Z-Axis hack, working perfectly with X5R
2717 9 2016-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cbboyer13
New

So, all this talk about the Z-axis for X5/R had us wondering why the current, production model Z-axis (advertised by DJI as explicitly for X3) couldn't work for the heavier cameras. After all, its exclusively a mechanical solution, right? Surely we could artificially increase the tension and get it to balance the heavier camera.

In the end, we purchased a Z-axis today and opened it up with a 2mm allen wrench. Obviously be very careful with the ribbon cable. Turns out, it's easily possible to remove the stock spring that makes the Z-axis work. Now, I'm sure it would be possible to find a cool, custom spring somewhere...but we simply ended up cutting down the standard spring, stopping to test in increments, and reattaching it with the tightening gauge at its loosest position. Then we'd ratchet up the tension and test. This required needlenose pliers and some elbow grease for sure. After we cut about 50% of the original spring away, we reattached, loaded on the X5R, and tightened up the "Z-haxis." Voila:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGWhBu9lc5-/
No problems so far. My concern is that the spring is going to deform slowly over time because it's stretched quite a bit further than intended. But at the end of the day, we have a stabilized, lossless 4K camera in our arsenal, and that's what matters. Just thought I would share this interesting tweak, we got great results. If anyone else is dumb enough to try this, let's hear how it goes for you.

2016-6-7
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Nice one centurion and keep up the good work !
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Great job!
However, we would not encourage any of our people to do any modification on the original Z-Axis in case of any damage.

Thanks. Have fun!
2016-6-7
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-8 15:00
Great job!
However, we would not encourage any of our people to do any modification on th ...

Adela if thats all it takes then DJI should be releasing an official one with a re-engineered spring quick time.A simple option could be supplying two springs.  
2016-6-8
Use props
simonespadaro
lvl.1

Germany

Prima di cambiare la molla faranno il phantom 5 e il phantom 6. Poi dopo averci fatto pagare lo z axis per x5 lo spediranno dopo 6 mesi.
2016-6-8
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried to modify my z-axis to work with my x5 and ruined the ribbon cable, anyone trying this mod make sure you don't remove the top spring cover or you'll be sorry.
2016-6-8
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-6-8 18:28
I tried to modify my z-axis to work with my x5 and ruined the ribbon cable, anyone trying this mod m ...

Good on you for the warning R&L
2016-6-8
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-6-8 18:28
I tried to modify my z-axis to work with my x5 and ruined the ribbon cable, anyone trying this mod m ...

Good on you for the warning R&L
2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-6-8 21:20
Adela if thats all it takes then DJI should be releasing an official one with a re-engineered spri ...

Hello, pi-inthesky
Thanks for your concern.
Our engineers will take serious consideration about it.
2016-6-11
Use props
laurence.hamilt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 687470 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I modified my origional z axis for the x5r because I can't wait until the official one comes out. It involved grinding away the locking ring that locks the arm onto the camera because the ring is too wide and hits the gimbal housing meaning the gimbal wont lock into the arm. This is not an issue on the X5, only X5R.I used three additional springs from a common 150 piece spring kit you can buy anywhere online. These were in addition to the origional spring. There are two springs on the outside and one spring i threaded through the origional spring inside the arm. I think you can just about see this on one of the photos.
The tensioning wheel can then work as normal. It works great. quick video of it here

2016-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules