Osmo works with x3 but not x5 (firmware update problem?)
4540 27 2016-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

Hi all.

Just got the X5 adapter plate for the Osmo. But I'm stuck. The X3 works fine on the Osmo, everything works. The X3 even works when mounted to the X5 adapter plate. But when I attach the X5 onto the Osmo and turn it on... nothing. The Osmo won't display a wifi signal, the gimbal/camera doesn't move, all I get is the right green LED flashing for a few seconds and then turning solid, left LED remains green. Other than that, it doesn't work, at all. I know the X5 is fine because it powers up no problem on the Inspire. But for some reason the Osmo doesn't turn it on.

Is the problem have to do with the firmware? I don't know how to update the Osmo to run in the latest Pro firmware. I've put the Pro firmware on the SD card root directory and tried to update the Osmo handle both using the X3 and the X5. Even put the Osmo firmware on the SD card and tried to see if the Inspire would install it to the camera. But it ignores the firmware update in the X3 and obviously the X5 doesn't power on so it doesn't even get to the firmware update process.

What's going on?! How do I get the bloody thing to work? Been fussing at this for a while now and I've run out of ideas...

When the X3 is attached, inside of DJI Go it says the firmware is 1.6.2.10. So how do I get it to the Osmo Pro 1.1.00.10?
2016-6-9
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone! Wanted to post an update. The amazing guys over at Multicopter Warehouse (really, really recommend them!) immediately shipped me out a new X5 adapter after I sent them this forum post. Unlike DJI (which takes forever and has terrible customer service--sorry DJI-Adela, you've been very helpful, it's the rest of your company that's tough) I got a replacement adapter in two business days. I just now plugged it in and the X5 has immediately responded and is now completing the firmware upgrade.

So yes - any future people who stumble upon this post If your X3 works on the Osmo but not the X5 then it's a fault of the adapter. Get it swapped out for a new one!!

Cheers to the rest who of you who gave helpful advice. Very excited to get my Osmo Pro up and running.
2016-6-21
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

Anyone? Any thoughts? Stuck with a non-working X5 Osmo and want to get it working!
2016-6-11
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

Are you using the stick battery on the x5? Does the x3 work when mounted on the adapter?
2016-6-11
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

Burlbark Posted at 2016-6-11 10:29
Are you using the stick battery on the x5? Does the x3 work when mounted on the adapter?

Yes, stick battery when with the X5.

And yes! As I mentioned in the post I'm using the X3 on the X5 adapter plate and it works perfectly. Only when the X5 is attached nothing happens. No Wifi signal, no gimbal movement, nothing but green lights on the Osmo itself.
2016-6-11
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-12 02:53
Yes, stick battery when with the X5.

And yes! As I mentioned in the post I'm using the X3 on the ...

Hi, as you probably already know the firmware version v1.1.0.10 is only for the X5
Try this thread it may help http://forum.dji.com/thread-50032-1-2.html
2016-6-11
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-6-11 18:17
Hi, as you probably already know the firmware version v1.1.0.10 is only for the X5
Try this thread ...

Thanks for replying! Yes, I know the firmware is for the X5... that's why I've loaded the v.1.1.0.10 firmware onto the root of the SD card on the X5 and plugged it into the Osmo. But there's no 'updating' that happens, no blinking camera light, literally the Osmo does nothing as I've mentioned above. Do you know why the gimbal won't even power on?
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-12 11:17
Thanks for replying! Yes, I know the firmware is for the X5... that's why I've loaded the v.1.1.0. ...

Hello.
Have you watched the Osmo Pro firmware upgrade tutorial in the provided thread? Please follow the upgrade guidelines in our official website.
If above method doesn't work for you, please try "Trigger+Shutter+Power Switch" to upgrade the firmware.

Before the firmware upgrade, you are advised to format the SD card firstly, and then extract the correct firmeare bin file to the SD card, keep the SD inserted in the camera unitl the upgrade is finished.

Wait for your further feedback.
For any issue, please contact us anytime.
Thanks.
2016-6-11
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-12 00:31
Hello.
Have you watched the Osmo Pro firmware upgrade tutorial in the provided thread? Please foll ...

Hi there! Thanks for coming in to help.

Yes, I've done exactly what the video shows. I even tried your suggestion by holding the trigger and shutter button and powering on the Osmo, but nothing happens.

The light on the X5 camera never comes on, never shows green, the gimbal motors don't engage at all. And the Osmo itself never creates a wifi network so I can't log in to see what it's doing.

It's as if the Osmo isn't sending power to the X5. If the X3 didn't power on normally I would think that the adapter is broken but the X3 works perfectly well while on the X5 adapter.

Would the X5 itself have some type of firmware issue that would prevent it from powering on with the Osmo? I plugged the X5 onto the Inspire 1 with the latest firmware but the camera didn't update (guess there wasn't a firmware update for the X5 in the latest batch). But would an outdated X5 camera prevent the Osmo from recognizing it?

Still stuck...
2016-6-12
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-13 05:47
Hi there! Thanks for coming in to help.

Yes, I've done exactly what the video shows. I even tried ...

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
To look into the situation further, I need your further cooperation.
1) Please check the connection between the X5 adaptor and the X5 camera.
2) Please make sure you downloaded the correct Osmo Pro firmware but not the Osmo Raw firmware.
3) Please try to re-upgrade the firmware according to the instruction in the official tutorial. If the upgrade fails, please send the “OSMO_FC550_FW_LOG_AB.txt” located on the Micro SD card root directory to us for analysis. You will need to enable the “display hidden folders” option on your computer.

Wait for your further feedback.
2016-6-12
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-12 20:35
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
To look into the situation further, I need your further cooperation.

Hi there!

1) I have checked the connection on the X5. Many times. Not an issue. Again, the X5 works on the Inspire.
2) I have double checked (and recently downloaded) the OSMO_FC550_FW_V01.01.00.10 firmware from http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
3) I have placed the .bin file in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted MicroSD card and put the card inside the the X5.
4)There is no report or log .txt file in the root directory. As the update cannot 'fail' if the camera doesn't initiate the update process. There are NO LIGHTS on the camera at all when plugged into the Osmo.

The Osmo behaves as if the X5 is not plugged in. When I disconnect both the X5 or the X3 and turn the Osmo on, it does not create a wifi network or do anything with the status lights other than green. When I plug in the X3 the Osmo works. But when I plugged in the X5 it does not create a wifi network as if it is unplugged.

MY QUESTION: I haven't updated the X5 firmware recently. Is there a firmware update to the X5 that allows it to recognize the Osmo handle? Because I would think that even if the X5 wasn't update it would still power up when attached to the handle. But it does not even power up at all as I have mentioned, so I'm not sure where the disconnect is coming from.
2016-6-12
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

To continue this saga: I plugged everything back up to the Inspire, double checked that the X5 firmware was up to date (it did have an update, which I applied, and now on the GO app it lists both the X5 and Inspire 1 with current firmware). Thinking this was good news, I plugged the X5 back onto the Osmo... but nothing. Still completely dead. When the X3 was plugged back in (again, same adapter plate as the X5) it powers up with no issue.

WHAT IS GOING ON?! I need this X5 to work!
2016-6-12
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-13 14:26
To continue this saga: I plugged everything back up to the Inspire, double checked that the X5 firmw ...

Hi,
Thanks for your further information.
In our initial judgement based on all the information, the issue may be out of the connection between your X5 camera and the X5 adaptor, could you please return both your X5 and the X5 adaptor for our further check? I'm afraid you'll have to return both of them so that we can help to solve the issue one time. Sorry for any possible inconvenience caused.

You please contact your dealer or support.us@dji.com for the returning.
If you need any help from us, please let me know.
2016-6-13
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-13 01:24
Hi,
Thanks for your further information.
In our initial judgement based on all the information, th ...

I was hoping that you wouldn't say that! I've had terrible experiences in the past with returning things to DJI repair shops...

Are you sure it's a problem with the adapter? Because if it was, wouldn't the X3 not work?
2016-6-13
Use props
media100
lvl.2

Germany

I had exactly the same issue with my X5 Osmo adapter...working with X3 but dead with X5. Sent the adapter back to DJI Service Europe in the Netherlands for replacement. They said that they've checked my X5 adaptor and it's working fine, so they'll send it back to me. Ok, I received it back and for the first time it was working indeed !!!! Although DJI says they didn't repair or replace my adapter before sending it back to me, I don't believe that because I spent several hours to get the adapter working before sending it to DJI service. The adapter generally has no serial number label, so I'm sure DJI replaced mine with a working one, although they deny this.
2016-6-13
Use props
media100
lvl.2

Germany

Don't send your X5 to DJI if it works without problems on the inspire,  you might get another one from them with new problems. I'm sure the X5 adapter itself is the problem.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

media100 Posted at 2016-6-14 01:29
I had exactly the same issue with my X5 Osmo adapter...working with X3 but dead with X5. Sent the ad ...

Hey Media100,
If our technicians said that your X5 adaptor is without any functional problem, it should be true. Your X5 adaptor was definitely checked by the technicians, since the issue is just the bad connection between the X5 camera and the X5 adaptor, they just don't fit each other very well, the cause may be just out of the physical parts inside which results in the bad connection. Our technicans should just adjust something physically.

All in all, I'm happy that your X5 adaptor finally works.
Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-13 23:22
I was hoping that you wouldn't say that! I've had terrible experiences in the past with returning  ...

Hello, Joelgerlach
I'm sorry for your former experiences, we'll try our best to improve the services in the future.
Because the connector of X3 is different from the connector of X5, so if the X3 can work well with the adaptor, it can't guarantee that the adaptor will work normally with X5 for sure in your situation. It shouldn't be a big issue, however, we would suggest you to return it for a professional test and repair.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your cooperation.
2016-6-13
Use props
clive.digipulse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2199085 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same issue.  x3 works with the adapter.  x5 works on my inspire.  x5 doesn't get any power on the osmo adapter.  if it was an x5 issue the x5 wouldn't work on the inspire.  by process of elimination there's nothing left other then the fact that the x5 and the x5 adapter are not meshing well for what ever reason.  
2016-6-14
Use props
clive.digipulse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2199085 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same issue.  x3 works with the adapter.  x5 works on my inspire.  x5 doesn't get any power on the osmo adapter.  if it was an x5 issue the x5 wouldn't work on the inspire.  by process of elimination there's nothing left other then the fact that the x5 and the x5 adapter are not meshing well for what ever reason.  
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

clive.digipulse Posted at 2016-6-15 10:02
I'm having the exact same issue.  x3 works with the adapter.  x5 works on my inspire.  x5 doesn't ge ...

Sorry about the issue.
In this case, please send it in for further check.

Thanks for your feedback.
2016-6-14
Use props
RotorTalk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628392 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello,  I've got exactly the same issue.  My Osmo works fine with X3 camera but when I place an X5 on it with the DJI adaptor it won't boot - no power light come on the camera.  If I place the Osmo Pro firmware on to an SD card and then try to boot - the Osmo handle comes on with a green light on the right and a yellow/grn light on the left (steady). The camera does nothing - is it upgrading? If so why not have a few flashing lights on the handle or a sound like the phantom 3/4 upgrade tones?
2016-6-15
Use props
jmcadory
lvl.1
United States

Exact same issue with my X5 and the new adapter.  Went thought all of the steps suggested by DJI with no luck.  Got an RMA to ship the X5 and adapter back.
June 28 UPDATE:  I got the X5 and the adapter back from DJI yesterday so just under two weeks from the time I sent it which is a quicker turnaround that I expected.  The X5 now works on the OSMO and other that the really noisy fan, seems to be ok.  I have no idea what was adjusted/fixed/replaced as no paperwork came back with the items and the online tracking provides no info.  On the downside, the fan is just as noisy as it was when I sent it in.
2016-6-15
Use props
joelgerlach
lvl.1

United States

I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem!

Because I know that DJI service has been pretty gnarly in the past, I think I might just straight up return the adapter (bought it from an authorized reseller) and just try to buy one off another reseller. I'm glad to know, though, that the adapter is the thing at fault and not the Osmo handle itself. This helps narrow down the process! Thanks everyone (and DJI) for your feedback.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

RotorTalk Posted at 2016-6-15 21:57
Hello,  I've got exactly the same issue.  My Osmo works fine with X3 camera but when I place an X5 o ...

Hello RotorTalk,
If the LED on the X5 camera shows nothing, it may indicate the X5 doesn't connect to the handle correctly at all. If the camera is not working normally, the left LED on the handle will grow yellow or amber. So judging from your description, the X5 adaptor might be the problem and you may need to send it in for further analysis.

More details or further feedback would be appreciated.
If you need any other help, please let me know.
Thanks.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

jmcadory Posted at 2016-6-15 22:04
Exact same issue with my X5 and the new adapter.  Went thought all of the steps suggested by DJI wit ...

Thanks for the information.
Hope your case will be solved soon.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

joelgerlach Posted at 2016-6-15 22:51
I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem!

Because I know that DJI service has  ...

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
2016-6-15
Use props
Pablo94
New
Flight distance : 37940 ft
Spain

HI. I have the same problem.
When I turn on the osmo. X5 camera in a green LED that turns on then off. When I press the record button on the camera a red LED that turns off when again press the same button lights. And if I make a picture flashes a green LED. I mean that it seems that the camera responds to the buttons to record video and take picture. The same camera in the drone Inspire works well.

RESOLVED: only needed  connect to your phone to Osmo  and open DJI GO by wifii for activate the osmo.thank.

2016-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules