Battery gap
2947 23 2016-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hi,

I remember a post on this forum, where some poor fellows battery had come loose in the air and his Phantom plummeted to the ground.

He had also mentioned that his battery had a little gap on the underside when connected and got a hard timefrom some of the members here that if he noticed a gap, he shouldn't have flown at all.. This is the thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=299018

I also have a similar gap from day one (Drone has 0 crashes nor even any hard landings) and I've checked, the battery is in there rather securely, but should I be at all worried? Are all of your batteries gapless and snug fit? I wouldn't like a replacement or any other kind of meddeling on my drone as I seem to be one of the few with technically perfect drone and in that including 100% level gimbal.

Some pictures:
GOPR2798o.JPG GOPR2799o.JPG GOPR2800o.JPG
2016-6-5
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

That does not look good at all, is it actually snapped in all the way?
2016-6-5
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I'm only guessing but in your second picture, just behind the sonar units there is two screws, they look like they may be too tight. Try slackening them off and see if the gap changes.
2016-6-5
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300761 ft
Canada

I think you should be concerned because it looks like your battery is only being held in place by the top clip.
2016-6-5
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

I think the two anchor points (the two screws) behind the sonars are a bit too far to cause the shell to shrink and therefore causing the gap. I think it's either the battery/body-shell dimensional accuracy being inaccurate (ie. molding), or battery safety latch accuracy, also being inaccurate. I reckon all of them could pose to a catastrophic in-flight failure. I'm still guessing too, though.
2016-6-5
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Something looks out of shape there. It looks as if there would be a gap no matter how well it is clipped in.
2016-6-5
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

Yeah, what ever I do, there's still the gap..

But regarding the battery only being held in by the top clamp, I did some thorough testing - tugged it in every way and tested the bottom button tension and by all means it seems both clamps are in and holding tight.

However based on all your responses, now I know this is not what it's supposed to look like.. What should I do next?
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Alari, I'd suggest you to press the clip with dots and push the battery to the end. Then check the gap. clip.jpg
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have any gap in mine. Do you have another battery to try and see if it does the same thing? Can you feel it snap in when you install it? The top looks fine.
2016-6-6
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-6 10:13
Hello Alari, I'd suggest you to press the clip with dots and push the battery to the end. Then check ...

Have done it, it does go further if pushed, but jumps back to this position as soon as let go.. The clamp is however clipped in and behind the rig, that's holding it..
2016-6-6
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

rodger Posted at 2016-6-6 17:27
I don't have any gap in mine. Do you have another battery to try and see if it does the same thing?  ...

Yup, have 2 batteries and the gap is there with both. I think the curvature of the shell maybe a bit wrong..
2016-6-6
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

I really don't want to be without a drone for weeks, if I send it in, as I have a long long cruise coming where I wanted to use the Phantom for filming in many locations.
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alari Posted at 2016-6-6 13:47
Yup, have 2 batteries and the gap is there with both. I think the curvature of the shell maybe a b ...

Could it be that the bottom section is to tight? Two batteries, not right I doubt that it is a battery issue. If they are snug I doubt that the battery would fall out or come loose and drop the connection.
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Alari Posted at 2016-6-7 01:51
I really don't want to be without a drone for weeks, if I send it in, as I have a long long cruise c ...

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our EU tech support and and the drone to our service center for diagnosis. Besides, could you provide me the drone's and the 2 batteries‘ serial numbers here?Thank you. 联系欧洲.JPG
2016-6-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wish DJI would just come out and say it as it is with some issues, it would really help people out.

DJI seem to have two different batches of batteries, people have already spotted this with the different LED's on some ( beign brighter and darker green ). It seems it's not just the LED's that are different on some batteries and the design of the clip on the batteries are different aswell..

See this image of the two different batteries and notice the length of the latch that clips on the P4 body to hold it in place. The left side battery one is longer ( this is the battery that gives the gap ) compared to the other battery that can the shorter clip. This sifference in length means the battery sits a little out compared to the other.
Both batteries clip into place fine and there is NO risk of it falling out. In an ideal world DJI should resolve the issue at the facroy and make sure all of the batteries are like the one on the right.
For reference, here are the serial numbers of the two.
Left battery ( the one with a gap ): 082AD490310KG7
Right battery ( No gap ): 082AD250310GQZ
IMG_1592.JPG

When fitted into the Phantom it is clear to see the difference it makes.
IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1593.JPG

2016-6-6
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

South Korea

Alari Posted at 2016-6-7 02:51
I really don't want to be without a drone for weeks, if I send it in, as I have a long long cruise c ...

Clearly you have to send the plane back for repair.

But you can do it after you come back from the trip, and if anything happens, the DJI will cover it, since it's obviously a faulty design.
2016-6-7
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-6-7 02:04
I wish DJI would just come out and say it as it is with some issues, it would really help people out ...

I just ordered two new batteries from DJI. I hope they are like the four I already own - with perfect fit and no gaps!
2016-6-7
Use props
dperhac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221555 ft
United States

My battery is a pain in the butt to pull out... There's not much of a gap but just pushing the buttons doesn't allow it to come out. It definitely takes some yanking and pulling to get it out
2016-6-7
Use props
dawidm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2171801 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I have two batteries. One of them is wrong and the other is good. It's the fault latch of the battery. It is inaccurate.
2016-6-8
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

sploodge Posted at 2016-6-7 09:04
I wish DJI would just come out and say it as it is with some issues, it would really help people out ...

Thank you, Sploodge, for the great insight!

I seem to have the battery on the left, which supposedly leaves the gap.

Clarifies a lot, although still wondering about whether I should exchange the batteries or do anything about it.
2016-6-8
Use props
Alari
lvl.2

Switzerland

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-7 08:32
Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our EU tech support and a ...

Yes, I can:

The Serial for the Phantom itself is: 07DDD4K0B11917
Original battery, that came with the drone: 082AD480310TAU
Extra battery: 082AD4J03110UY

Is it safe sharing these numbers in public?

As Sploodge stated, it seems that the batteries come in 2 varieties of clip length, and I have the longer ones.

I would still like to hold onto the drone until after my trip, otherwise I'd be miserable.
2016-6-8
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alari Posted at 2016-6-8 16:17
Thank you, Sploodge, for the great insight!

I seem to have the battery on the left, which suppose ...

In my opinion it really makes no difference..

Do wish DJI would resolve the discrepancy though..
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Alari Posted at 2016-6-8 23:23
Yes, I can:

The Serial for the Phantom itself is: 07DDD4K0B11917

Thank you for your feedback. It is safe to share them.
2016-6-9
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-7 21:11
I just ordered two new batteries from DJI. I hope they are like the four I already own - with perf ...

I just received two new P4 batteries from DJI's US distribution center. I received them FEDEX Ground 3 days after I ordered them with free shipping - WOW!

The new batteries have the "new" bright green LEDs (where you can see individual tiny LEDs in each battery level indicator window), BUT they still have the SAME perfect fit and finish (no gaps when mounted in my P4) as my four original batteries, which I purchased from an Apple Store in March, that have the less-bright, solid-color opaque green LED battery lights.
2016-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules