Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CAUTION: DJI Repair Shipping -> Costs
9752 38 2016-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michaelmariant
New

I had read many accounts of shady or difficult customer service, but hoped that it was isolated incidents. Please read the below before you get caught in the same shipping scam that DJI just did on me.

Over a month ago, I contacted DJI support as my Inspire was not sending video signal to the DJI Go app anymore. No crashes, just switched batteries one day and the app gave the “no signal” banner warning. Tried multiple resets, firmware checks, and everything listed on the forums to try and resolve the problem before contacting DJI support.

After a month of back-and-forth, on Friday, May 27, DJI finally says the unit needs repair under warranty and provides an RMA number. In the same email, it states “In certain circumstances, DJI may as a courtesy provide a shipping label for those RMAs that qualify. Please allow approximately 24-48 hours for this label to arrive.”

Monday, June 6: I’m not home the week following the RMA email to ship the unit, so a full 10 days later, on June 6, I go to UPS and ship the RC, controller and camera to the Carson, CA address. (As I live in Central California, it will arrive next day even at ground shipping.) Total cost with insurance: $158.

Was not happy at all that I would have to pay shipping to return the unit under warranty for repair, as if the unit was faulty while under warranty, DJI should cover all costs for the repair.

Tuesday, June 7: Check UPS site and the unit was delivered and signed for that morning at 9:41am. Just over an hour later, at 10:47am, I receive an email from DJI that provides a pre-paid shipping label to send the unit back to them! One hour after they have signed for the unit at the repair facility, they then send a pre-paid shipping label!!! And 7 business days after the first email that says in certain circumstances, they will provide a label within 24-48 hours!

I was furious that they wait to send a pre-paid label until after they receive the unit, so I go back to the support discussion thread and explain the above and request a refund for the shipping, as they intended to pay for the shipping anyways by sending the pre-paid label.

Wed., June 8: The response I receive from Mark at DJI Support: “Thank you for contacting DJI. We appreciate you taking the time in writing in regarding your experience with the RMA as well as the shipping label. While we regret in the delay on sending out the shipping label, we would not be able to refund you the costs of the shipping in the unit. We do look forward to helping you get back up in the air as quickly as possible and thank you for sending us the aircraft. Have a great dya. “

Not at all the response I expected to receive. They clearly intended to pay for shipping, but don't fulfill their intentions and back out. I respond back stating the obvious, including that I did not rush to send the unit back, possibly crossing paths with the emailed delivery label as I didn’t send it until 10 days after receiving the RMA. I close with that if DJI had intended to cover the shipping costs by sending a pre-paid UPS label, then DJI needs to follow through with their intention. This isn’t a grey area but DJI moving in an unprofessional and unethical direction.

Today: The response I receive back this morning from Mark at DJI Support: “Thank you for your response. I appreciate your thoughts on this point. However, the cost of you sending in the product for a repair is not something that will be compensated. We appreciate your understanding on this point. “

I find it completely contradictory and appalling that DJI would say that "the cost of you sending in the product for a repair is not something that will be compensated" when DJI already sent a pre-paid shipping label. How can they explain that?

Obviously either 1) the dots aren't connecting in that discussion that DJI attempted compensation after the fact, or 2) Mark at DJI Support doesn’t have the authority to do anything.

Anyone here have recommendation on how to pursue getting DJI to fulfill what they intended? I’m really shocked at how unprofessional DJI Support was in this matter.

Thanks for any help!

Michael M
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael,
I am sorry for your experience with shipping. Let me see if there's anything I can do.
Are you able to email the shipping receipt to your ticket number and that may help.
And when saying the cost of YOU sending a product is not something that will be compensated is because DJI has business accounts with the shipping companies and it would have been far less cost to DJI to have your aircraft shipped to them including insurance. That's why that statement is made.

After the 10 days did you attempt to contact DJI and ask if a shipping label is being provided?

I promise you DJI is not here to try and cheat you just to get you to pay for shipping and not DJI.
The timing of you receiving the label just after your aircraft arrived here does not mean anything as the department who issues the RMA labels has nothing to do with items received.

Again, I am sorry that you had this experience and please reply to the ticket# email with the UPS receipt and I will try to assist if I'm able to.
2016-6-9
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Last I checked, a scam is based on cheating someone out of their money for your own benefit. Only ones that made money on this is UPS. Understand your frustration but not the use of scam and unethical. They just don't apply here. Hope it works out for the best.
2016-6-9
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-6-9 15:09
Last I checked, a scam is based on cheating someone out of their money for your own benefit. Only on ...

Michael it sounds like a little customer service is in order here its very clear they made a mistake its a simple fix. To credit you or reimburse you is the minimum that should be done . There not machines this should not take a forum for Ken to get involved my God man this not the IRS  simple fix get smart DJi please!
They work on Drones stop acting like one service center!  easy fix unreal man.
2016-6-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Your mistake was paying for the UPS service yourself when DJI had already said they would offer a pre pay label.
Why on earth would you then go and pay $158 of your own money instead of chasing DJI for the pre paid they offered?

Makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm with DJI on this one I'm afraid.
2016-6-10
Use props
uas2
lvl.1

I do not feel that you are being reasonable in your expectations. I assume that you paid for the shipping under the assumption that it was your responsibility. The only thing that appears to change this assumption is the fact that you did receive a return shipping label. If it was a "scam" why bother to send the shipping label to you at all?

What I do not think you are grasping is that $158 does not equate to the $20 it would have cost them for the shipping label if you used it.

Since it is the same State you could have sent it by courier for same day delivery at a far greater cost. Would you then assume that they should pay for the courier, without their consent, using the same logic that they would have paid the shipping costs?

If you object to the shipping cost of $158, which you seem to now be doing, you should have pressed for the return shipping label.

Never once did they suggest that you should pay for the shipping out of your own pocket, you made this decision without even consulting DJI, and now expect them to pay 8 times the shipping cost it would have cost them. I think your expectations are unreasonable. DJI should not be held responsible for your poor decisions.
2016-6-10
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-6-10 17:31
Your mistake was paying for the UPS service yourself when DJI had already said they would offer a pr ...

So you're saying 10 Days for a shipping label works for you and your time needs.
2016-6-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Why would you wait a week and then send it "Next Day Express "  No wonder it was so expensive , I have shipped similar boxes that took a bit longer but were about 35 dollars with Insurance.  Also I am sure that  DJI has an account with one of the Shipping vendors that would cut the shipping cost's considerably on there end.  You had no authorization to ship the aircratft and expect to be compensated.  

Sorry you had trouble , but I side with DJI on this one,  

I have shipped similar sized items for far less than  what you paid , and acroos the country no less.  

Sorry mate for the troubles with the machine but be reasonable.

And you are Implying SCAM, like they are doing this with intent to harm or with intentional Malice  , change the title , that is  the only thing unethical and unprofessional here.

donnie

2016-6-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-6-9 17:09
Last I checked, a scam is based on cheating someone out of their money for your own benefit. Only on ...

Hear- Hear, flightime  Hear- Hear !!  That title is BOGUS

donnie
2016-6-10
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-10 08:38
Why would you wait a week and then send it "Next Day Express "  No wonder it was so expensive , I ha ...

I have to agree with you Donnie. This does not make sense. He stated that due to the proximity it would be one day only.
2016-6-10
Use props
Ricardo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I feel for you, but I also think it wouldn't have been my choice to send it "next-day" out of my own pocket after I already waited that long. I totally understand DJI not refunding your money because of their contracts with whatever shipping companies they use. You can't expect them to do that for you in my opinion. Was the "customer service" what is should be...probably not, but I think I would have been on the phone asking where my shipping label was! Doubtful that the same people that received your aircraft were the same ones issuing you shipping label, so I don't think there is any type of SCAM here in my opinion. Maybe they could offer something back for you, but I wouldn't think it is for them to pay for that expedited shipping...after all it was you that made that decision.
2016-6-10
Use props
usnswc007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 669026 ft

While some of the guys that I talk with at the JI seemed very willing to help that squared stopped was at the lipservice. A couple of the young ladies that I spoke with during my situation were nothing short of rude and Condescending. While I was raised to never hit a woman if I ever run into these two young ladies I will make an exception. While I got my shipping tags and everything OK. The repairs were less than adequate I spent over $1800 between my two inspires and now have a couple of dronesthat I am afraid to fly. One response in an erratic manner and the second one who's repair cost for $1400 won't even activate. Would somebody please give DJI some competition as they are getting way too cocky and uncaring. I am currently looking to purchase a larger drone to carry a full-size cinematic camera and unless they pull their heads out the drone will not be from DJI
2016-6-10
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

usnswc007 Posted at 2016-6-10 17:08
While some of the guys that I talk with at the JI seemed very willing to help that squared stopped w ...

Well don't look to Yuneec - I had to deal with Germany and they are no better.  I can understand the frustration of waiting for a label, which is probably a two minute job to send via email.
and then you've got to find a pickup point and take it there - all this because they send out a faulty item.
2016-6-10
Use props
michaelmariant
New

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-10 20:38
Why would you wait a week and then send it "Next Day Express "  No wonder it was so expensive , I ha ...

Donnie,

I never said I shipped it next day express. I shipped it via UPS as the lowest ground rate. Due to proximity (roughly 400 miles) it arrived the next day.

DJI never said they would send a shipping label nor did they imply they would. Their form email said that in certain situations they would send a label within 24-48 hours. After 10 days, it did not appear that this was a special situation.

I agree that "scam" is a harsh word for this; the context is that I feel scammed.
2016-6-10
Use props
michaelmariant
New

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-10 05:27
Michael,
I am sorry for your experience with shipping. Let me see if there's anything I can do.
Are ...

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you looking into this. I did attach the UPS receipt and the delivery confirmation to the ticket on my first reply to support on June 7.

There is quite a bit of comments that I shouldn't have paid for next day shipping, which I did not do. I did UPS ground, the lowest rate, which due to proximity of roughly 400 miles, arrives the next day. Also, I never was told I would receive a shipping label, but only a form email response that said in certain situations a label would be provided within 24-48 hours. After 10 days, that interprets that this isn't one of those certain situations.

The timing of receiving the shipping label after the the unit had already been received is what led to me feeling scammed.

I greatly appreciate you looking into this matter.

Cheers,
Michael M.
2016-6-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

michaelmariant Posted at 2016-6-11 01:41
Hello Ken,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you looking into this. I did attach the UPS rec ...

Michael,
I have tried everything I can do and I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do.
I did see your $158 receipt and I also see your emails between you and management and The last email from management is what stays.
2016-6-10
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Welcome to working with DJI Michael. The place where you pay for everything like it or not
2016-6-10
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Take is as you will but I always wonder if people think they are helping their own case when they call the company they are seeking assistance from scammers, liars, and thieves, as we've seen so often on the forum. Maybe it's just me but, that seems like a very poor strategy.
2016-6-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-10 07:38

I do appreciate your courteous rebuttal ,  some come back and just spew rubbish , I just dont understand why it cost so much .

"DJI never said they would send a shipping label nor did they imply they would."...................   So because DJI sent the label you are upset ?  You must realise they get a huge price break shipping  .  I still think if the shiiping would have been at a reasonable price , they would have workded with you .                     

The edit "Scam "  In the Edit to "Cost" is  still in poor taste .  If you are trying to get some help , this is the wrong way  mate.

I am really sorry you are having trouble with your rig, I think this just came down to a miscommunication.

We are just going to have to agree to dis- agree on this one .  

donnie  

2016-6-11
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-11 09:01
I do appreciate your courteous rebuttal ,  some come back and just spew rubbish , I just dont under ...

Here is a question for DJI. Even though you sent a prepaid shipping label, and since it wasn't used, are you still being charged for the non shipment of this label?
I ask this because I have used services like UPS shiptack and others but we aren't billed for the shipment unless UPS gets the label into their system via scanning the bar code. As the company I am referring to is much smaller than DJI, I would think that they would have something similar.  

Who was the carrier for the label that was emailed but never used?

Also, DJI's policy: “In certain circumstances, DJI may as a courtesy provide a shipping label for those RMAs that qualify. Please allow approximately 24-48 hours for this label to arrive.”  Did you ever receive a prepaid label withing 24-48 hours of getting the RMA number? Does it say anywhere were you are reponsible for the courtesy???

2016-6-11
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Somebody SCAMMED you on the shipping!

I just checked on the UPS website and to ship a 24" x 24" x 16" box from where I am (North Carolina) to Los Angeles with insured value of $1800.00 came to $106.00.
If I shipped it to Baltimore MD,  (400 miles away) $60.05. This is retail at a UPS store without a UPS account.
DJI does take care of it's service issues, it just takes time.... and patience. I had a battery replaced without a problem, but it took 3 weeks. I think their service department is overwhelmed.

Just my 2 cents.
2016-6-11
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just don't understand why you would ship something without a label...I've shipped a full drone in a Pelican case three times across the country. Each time DJI paid for it. I didn't pay for it myself and ask to be reimbursed...most organizations need to authorize costs before money is distributed. Also your few items cost 3X what my entire drone and Pelican case cost. I'm not sure why you chose that method of shipping. I've never had any issues with their shipping department...
2016-6-13
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-10 14:51
Michael,
I have tried everything I can do and I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do.
I did see yo ...

Are you able to post what the last email from management says? I'm curious to see why they wouldn't pay for it. I'm assuming it's because he paid himself and they can't reimburse ridiculously high prices...
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-6-11 03:41
Welcome to working with DJI Michael. The place where you pay for everything like it or not

100% not true, if you followed the thread you would understand that.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I edited your thread to take SCAM out of the title as this was clearly not the case.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-14 00:30
I just don't understand why you would ship something without a label...I've shipped a full drone in  ...

DJI does not reimburse if you paid your own shipping. If that did happen then it was a special circumstance that was pre-arranged somehow.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-14 00:34
Are you able to post what the last email from management says? I'm curious to see why they wouldn' ...

The emails are his confidential information.
But it basically states that DJI does not reimburse for shipping after the fact.
if yo can please give me your ticket number as I would like to see the notes where you said DJI reimbursed you three times. That is not policy for sending in repairs.
2016-6-13
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 12:52
DJI does not reimburse if you paid your own shipping. If that did happen then it was a special cir ...

Hello! No, I was not reimbursed. They sent me the shipping label first and then I shipped...it's normal financial policy to not reimburse. It obviously should be approved first...
2016-6-13
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 12:54
The emails are his confidential information.
But it basically states that DJI does not reimburse  ...

Yes, that makes total sense.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-14 02:44
Hello! No, I was not reimbursed. They sent me the shipping label first and then I shipped...it's n ...

Your post made it seam like you shipped and then asked to be reimbursed.
Anyways, DJI does not pay for shipping an aircraft back in a Pelican case.
They only pay for the weight of the aircraft in the original box or similar size box.
So there is not shipping labels sent that would allow you to ship it in a pelican case and for sure not 3 times.
Again, if is was allowed then it was a certain circumstance.
And still I'l like a ticket number or email so I can look at the details of how that happened.
2016-6-13
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 15:37
Your post made it seam like you shipped and then asked to be reimbursed.
Anyways, DJI does not pay ...

Yes! No problem.

The first time I shipped it was in a Pelican. I think the rules changed as the second time was in the case. Probably a rule was created stating that all shipments had to be in the original case.

It looks like one ticket number is: 155243 it looks like the other is: 160203DJ6-IS7314

In any case, I've been happy with every interaction I've had with your repair services. The first time was longer than expected but you did have a move between warehouses at that time.

Best,
Gavin
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Morrisson Posted at 2016-6-14 11:49
Yes! No problem.

The first time I shipped it was in a Pelican. I think the rules changed as the  ...

No problem, and I can't find anything with that ticket number in the US.
Let's forget about that.
DJI's policy may send you a shipping label to have your aircraft shipped back ground and if you happened to pay for shipping yourself then their is no reimbursement.
2016-6-13
Use props
quehouse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31919 ft
Canada

Just finished going through the same thing. 26 emails back and forth to dji repair and still now refund or acceptance of fault on their side. Plus...after checking out my drone and controller they replaced parts and charged over $100. I felt my drone was being held ransom. All that was wrong was the controller would not calibrate. Nothing else.
2016-8-5
Use props
SteveHalford
lvl.2
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-6-10 14:14
Take is as you will but I always wonder if people think they are helping their own case when they call the company they are seeking assistance from scammers, liars, and thieves, as we've seen so often on the forum. Maybe it's just me but, that seems like a very poor strategy.

Maybe people are just sick and tired of the incredibly poor customer service. I posted about my experience with dji and they do suck ! Plain and simple !!! I own two businesses and would never treat or speak to my customers the way they do. I had to drive up to there office in Carson and had to get unpleasant when they said they had my drones at another building. Got the old song and dance about there being another building  and they did not receive shipments there while a BIG UPS truck pulled around back. I became very "TESTY" and suddenly the security guard comes out with my drones !!! They flat lied to my face.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans7d3eb4d8
New

United States

I just found my package with relief. Thinking my mavic pro was stolen or lost because i recieved an email stating that it has been delivered to my address. that was delivered yesterday 24 aug 2017. I just opened it this afternoon and it's not my drone. Check the box for shippers and receivers info. All correct- from Dji to myself. The contents of the package are not my drone i have been patiently waiting for its a couple of anime VHS. I'm lost for thoughts- is this a joke?
2017-8-25
Use props
fans7d3eb4d8
New

United States

fans7d3eb4d8 Posted at 2017-8-25 13:43
I just found my package with relief. Thinking my mavic pro was stolen or lost because i recieved an email stating that it has been delivered to my address. that was delivered yesterday 24 aug 2017. I just opened it this afternoon and it's not my drone. Check the box for shippers and receivers info. All correct- from Dji to myself. The contents of the package are not my drone i have been patiently waiting for its a couple of anime VHS. I'm lost for thoughts- is this a joke?

I am so upset right now. I paid all the fees for dji refresh and fix what i broke no scams or anything shady- the shipping label staes its dji's package. Do i contact Dji or ups. I dont have time or the pateints for this right now
2017-8-25
Use props
SteveHalford
lvl.2
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-6-10 14:14
Take is as you will but I always wonder if people think they are helping their own case when they call the company they are seeking assistance from scammers, liars, and thieves, as we've seen so often on the forum. Maybe it's just me but, that seems like a very poor strategy.

Flighttime1, I don't know if you're still out there but you are out there........wussy !!!
2018-4-9
Use props
fansfefdfdec
New

United States

I sent my drone back to DJI and paid for repairs. Dji shipped my drone back but I was out of state on a job. No one was home to sign for my mavic and it was sent back. It has been over a year and I have been told over 40 times my drone will be sent back and I'll be sent a tracking # asap. Which never happens.
2018-7-27
Use props
fansfefdfdec
New

United States

I sent my drone back to dji for repairs, paid for the repairs and have since never received my drone. My drone was sent to my house while I was out of state working and so was sent back to their California facility due to no one being their to sign for it. I have called at least 30 times trying to get my drone back. Its been over a year, I paid for the repairs and have essentially been robbed.
Not only of my 1000$ drone but also roughly 300$ for repairs. When I call on told it will be taken care of right away and I will be receiving a tracking number asap in my email. Usually they confirm my email address at that point but never do I get a tracking # or have I gotten my drone. I have the ups records of its location,  my case number. Im going to keep telling my story.
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules