No fly SD state parks
4214 7 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Randy7
lvl.1

Over the memorial holiday I was flying my P3P over  Louis and Clark State Park when I was approached by a park ranger he told me that there was no flying drones in the park. Before flying my drone I checked for any laws and was unable to find anything in regards to drones. I explain that to him and he said there was. I later found out that there was no law currently that would cover the use of a drone in a South Dakota State Park. I called the capital and talk to supervisory people and they concurred that there was no law that covered drones pacifically. This incident of Coors ruined my day. I was not flying over people and most of the time overwater I was not being dangerous I was only taking some pictures of the lake and Shoreline. I remain disappointed and disheartened by the actions of the Ranger.
2016-6-2
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Generally, the state parks are operating under administrative rules. Most states have administrative policy that you cannot take off or land within the park. However, if you can take off and land from outside of the park then they have no jurisdiction over the airspace.

Of course, the danger to the public in this approach is that it encourages the pilot to fly longer distances, out of line of sight range, and depending on FPV cameras for navigation.
2016-6-2
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, no copters in any state or national parks. You fly it only in your back yard.
2016-6-2
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

So many grey areas now, best not to try to poke the fire and find another place to fly.
You are kinda of in the right, and kinda not.  That is the hard part with parks now.
2016-6-2
Use props
iceman58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9016 ft
United States

Last fall I was at a local event at one of Missouri's state parks, their were park rangers from all over the state at this event, and I had been thinking of taking some video and pictures from inside the park. I approached a group of rangers and asked if their was any laws prohibiting the use of a drone in the state parks and their reply was "Missouri State Parks were their for the enjoyment and outdoor recreational activities of all people and that flying a drone and taking pictures of the nature fell under the outdoor recreational activities." They did suggest that I let the park manager know when I flew the drone in the park so they could wave off any complaints and asked that I didn't fly it close to bystanders due to safety.
2016-6-7
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

If you want to try it again, I think you should write a later to the administrator of the park and ask for a formal response about rules of UAV  in parks.  If you are cleared, then you can call and inform them the date you plan to use the plane in the park to eliminate any potential miscommunication.

That is a safer way than, say, refuse to cooperate and argue with the rangers.

2016-6-7
Use props
fansef7b2b73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 897149 ft
United States

I did not know that either.This past winter I got my Part107 and that was in the study material.Do not fly in State parks or National parks.
2017-9-26
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

iceman58 Posted at 2016-6-7 17:56
Last fall I was at a local event at one of Missouri's state parks, their were park rangers from all over the state at this event, and I had been thinking of taking some video and pictures from inside the park. I approached a group of rangers and asked if their was any laws prohibiting the use of a drone in the state parks and their reply was "Missouri State Parks were their for the enjoyment and outdoor recreational activities of all people and that flying a drone and taking pictures of the nature fell under the outdoor recreational activities." They did suggest that I let the park manager know when I flew the drone in the park so they could wave off any complaints and asked that I didn't fly it close to bystanders due to safety.

old thread i know but looking for info:

I wonder if this still holds true? It's almost 2018 now?
I tweeted the MO state parks and asked but no reply. I wonder if that account is just a bot lol
I have googled till my face turned blue and nothing, even on the state parks site search.
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules