Help! Firmware Update problem!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leyown
New
United States

I am traveling and turned on my drone to be hit with RC and drone connectivity issues. I need help! These are the events as they happened:

I turned on my remote and drone and they were not connecting (I hadn't flown it in a while). I then got a message on the remote controller saying it needs a firmware update (v1.6). I went through the update process and completed it. I then downloaded the firmware for the drone and tried to install it by dragging the .bin file onto the SD card (I deleted the old .bin file from a previous update). The drone would not update. The RC also keeps popping up with a message about how I need to install the firmware even though I already did it.

I am sure I did something wrong along the way. Please help!
2016-6-4
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218337 ft
United Kingdom

What you did sound correct to me, the only difference i do is to format the sd card before putting the new firmware download onto it.
Also after all the beeping and such (maybe 30 mins) I again remove the sd card, open it on my computer and look for a .txt file. Open that file and it will say "success' if all is OK.

Hope this helps
2016-6-4
Use props
leyown
New
United States

How do I format the SD card if my RC and drone can't connect?

I tried formatting the SD on my laptop, then dragging the .bin file onto the SD, and putting it in the drone. I keep waiting for the drone beeping and red/green blinking, but nothing happens.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check you downloaded correct file, make sure RC is off when updating aircraft (you have P3A or P3P I assume), check that it is .bin file only on sd card. Only insert or remove card when aircraft is powered down. Check led above camera on gimbal , flashes green/red when updating, solid green when completed. And I think solid red if fail upgrade.

Reformat SD card (FAT32 up to 32GB, EX FAT for >32 GB), try different SC card.

Now I've run out of ideas , but RC @ 1.6 does need aircraft updated as they introduced encryption (or changed it) with that build. Otherwise they won't talk.
2016-6-4
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

leyown Posted at 2016-6-4 21:53

I tried formatting the SD on my lapto ...

Stick the sd card into a reader and on a Mac use disc utility and erase On a windoze pc i can't remember sorry. Basically you want nothing, zilch nada nowt on the card when you put the new update on.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

leyown Posted at 2016-6-4 21:53

I tried formatting the SD on my lapto ...

Format on computer.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

make sure FAT32 etc. FAT does not work.
2016-6-4
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-6-4 22:00
make sure FAT32 etc. FAT does not work.

good call Aardvark
2016-6-4
Use props
leyown
New
United States

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I realized that I have to update incrementally to v1.7 and then to v1.8. The RC was on during the update, forgot to turn it off. I then turned off the RC and then the update finished on the drone. I then checked the SD card for the .txt file on laptop and it said "Success".

However, when I turned on the RC and then the drone (all updated with the latest firmware, 1.8 on the drone, 1.6 on the RC), they still are disconnected. Ugghhh!!!
Any suggestions?
2016-6-4
Use props
leyown
New
United States

I now saw this on the .txt file:

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So you're now updated, reboot all & enjoy
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I realized that I have to update incrementally to v1.7 and then to v1.8

You can go straight to V1.8.
2016-6-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BTW the batteries might need updated, so power down , insert next battery and power up, should just take a few minutes per battery.
2016-6-4
Use props
leyown
New
United States

The last log said "Abort. The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft."

The RC and the drone also STILL are NOT connecting =(   That's the main issue here
Not sure what's going on......

2016-6-4
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

This is a major issue witht he p3's using the sd card.

I returned multiple new ones due to the same issue you are describing.

I did everything by the book (and my background is software engineer, IT)
but the rc would not communicate.  Although I have not dived into it since
I now use P4 only, I think it has to do with the encryption; so if one gets
updated, then the other wont talk in the other format.

Maybe DJI support can provide a patch for this issue, as it is very common. Call Support and ask for help and maybe they can provide some help.
2016-6-5
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Simple, just follow DJI's steps on rebinding the remote to the aircraft The remote probably got unbinded to the aircraft when updating.
2016-6-5
Use props
bgoldman.plgb
New

United States

leyown Posted at 2016-6-4 17:41
The last log said "Abort. The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firm ...

I've got the same exact problem...what have you done so far?
2016-6-5
Use props
bgoldman.plgb
New

United States

amelia.bolli01 Posted at 2016-6-5 10:51
Simple, just follow DJI's steps on rebinding the remote to the aircraft  The remote probably got u ...

I tried that and it didn't work.  The aircraft link link is blinking red / green.
2016-6-5
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Okay so at this point I would suggest that you give DJI a call or try to return the drone. Sorry to hear about your experience
2016-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules