Route 66
627 4 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Every now and again I get the urge to make a road trip to Las Vegas.  I always take the back roads through 29 Palms and catch Route 66.  Almost never any traffic,  beautiful scenery,  always worthwhile,  though it is about 5 hours one way.  This time was much the same,  except I had my P3 with me.  And I was totally amazed to find out that they had freshly paved a large stretch of 66.  Beautiful fresh new asphalt.  As I drove along,  I suddenly was overwhelmed by the scenery.  I stopped in the middle of the road, ( no traffic ) and broke out the Phantom and launched without wasting much time.  It was getting late.  Once airborne,  I realized I had an ND16 filter in place.  Hit record anyway and was catching what could have been good video of the mountains.  Amazing colors.  Saw 2 large hawks aggressively circling above the P3 and hauled ass for home point.  Got to Vegas and took a few minutes to check out the video.  Bah,  not really usable.  Even exposure and contrast/brightness correction in Nero did not make it good.  But,  for compensation,  on the way home,  I stopped in the road where the Route 66 logo had been freshly painted on the new asphalt and snapped this with my crappy cellphone camera.  Bah.  I will return.

2016-6-2
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I was sooooo excited to see a nice Route 66 video when I saw this thread topic.

Needless to say, MAN was I disappointed.   C'mon....the video may not be great...but post it anyway!

Been dying to take Route 66 just for the fun of it.    Bucket list item.
Still dreamin of runnin across that tanned brunette cutie in her flatbed Ford in Winslow  
2016-6-2
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-2 19:32
I was sooooo excited to see a nice Route 66 video when I saw this thread topic.

Needless to say, MA ...

Oh,  I'm going back in a couple of days just for the purpose.  The section  I go too is mostly  nature scenery type stuff,  Joshua trees and the like. But the mountains are amazing.  I hear there are large parts of 66 that are just dirt now.  Sad to think it used to be  the travel artery of the nation.
2016-6-2
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Yes Please Post.
2016-6-7
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong