom it has. For my work it was too much, I returned it and got the 25mm lens. One day I will buy it again as there is *some* shots where that focal length comes in handy. Again, thats for the work I do.
2016-6-1
Use props
nrwray
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for clearing that up gybo.  

Has anyone tried other lens not on DJI's list?  Is so, what was the outcome?
2016-6-1
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

nrwray@mac.com Posted at 2016-6-1 18:49
Thanks for clearing that up gybo.  

Has anyone tried other lens not on DJI's list?  Is so, what was ...

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... le-lens-list.10954/
2016-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules