Ground station location WAY off
1111 6 2015-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HKRyan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23465 ft
Hong Kong

I can't for the life of me figure this out.  I have a Phantom 2 Vision +.  When I use Ground Station with my Galaxy S3 OR another friend's Android phone, it shows my quad being a good 800m away from where I am actually standing with my quad (pic 1).  But, when I use the app to "find my quad" it shows the correct location (pic 2).  Stranger still, if I use an iPad with Ground Station, it shows the correct location (pic 3).  I have tried reinstalling the software on  my phone, but to no avail.  Any thoughts on how to fix this?  You can see from the photos that I have a good satellite lock and I do a compass calibration before a flight at every new location.  Any thoughts?

S3 ground station

S3 ground station

S3 find my quad

S3 find my quad

iPad ground station

iPad ground station
2015-1-20
Use props
HKRyan
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I should mention that this is a consistent problem, not just in this location near the airport exclusion zone.
2015-1-20
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The position of the Phantom is being placed on the map from the GPS coordinates received from the Phantom.

The Location you are standing is using the GPS coordinates of the hand held device.

This is just demonstrating that the GPS coordinates of the iPad is more accurate than the other devices.

The Apple iDevices use both the US and Russian satellite GPS systems. I don't know if the Galaxy or your friends Android only uses the US sat system or not

2015-1-22
Use props
HKRyan
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Hmm... but that doesn't really explain why its SOOO far off.  It always seems to be the exact same amount of distance off of the mark every place I go, always about 800m to the East of my actual location.  And doesn't explain why the Android phone is wrong in "Ground Station" but in the "find my quadcopter" app on the Android phone is spot on.  I am wondering if the way the Phantom communicates its GPS to Apple devices is different than the way it communicates to Android.  There has to be a reason for the very consistent miss-mark.
2015-1-22
Use props
HKRyan
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I contacted DJI and they told me:
"Cause the Android devices use different maps from iOS devices, so there is map accuracy problem.
Please download map via VPN on your Android device for a try."
I am not sure why I would use a VPN to download a map.  Maybe they think I live in Mainland China where many Google products are blocked, but I live in Hong Kong, China, where the internet is free and open.  
2015-2-5
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well if you will use Android....
2015-2-5
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Android in Houston the ground station is accurate enough to place red airplane on my house. But here is what is odd. The manual calls the blue circle with the H "My Location" When I first turn on everything and go to the ground station I have the airplane in the correct location with less than 6 satellites but there is no blue circle. When I do get 6 satellites, the blue circle appears in the correct location.  
2015-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules