Gimbal Dial - jerky movement
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

I've been noticing the Gimbal pitch is jerky and FPV recorded video while hovering about 4 ft AGL confirms it when using the Gimbal Dial on my Phantom 3 4K.

What's happening is when I move the Gimbal Dial in one direction, the Gimbal will first move briefly in the opposite direction before returning to the starting pitch or continuing to move in the correct direction depending on length of time the Gimbal Dial is held at an offset from its neutral point.

When powered off, the gimbal can be articulated freely by hand without any unevenness felt through the full range of motion.

Relevant parameters:

--- Remote Controller Settings
Gimbal Dial Speed: 7

--- Gimbal Settings
Gimbal Mode: Follow
  +++ Advanced Settings
  Configuration: Configuration 3
  Gimbal Tilt: 50
  Gimbal Tilt Limit (30° extensible): off
  Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow: on
  Gimbal Tilt Smooth Track: 5

Are some combination of settings known to produce this jerky movement? Can you reproduce it given the above settings?

2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry you are having difficulties.
You've done a good gimbal and IMU calibration?
Can you post a link to a quick video clip?
2016-6-7
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-7 14:14
Sorry you are having difficulties.
You've done a good gimbal and IMU calibration?
Can you post a lin ...

Yes, I'm satisfied with the recent IMU & gimbal calibration - and with all calibrations as I have not made them more complicated than necessary.

To post the video, I'll have to locate a suitable hosting site.

In the mean time, what gimbal settings are known to produce smooth results without resulting in a high speed change in pitch? Quick camera movements don't always look good on video.

I could try with settings reverted to default but I want custom in an attempt to produce a better video effect.
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-8 05:34
Yes, I'm satisfied with the recent IMU & gimbal calibration - and with all calibrations as I have  ...

Use the default settings and turn the gimbal wheel speed down if you want.
2016-6-7
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-7 14:51
Use the default settings and turn the gimbal wheel speed down if you want.

Apparently I am using the default settings. No change after touching "Reset All Settings." See screenshot attached.

I don't know the default for Gimbal Dial Speed. I changed from 7 to 4 and still see the Gimbal momentarily move in wrong direction as well.

I don't recall seeing this problem before I updated DJI GO app on 2016.04.29. Was that DJI GO v2.8.0 for Android? I recall a F/W update associated with the app.

Are you telling me you can not reproduce this problem on P3 4K?

Gimbal advanced settings

Gimbal advanced settings
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-8 09:19
Apparently I am using the default settings. No change after touching "Reset All Settings." See scr ...

Can you post a quick video clip from the camera so I can see what it looks like from the FPV view.
2016-6-7
Use props
jefferyfarrell
lvl.2
New Zealand

Have you done the controller calibration? Mine did the same and I didn't realise when you move the sticks during the calibration that you also have a bar that shows movement of the gimbal wheel. As soon as I did this it started working fine again.
2016-6-7
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Yes I have the same problem with my P3S. When I first turn the gimble control down the camera turns up then continues in the down direction. It is the reverse effect if turning the gimble wheel upwards, the camera first goes down then starts to correctly travel upwards. I'll try the recalibrate first.
2016-6-7
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-6-7 21:37
Hi Yes I have the same problem with my P3S. When I first turn the gimble control down the camera tur ...

Your description matches mine to a T.

How do your gimbal settings compare with the ones I've posted?
2016-6-7
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

jefferyfarrell Posted at 2016-6-7 20:41
Have you done the controller calibration? Mine did the same and I didn't realise when you move the s ...

RE: calibration - answered in #3

RE: "... move the sticks during the calibration that you also have a bar that shows movement of the gimbal wheel."

I'm not visualizing this. Would you post a screen capture?

2016-6-7
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-6-8 05:37
Hi Yes I have the same problem with my P3S. When I first turn the gimble control down the camera tur ...

Hi Just did gimbal calibration and it's now as smooth as silk . Great !
2016-6-7
Use props
jefferyfarrell
lvl.2
New Zealand

Hopefully this helps. When you go to the controller calibration you calibrate both the control sticks and the gimbal wheel. When you calibrate remember to move the gimbal wheel as well. I didn't and couldn't figure out why I couldn't stop my camera moving in 1 direction and then the other.
Screenshot_2016-06-08-17-26-41.png
2016-6-7
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

jefferyfarrell Posted at 2016-6-7 22:31
Hopefully this helps. When you go to the controller calibration you calibrate both the control stick ...

Yes, that helps immensely!

Did a gimbal calbration (without IMU calibration) first and saw no change in gimbal response to the dial.

In the screen before this one, before touching 'Calibrate', moving the Camera Dial (what the user manual calls Gimbal Dial) resulted in the blue line either full left or full right with the slightest touch of the Dial. Way too much gain!

Once calibrated, the gimbal pitches as expected.

Apparently once Remote Controller calibration is started, you can not cancel out and have the untouched control retain its last saved value.

Now what's odd is that the battery replacement disconnect issue appears to be fixed as well. Can't wait for the explanation of that!

Case closed!

Gimbal Dial neutral

Gimbal Dial neutral

Gimbal Dial output full right

Gimbal Dial output full right
2016-6-8
Use props
amrunner4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87188 ft
United States

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-8 15:00
Yes, that helps immensely!

In the screen before this one, before touching 'Calibrate', moving the  ...

I had this exact same issue with my P3S with the gimbal moving briefly in the opposite direction of command before reversing to the correct direction.

Callibrating not only the controller sticks but also the gimbal wheel solved the problem for me too.

Good info to have in the main instructions.  
2016-6-8
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

amrunner4 Posted at 2016-6-8 12:10
I had this exact same issue with my P3S with the gimbal moving briefly in the opposite direction o ...

And it'd be good for the app to have a 'Needs Calibration' warning when control settings are unreasonable.
2016-6-8
Use props
jefferyfarrell
lvl.2
New Zealand

Glad you got it going. It told me ages to fix because I didn't know that the gimbal wheel was calibrated in the controller calibration. I always thought it should be with the gimbal options.
2016-6-8
Use props
jefferyfarrell
lvl.2
New Zealand

Took* Damn phone keyboard
2016-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules