Another "How to connect" case
1054 14 2016-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lyverbe
New
Canada

Just bought my first drone, the Phantom 4.  So excited and can't wait to fly it!  Unfortunately, that excitation became frustration.  Like many users, I'm unable to pass the "How to connect" screen.

I've tried with an iPad 3 (9.0.2), a Samsung Tab S 10.5 (Lollipop) and a Samsung S7 (Marshmallow) with different cables.  I've updated the drone's firmware to the latest using DJI Assistant.  I just can't get any further.  Some people have successfully connected to it after "wiping their iPad and restoring it" but that solution is just unacceptable (nobody should have to do this).  As for Android, I did change the connection from "Charger" to "MIDI Device" and to "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)".  Still no luck after 3 hours.

I've paid $2,400 canadian dollars for this.  I cannot understand how it doesn't work right out of the box.

2016-6-10
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Hi Lyverbe,

Welcome to the forum! Yup we've seen some connectivity problem here in the forum but don't give up, yet! Many of them are solved though. Let's wait for the Android experts here to help you through:-)

Just a bit curious, have you turned on and connect everything in the right sequence? For myself, I'd connect RC to ipad, RC on, AC on, and quickly tap the Go app. It works every single time. Even with my Sony Xperia (5.0)! I heard somewhere that android 6 is kinda nuisance to connect though.

So let's see how you're going with this, and I'm sure you'll be flying the bird very soon.

Hans
2016-6-10
Use props
hjscm
New

United States

they way i connect to the samsung is to have all the apps off.  While cables are connected turn on Tx,the app should try and load itself, choose the app then turn on drone.  also with the android i have 3 cables that will charge it but will not connect to the app for some reason,try a different cable also.
2016-6-10
Use props
lyverbe
New
Canada

hjscm@me.com Posted at 2016-6-10 10:16
they way i connect to the samsung is to have all the apps off.  While cables are connected turn on T ...

What you call the "Tx" is the remote?

Interesting that 3 of your Android cables are not working.  I don't think I have that many but I can try to find more of them.  I don't see why I'd be able to connect my tablets and phone to my computer but not my Phantom's remote.

I'll try a couple of more things after work but I fear my options are running out.
2016-6-10
Use props
J.N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

Check if the dji go app is enable in your tab configurations.
connect the tab to RC .
Turn ON the RC.
Turn ON the Drone.
The App should open automaticly. IF not press the app.
chose phantom 4. press camera.
Must use the DJI cable to conect the Pad or the smart phone to RC.IF not chec if the RC is Linked to the Drone.
Keep us informed.
Chears

2016-6-10
Use props
mmarkoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same problem the first time I tried connecting to my Samsung Tab A. Turns out I was using the provided USB mini adapter connected to the RC transmitter. Once someone pointed out the mistake, using the standard USB port on the RC everything worked. Could this be your problem?
Marty
2016-6-10
Use props
lyverbe
New
Canada

J.N Posted at 2016-6-10 12:05
Check if the dji go app is enable in your tab configurations.
connect the tab to RC .
Turn ON the R ...

It's now working with my Samsung Tab S!

I followed your steps and it worked on the first try!
YES!

Merci
2016-6-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lyverbe Posted at 2016-6-10 21:13

Please read the manual and watch the videos, particularly the section on RTH.
2016-6-10
Use props
hjscm
New

United States

yes very strange on cables. don't know wy but some of mine won't work.  they charge fine but will not connect to app
2016-6-10
Use props
lyverbe
New
Canada

hjscm@me.com Posted at 2016-6-10 18:07
yes very strange on cables. don't know wy but some of mine won't work.  they charge fine but will no ...

In my case, it wasn't a cable issue.  I can now use my Samsung tablet regardless of the cable I use without any problem.
2016-6-10
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

hjscm@me.com Posted at 2016-6-10 15:07
yes very strange on cables. don't know wy but some of mine won't work.  they charge fine but will no ...

Some USB cables are for charging only - the data pins are not connected. Can't tell by looking.
2016-6-10
Use props
J.N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

lyverbe Posted at 2016-6-10 22:13

your welcome. good fligts.
2016-6-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

What IOS Version on the iPad 9.02? Did you use Assistant 2?
2016-6-11
Use props
lyverbe
New
Canada

rodger Posted at 2016-6-11 06:56
What IOS Version on the iPad 9.02? Did you use Assistant 2?

Well, 9.0.2 is the iOS version.  The iPad version is 3.

I did use Assistant 2 to update the drone's firmware.
2016-6-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

lyverbe Posted at 2016-6-11 07:41
Well, 9.0.2 is the iOS version.  The iPad version is 3.

I did use Assistant 2 to update the drone ...

I think your problem is with the IOS Version that you are using. I could be wrong but DJI and Apple pretty much run hand in hand. I am using an iPad Mini 4 which is perfect. I have gone through 3 Firmware updates with my P4 and everything has gone smoothly. The Assistant can be a little tricky. The thing that I discovered is that the Phantom has to be powered up when you connect the USB Cable to the Mac.
I wouldn't give up. The P4 is quite the machine. I understand your frustration. When I have a problem such as yours I put things down and start with s fresh approach a day or two later. That usually works.
2016-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules