6069 10 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What camera settings are people using at the moment with their x3s? I'm now getting better results with None profile, rather than log, but not sure about sharpness, contrast and colour settings. At present, I'm shooting at 0 sharpness and adding blur in post when down-converting from 4K to 1080p. Just wanted other peoples' thoughts...
2016-6-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should read these threads for good information

http://forum.dji.com/thread-9738-1-1.html

http://www.phantom-four.com/maki ... your-dji-phantom-4/

Rich
2016-6-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it comes down to what you think are the best camera setting, not what others are using.
2016-6-2
Use props
devoh002
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-3 03:20
I think it comes down to what you think are the best camera setting, not what others are using.

The best settings are the one you create for yourself through experience. What works for one will not necessarily work for someone else.
Good luck and play with the settings. you will find one that works best for you in that condition. Practice and play! Cheers!!
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

devoh002 Posted at 2016-6-5 10:59
The best settings are the one you create for yourself through experience. What works for one will  ...

Nicely said.
2016-6-4
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

devoh002 Posted at 2016-6-5 03:59
The best settings are the one you create for yourself through experience. What works for one will  ...

I agree with the above comments. I am asking others to share their experiences which, surely, is what this forum is about. For what it's worth I find 0 sharpness too sharp, and -3 way too soft to be of any use whatever. I personally think that -1 is about right, but I'd like to know what others are using. What's wrong with that question? I'm referring to video use, not stills.
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

JerryLaurence Posted at 2016-6-5 03:16
I agree with the above comments. I am asking others to share their experiences which, surely, is wh ...

Jerry , your question is fine , I think others are just saying be sure not to limit yourself to what others do and that what settings please you may not please others and vice-versa .

On mine I very rarely record in 4K because most of my playback equipment wont support it properly. I am usually at 1920 x 1080  and at  30 fps for video size. I dont have any " Post " programs ( Yet ) and therfore 4k just not for me at the moment.

Video format is at MOV for me

I use PAL

I always select a  white balance not auto  , I just use the Sun- Cloudy option mostly, Also in auto it will get to dark and light suddenly and look funny.

for the Style  I am at +2 +2 +2  Or +1 +1 +1

On color I do D- log or none .

I will say that I am more pilot than video and  Photo and am trying to get better at the latter.

I know that when I have something I really want to get right that it does take some time and the conditions and settings always change.

I like my video to be sharp and am having trouble understanding Motion blur and what not.  It really is an art form to get the "Perfect Shot "  I have learned that filters help a great deal in the Bright Sun and that the best time to shoot is early evening and early morning.  Or that Hour around Sunset  and Sunrise , just beautiful and the flying is great too.

Good Luck and have fun

2016-6-5
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-5 18:43
Jerry , your question is fine , I think others are just saying be sure not to limit yourself to wha ...

Thanks for your response, Donnie. I am constantly experimenting with settings, but I think the biggest improvement has come from using None instead of Log, and reducing sharpening a little. I use ND fillers and try to keep shutter speed 100th/sec or slower. It!s an ongoing quest...
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

JerryLaurence Posted at 2016-6-5 13:23
Thanks for your response, Donnie. I am constantly experimenting with settings, but I think the big ...

I meant to also tell you on you tube there are some good videos on  regarding settings for the X3 and X5.  Keep experimenting and then when you get it perfect let me know, I would love to know optimal settings  for the X3,  ( Or what works well for you )  I am still in experimentation  phase myself .  

Now I  do consider myself an expert level flyer having 26 years with RC aircraft - Helicopters - and Sailplanes  but a total  rookie in the  video field .

cheers mate - donnie

It is a lovely day here in the states ( Michigan to be exact )  and I am going to go fly now and enjoy  me self .  
2016-6-5
Use props
Ianmcg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

Have been doing tests to find best results (1080/2.7k/UHD) but it seems to me the biggest hold back is the compression settings baked into the camera. I've started using -1 sharpness, the others left to normal as sat & contrast to my eye don't seem to give me any extra control. I'm testing between norm and dlog, and when I grade (in Davinci) the log files I seem to be just enhancing the compression artifacts.  I'm still trying to find definitive info as the what the actual bit rates are for the different resolutions as I believe that is where most of the problem lies.

For 1080HD final output, f 2.7k was at 60Mbps, and 4k was at 60Mbps, I'd go for the 2.7k record format. Still to do some comparisons at 2.7k norm vs log. Anyone with any info on these please contribute.
2016-6-11
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm still having doubts about -1 sharpness, as I think that too much detail is lost, so I'm now working with 0 sharpness. I use the Neat Video filter in After Effects to remove the brutal compression artefacts with edge smoothing to soften the image before downconverting from 4K to 1080p. I also  believe that None is cleaner than Log.
2016-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules