Is this whine normal?
1070 9 2016-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

I think my Phantom is making a high pitched while that I haven't heard before.  Is this something to be concerned about?  

After flying, two of the motors are noticably warmer than the others although not hot to the touch.  Is this just new owner paranoia or is this noise something to be concerned about?

2016-6-3
Use props
DanielMyst777
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145276 ft
United States

The noise is normal. All P4's make this noise when the drone is controlling different motor speeds to compensate for wind.
2016-6-3
Use props
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

DanielMyst777 Posted at 2016-6-3 20:47
The noise is normal. All P4's make this noise when the drone is controlling different motor speeds t ...

Great news!  Thanks!
2016-6-3
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I would pay attention to the temp differential you noticed.    Could be nothing....but if those same two motors are consistently warmer then it could be an early warning of a developing problem.  Believe it or not, defects do actually occur.

Just check them at different times under different flight conditions.    If they are always noticeably warmer, get a laser thermometer and start checking the temps.  If they are 30F or more consistently hotter than the others keep checking them.   If they consistently get 50 - 80F or more hotter than the others, you may have a real problem.
2016-6-3
Use props
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-3 21:11
I would pay attention to the temp differential you noticed.    Could be nothing....but if those same ...

I'll monitor the temperature.  Right now it's slightly noticeable by touch which I think is far below 50-80F.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get the same noise on my 4 week old P4, not noticed any problems yet.
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft

That noise is normal and does not affect the unit in a negative way.
2016-6-4
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

voripteth@gmail Posted at 2016-6-5 00:23
I'll monitor the temperature.  Right now it's slightly noticeable by touch which I think is far be ...

Ok.  I wouldn't worry about the whine.   Several have agreed that is normal.    What I meant by 50-80F was that much "above" the temperature of the others.

The Phantom 4 may be a great machine but defects still come off the assembly line occasionally.
Would hate to see you crash due to a motor failure.

Have fun!
2016-6-4
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

voripteth@gmail Posted at 2016-6-4 06:23
I'll monitor the temperature.  Right now it's slightly noticeable by touch which I think is far be ...

Aloha voripteth,

You also might want to indicate which motors are showing increased heat.  Are they on the same side, forward and aft, diagonal, etc.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-4
Use props
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-4 20:10
Aloha voripteth,

You also might want to indicate which motors are showing increased heat.  A ...

I think it was the two rear motors but I'll make a point to check next time.  
2016-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules