CW vs CCW motors, interchangeable?
6422 7 2016-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevintnitz
New

United States

Can I wire a CW motor to my Inspire 1 esc so that it spins CCW?
2016-6-6
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, just swap any two wires, it doesn't matter which.However, if you are using threaded props the threads will be the wrong way round. If you are using the god awful quick release rubbish then it doesn't matter.
2016-6-6
Use props
kevintnitz
New

United States

Thank you for the response, however with there being three wires, red, black and yellow, how can it be that I can swap "ANY" two wires to change the rotation?  R B Y cw -- swap 2 = B R Y CCW? swap 2 =B Y R = cw SWAP 2 = Y B R CCW, SWAP 2 R B Y = CW , SWAP 2 BRY = CCW, SWAP 2 Y R B = CW; SWAP 2 RYB=CCW ; BYR=CW... OK , I can accept that. Thank you
2016-6-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

kevintnitz@gmai Posted at 2016-6-10 00:22
Thank you for the response, however with there being three wires, red, black and yellow, how can it  ...

Because it doesn't matter what two wires you swap.
A brushless DC motor uses pulsed current from the esc's in phase through three wires. Swap ANY TWO wires around and you have reversed the phase and the motor will spin in the opposite direction.
I've been flying RC for 30 years - trust me, I know how brushless motors work.
2016-6-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

kevintnitz@gmai Posted at 2016-6-10 07:22
Thank you for the response, however with there being three wires, red, black and yellow, how can it  ...

It's not recommended to interchange the CW and CCW motor rotation, as the threads on the motors themselves will not be able to keep the corresponding propeller in place. You risk making the props more susceptible to coming off.
2016-6-16
Use props
fans31ecabfd
New

United States

Ihave the phantom 4 and just tried swapping the grey and white on the cw black motor however didn't have any luck.  Sticl spinning cw.
2016-12-26
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I cannot see the benefit of doing this , I would just get the proper motor. It may cause other problems that we are not foreseeing .  Iknow it depends on the type of locks but the threaded old type will definitly want to throw that prop .  Like I said , just play it safe.  

Just my 2 cents.

donnie
2016-12-27
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

What Tharg is saying works with most all RC electric motor products. DJI does not recommend switching motors and it is best to get the correct one for the job.

Best of Luck to you

Rich
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules