Not Happy with the Z Axis Arm. Gives worse Up/Down Bob
1399 6 2016-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chicago DP
lvl.2

United States

Hey all you guys screaming about your Z Axis being late. I used mine for the first time today, thankfully not on a real gig! I was doing a location scout at car dealerships and figured I would bring the Osmo along to film tests. I thought my moves were OK, but now that I imported them I see a pronounced up and down bob. Don't mean to brag but I have practiced so much using the heel-to-toe Ninja Walk I was like a Stedicam. I figured with the Z Axis I wouldn't draw stares walking funny. However, the bob is WORSE with the Z Axis.

I had seen the tutorials including Osmotips and to keep the spring a little below horizontal, but here's the problem: You can't really tweak it on a real job when you're moving fast to keep a schedule because you'd have to keep ejecting the card to view it on a laptop, hard to see bobs on a phone, which is another drawback of not having it Bluetooth to a larger monitor. It may look OK on your phone but when you're watching on a 27" display, there's up and down bobbing.

In sum, it worked well when I ran straight forward but for regular Osmo use I guess I will have to remove it. ugh! In sum, I am better without it unless I plan to run straight forward.

http://www.vimeo.com/170098308

password:  osmo
2016-6-9
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

Its obvious that it needs to be an active stabilization system. This will require a dedicated battery and increase size. Perhaps a damper could be fitted to help eliminate the bob....
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
To some extent, the Z-Axis should work although it may not eliminate all the wobbles, you may still need to take care of your steps.
In case you don't use it properly, please review the User Manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Start_Guide_en.pdf
The performance of the gimbal also depends on its profile, please check the Gimbal Profile you set in the DJI GO App.

Thanks.
2016-6-12
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.2

I am very expert in "The Walk", I thought the Z Axis would help with stairs and running. It does help a little bit but for regular walking moves the Z Axis is worse than if I was  just doing the heel-to-toe Ninja Walk.
2016-6-13
Use props
rpknowles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 736033 ft
United States

osmo password not working for me
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rpknowles Posted at 2016-6-13 22:26
osmo password not working for me

Hey, I tried and "osmo" doesn't work, then I tried "OSMO" and it worked.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-6-13 21:09
I am very expert in "The Walk", I thought the Z Axis would help with stairs and running. It does hel ...

Hello, Chicago DP
As you know, the Z-Axis is purely mechnical design, it mainly depends on the elasticity of the spring to compensate our body movement, while actually you're holding the Osmo steady, due to the nature elasticity of the spring, the stabilization may be worse. Well, if your body movement range is larger, the spring will help to adjust the stabilization well.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules