Interaction with authorities?
1172 12 2016-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

I would like to know what other pilots think about pro actively introducing yourself to the police in your area? Good or bad? I live in a city in Minnesota that has a small police department. The same officers patrol the city routinely and once or twice, they have driven by as I flew in a school football field. Do you think it's a wise idea to go to the police station and inform the police that they may be seeing a lot of me and my drone in the upcoming weeks? I'm thinking that surely someone is going to notice a drone flying around the neighborhood and maybe it's not a bad idea to have the police already aware of me and my Phantom, before any complaints begin popping up.

Good idea, or overreaction?
2016-6-11
Use props
sergio.go
lvl.2

United States

I would do it. make sure you mention where exactly you will be flying and that you are registered and I doubt theyd have a problem. im in Miami and live 4 miles from a small airport. I always call the control tower to ask permission about flying even though im within the 5 miles and theyre super cool about it. better be safe about it. - hope this helps
2016-6-11
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I think the police have better things to do, depending on where you live. If they're curious of concerned, of course be nice and talk, answer their questions, assure them that you're not up to anything. First time that happened, once the police officer was satisfied, he slapped me on the back and went on his way, leaving me to continue.

Chris
2016-6-11
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

I still have a pic and video of a police officer and me, taken with my crappy Parrot AR Drone long ago. He drove up to me and I thought "Oh damn, here we go" as I passed a sign that said access to the terrain was prohibited. However, the barrier was open so I went there anyway. Huge open field and I immediately said I was flying over there to make sure I couldn't hit/damage anyone or anything. He was incredibly relaxed, asked me a bunch of questions and just after he said "I'd like to get one of those myself as well" he got a call and had to go. He wished me good luck and went. That was a relief ;-)

Bottom line: I think if you actively show that you are thinking about what you're doing and where you're doing it, and letting them know you're not some kind of reckless moron, all should be fine.
2016-6-11
Use props
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the input. I think you guys are right. As long as the officer can tell that you're not acting like an idiot, or flying recklessly, I doubt if most of them would give you any problems. I'm betting though as more and more drones start popping up, it will become an issue. I've had friends say they are now seeing drones flying in downtown Minneapolis, which I thought was off limits. I think sometimes it's important to remember that so long as you are following community accepted guidelines and being as safe as possible, you are not breaking any law by flying and there's nothing to be afraid of. From anyone.

2016-6-11
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Phantom DJ Posted at 2016-6-11 17:08
Thanks for the input. I think you guys are right. As long as the officer can tell that you're not ac ...

Aloha DJ,

What is the drone scene like in your town?  Are there other operators like yourself there?  The reason I ask is because of the leadership value of your concern.  When you go down to the police station to explain what you are doing and even show them what drone you use and what it is capable of doing, you are showing leadership traits.  Police routinely deal with community leaders when practicing what is called community policing.  Community policing is proactive, so by your being proactive, you are allowing the police to be proactive.  

The police receive many phone calls complaining about various things.  If the complaint appears to have merit, the police follow up on the issue and first try to resolve the complaint without action.  They try to get the community to get along with each other, often by using the services of community leaders.  Most police departments practice proactive policing because it makes their job easier in the long run and less problems in a community.  

Besides the leadership value of your drone effort, you are demonstrating to the police department the value of new technology.  Small police departments do not usually have drones, but that may change in the future.  As your police department looks toward the future and reads and sees news about how drones can be a community asset, they may contact you as a resource person on the purchase of a drone for the department.  You could even end up as an auxiliary service of the police department.  Volunteers help spread small budgets for better coverage of the community.  The proposed FAA rules would make this effort very easy and inexpensive.

There are many ways to keep peace in a community.  Your suggestion is certainly one that would help keep peace in your community.  Do as you think appropriate because if the police like your presentation and suggestions, you may be in for a lot of volunteer work.  But, that volunteer work would probably be very rewarding.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-11
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

I've never heard of police looking for trouble with you if you're flying safely and responsively. So it's quite unlikely if they're going to do anything with you.

But if you are not busy and if convenient, it's a great idea to reach them and know their opinion and inform them your presence. And maybe you can even help them someday.
2016-6-12
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-12 13:02
Aloha DJ,

What is the drone scene like in your town?  Are there other operators like yoursel ...

Thanks. Very well said.
2016-6-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha huntcool,

Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-12
Use props
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

Yes, thank you cateman, that was an extremely well said response. Are you a community leader in your town? Most excellent advice! Thanks again!!
2016-6-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Phantom DJ Posted at 2016-6-12 04:31
Yes, thank you cateman, that was an extremely well said response. Are you a community leader in your ...

Aloha DJ,

Well, sort of.  I am the IT and drone operator for our neighborhood board.  I offered the police drone services, gratis, in our area, but they said they had their own.  So end of subject.

One fun experience was during a meeting after I had videoed a 40 foot excavator excavating illegally in a wetland, the lady in charge of the operation was saying that she had only been cutting the grass in the wetland.  Using PowerDVD, I was able to zoom in on the excavator in the 4K video and I said, "This must be what it looks like cutting the grass with a 40 foot excavator!"  That lady is up to her neck in fines, but she still persists.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-12
Use props
bzenergy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4225325 ft
United States

When you are flying at a park, I would say no. However if you appear to be snooping of flying in an unsafe manner you might get unwanted attention. Is your drone registered? Do you have sport insurance? Even if all you have is FAA registration you most likely be given "the be given the benefit of doubt".  In close proximity of restricted areas - get your ducks in a row. I was given permission to fly at an air show prior to the opening flyovers. How? Work out a plan. Where are the restricted areas. What are the areas you wish to overfly?  What is the max altitude you will be flying? What is the timeframe? Then start down the line.  I talked to the airport manager ( would give them copies of Vid and Picts ) he passed me to the Air Boss for the event with a positive boost.  Take what he is willing to give ( don't be an all or nothing person ). You are building a relationship for better access for future events. Last notify local law enforcement that you have permission and where that came from.  This way they are not surprised when the paranoid people call 911.  Communication is everything and with the right paperwork you can do almost anything.  FAA has an LOE card on the website.  Most officers have not seen this yet.  But is a good tool for drone operators to know what to expect when talking to Law Enforcement.  The card is a set of guidelines when they approach a drone operator. They key again is communication - give respect get respect. And proper paperwork / authorization to operate in a particular area.  
Hope this helps.  Happy flying and kiss - Keep It Safe
image.jpeg
2016-6-12
Use props
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

Thank you buddy. yes that is  helpful. That balloon in your picture is one of my bucket list items. Have to fly that someday. Happy flying to you too!!
2016-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules