Lost my Phantom 3 standard
7110 33 2016-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
janistriblis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 388783 ft
United Kingdom

I lost my phantom 3 standard tonight compass error GPS on mobile phone is really bad failed return home and failed landing down and fly away and I couldn't find this means DJI app software is broken what can I do at the moment.
2016-6-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Some more information about exactly what happened wuld be useful.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and some of the experienced people here will probably be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps point you to a likely area to search for the Phantom.
2016-6-1
Use props
janistriblis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/VJ40RCCMQUXQQ1WDBRL4/
2016-6-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Can you give any more explanation of the flight and what happened?
What was the wind like?
When the Phantom was "flying away" what did you do?
Did you activate RTH?
Have you used RTH before?
2016-6-1
Use props
janistriblis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Pressing button return home failed landing down failed he was Far Away on the mobile screen comes up no GPS signal for mobile phone I don't understand why mobile phone then I just flies way
2016-6-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

janistriblis Posted at 2016-6-2 16:12
Pressing button return home failed landing down failed he was Far Away on the mobile screen comes up ...

Have you ever user Return to Home before so that you know how to activate it?
What was the wind like at the time?

When did you calibrate the compass?  Where?
2016-6-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

janistriblis Posted at 2016-6-2 16:12
Pressing button return home failed landing down failed he was Far Away on the mobile screen comes up ...

Without proper information, there is a limit to what I can work out.
But here is what I have so far:

The first thing I notice is that you took off with a compass error warning which was significant enough to put your Phantom into atti mode for the first 1- seconds of flight.
This should have been a red flag and warned you something was wrong right from the start.

Again at 2:12 you get another compass error warning.
And 3:46 again, this becomes a yaw error until 3:58
And at 5:59
9:22 - 9:41
Despite all these warnings you kept flying.

At 9:55 you get a Yaw Error warning @52% battery - till 13:06  @ 46% battery when you lost contact because of the distance

There is no indication of RTH activating in the flight record.
Even though you never activated RTH, it should have happened automatically when the Phantom lost the control signal.
BUT, as the Phantom was in atti mode at the time and ignoring GPS it would not have been able to find its way home.
It's likely to be southwest down close to the bend in Stannanought Road, possibly in the golf course on the northern side.

I'm not sure why you couldn't bring it down, more information might explain more.
I don't see any evidence of a software problem.

I suspect that taking off with a compass error warning and continuing to fly despite several more warnings is the problem.
Stannanought.jpg
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss, janistriblis. I'd suggest you to sync your flight record and then get in touch with our tech support in Europe. We will look into your case.What's more, you can follow labroides' post to search your drone. 联系欧洲.JPG
2016-6-2
Use props
janistriblis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm sorry but wasn't any critical warnings calibrate the compass before and start flying then everything was ok tried texting follow me mode doesn't work too far away actually I was about  3 metres away later lost the signal and warning message compass error and just flies away. Can do anything at all this is it
2016-6-2
Use props
janistriblis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Tested today friends drone everything looks fine but it's not flying Mors and 50 metres up press the button return to home drone flies up on the skies. Finally press cancel and get them down manually there is something wrong with the software he will send it back
2016-6-2
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

janistriblis Posted at 2016-6-2 22:49
Tested today friends drone everything looks fine but it's not flying Mors and 50 metres up press the ...

Sorry for your loss and your friend's
But, I think you ,need to remember rule 1: read the manual before you touch anything on  the AC
2016-6-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

janistriblis Posted at 2016-6-3 06:49
Tested today friends drone everything looks fine but it's not flying Mors and 50 metres up press the ...

Climbing is part of the RTH process if the Phantom is below the RTH height.
Maybe you are confused about this?
It's very hard to understand what you are saying.
You have not been able to provide any useful information.
I have to wonder if you were able to read and understand the manual.
2016-6-2
Use props
fansdf7fefdc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Lost my phantom 3 standard rth did not work
2017-1-21
Use props
fansdf7fefdc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

How do I find my phantom in the app
2017-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansdf7fefdc Posted at 2017-1-21 18:47
How do I find my phantom in the app

The app might not be able to show you where the Phantom is.
But the flight record may have enough information to help.
Your app has a "black box" data recorder that can often explain what happened.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps a likely search area.
2017-1-21
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5413 ft
Ireland

Hi, I also lost my Phantom 3 Standard due to an update in home location to somewhere random @14m35.5s. Is there somewhere I can find the undated home point coordinates from the flight log? I've uploaded them already: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T7HOQ0PAOJBEOQA1AFYS/. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know now that there was probably something I could have done when it was flying away to its new home location but I didn't know it had changed so I was just so confused and once I lost connection with the drone there was nothing I could do other than let it fly off! I assume since I haven't recovered the drone there is zero comeback I have with DJI, even if a bug in their software caused it to update its home location to random coordinates? Thanks
2017-1-26
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5413 ft
Ireland

I know that the drone wouldn't have made it to its new "home" location as it was too far away to reach on ~30% battery but if I could get coordinates of the home location I could at least know the rough direction it would be going towards! Thanks guys!
2017-1-26
Use props
Correia924
New
Flight distance : 108422 ft
United States

I need help finding my drone http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NMKFJFT1IXE5I5DS3U1J/
2017-6-20
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3698 ft
United States

Same exact issue, I was able to recover the flight Record from my documents off my Android. It lost signal at 37% Battery at altitude. Homepoint was engaged but did not come home. Still missing for 3 days now.
2018-1-28
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
United States

Same exact issue, I was able to recover the flight Record from my documents off my Android. It lost signal at 37% Battery at altitude. Homepoint was engaged but did not come home. Still missing for 2 days now.
2018-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans31b6de77 Posted at 2018-1-28 17:10
Same exact issue, I was able to recover the flight Record from my documents off my Android. It lost signal at 37% Battery at altitude. Homepoint was engaged but did not come home. Still missing for 2[view_image] days now.

Your Airdata screenshot is no use.
Go up to post #2 above and follow the instructions there.
2018-1-28
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WT1VTM9HR4VLSCU8D1I0/
2018-1-29
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

fans31b6de77 Posted at 2018-1-29 12:14

I'm sure some of the experts will come along soon to analyse your flight log but one question springs to mind, why the crazy RTH altitude,

One thing I have learnt is that you want your RTH altitude set as low as possible and still be safe.
2018-1-29
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
United States

Yes, that is alarming to me the RTH was set at an Altitude that is probably not attainable. I am not sure to why that occured. Any other info. advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2018-1-29
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
United States

It appears some how upon lift off it had changed the Return-To-Home altitude to 500m (1640 ft). I don't even believe that is attainable. This is very upsetting since I did not elect for it come home at such an extreme height. Also in windy conditions... So it most likely attempted to climb to this height over and over in attempt to come home.
2018-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans31b6de77 Posted at 2018-1-29 12:14

The reason you lost your drone is quite simple and easy to see in the data.
You went high (way too high) and failed to understand that winds up high are often much stronger than down on the ground.
For the period between 3:21 - 4:22 where you climbed from 1000 ft - 1300 ft, you didn't touch the right joystick at all but the Phantom is traveling away at 4-9 mph rather than maintaining horizontal position.
The wind was a bit gusty and stronger than the Phantom could fight.
But you kept going even higher and later came down to 722 ft.
In RTH your Phantom will only fly at 22 mph in still air but it was being blown backwards at 2-3.5 mph until signal was lost.
It would have continued in the same direction and speed until it reached critical low battery level and autolanded somewhere even further west of the last recorded position.

The wind at height will always be much stonger than what you experience down on the ground
You can fly at 15 m/s (in still air) in P-GPS mode but RTH is a slow driver and cruises at only 10 m/s.
Fighting a strong headwind to come home can ruin your day.
To avoid situations like this:
1.  Don't fly away downwind
If you are flying on a windy day, fly upwind going away.  It might be a slower flight but the return to home will be easy.
2.  If caught in a strong headwind at height, being the Phantom down so it has less wind to fight.  Leaving it up high is a fatal mistake but down at 200 feet it would have been easy to save.
3.  In a RTH against a strong headwind situation don't leave RTH to handle the speed.  Either push the right stick forward to make it drive faster or once RTH is pointing toward home, cancel RTH and drive yourself.
2018-1-29
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-29 14:20
The reason you lost your drone is quite simple and easy to see in the data.
You went high (way too high) and failed to understand that winds up high are often much stronger than down on the ground.
For the period between 3:21 - 4:22 where you climbed from 1000 ft - 1300 ft, you didn't touch the right joystick at all but the Phantom is traveling away at 4-9 mph rather than maintaining horizontal position.

Can I ask do you dump the data into another program to analyse, I’m on my iPad atm which is a PITA to see anything, but it would be good to know when I get on my laptop
2018-1-29
Use props
fans31b6de77
lvl.1
United States

I understand fully the Wind at higher altitude does become considerably stronger. However my main concern is the RTH defaulting to 500m (1640 ft). How or why would that be a defaulted Altitude? Also are you aware of the DJI GO App issues on Android devices? I had too many issues with my Galaxy s7 Edge. Ranging from no image appearing to uninstalling the app. every flight. I am wondering if the newer software/App. are more reliable on Android devices? Thoughts on the Mavic Pro.
2018-1-29
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

fans31b6de77 Posted at 2018-1-29 13:52
It appears some how upon lift off it had changed the Return-To-Home altitude to 500m (1640 ft). I don't even believe that is attainable. This is very upsetting since I did not elect for it come home at such an extreme height. Also in windy conditions... So it most likely attempted to climb to this height over and over in attempt to come home.

Of course 500m is attainable I fly my drones at that height all the time. Even in RTH
2018-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans31b6de77 Posted at 2018-1-29 15:22
I understand fully the Wind at higher altitude does become considerably stronger. However my main concern is the RTH defaulting to 500m (1640 ft). How or why would that be a defaulted Altitude? Also are you aware of the DJI GO App issues on Android devices? I had too many issues with my Galaxy s7 Edge. Ranging from no image appearing to uninstalling the app. every flight. I am wondering if the newer software/App. are more reliable on Android devices? Thoughts on the Mavic Pro.

The default RTH height is 30 metres so I assumed someone had changed yours to 500 metres.
2018-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-29 14:37
Can I ask do you dump the data into another program to analyse, I’m on my iPad atm which is a PITA to see anything, but it would be good to know when I get on my laptop

Just click on the link in post #22
2018-1-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just want to point out that the default setting is not always the same and i found out by nearly losing my p4p, the disconnection setting, Hover, Landing, RTH, is NOT always the default RTH, i am only saying this because, this may also have happened here too, i am only saying may have happened, just please, do not swear to the default always being the same.
2018-1-29
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

What’s the saying, S*** Happens, that’s why it’s importan to check the settings at the start of every flight.maybe there’s ghosts in the machines. Too many times things change for apparently no reason.

@Labroides I know how to see the basic log but I wanted to see the controller inputs, I was wondering what you did with the CSV file.
2018-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-29 22:08
What’s the saying, S*** Happens, that’s why it’s importan to check the settings at the start of every flight.maybe there’s ghosts in the machines. Too many times things change for apparently no reason.

@Labroides I know how to see the basic log but I wanted to see the controller inputs, I was wondering what you did with the CSV file.

I just stare at it for quite a while.
It's all in there but it takes a bit to focus on what's important and match several things to get the big picture.
2018-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules