Panasonic Lumix G 8mm Fisheye for aerial photography
2335 8 2016-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

First, as for now the Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye lens is not supported or recognized by X5/X5R camera system. Although Go app stubbornly demands lens calibration every time, autofocus feature doesn't work and calibration process must be aborted. Therefore the only option is to focus manually, which in this case is a tedious and cumbersome, hit-and-miss procedure. As for all lenses in this format, the focusing ring has no stops or even numeric indicators. Moreover, the focus assistant feature is not accessible and you must rely on WYSIWYG display on tablet screen. Thankfully all lenses of this type exhibits insanely deep field of view at average 5.6 aperture. Setting the focus manually on distant object with full aperture opening usually provides good results, although to do that you need both hands.
Second, the X5 camera sees the lens hood (vignetting), which requires image cropping in postproduction. Minor annoyance, but may limit videography to 4K only.
Third, ND filtering is troubled since the lens accepts only gel type filters inserted into a slot located behind.
Said that, the lens is very well designed and build in Japan, delivering incredibly sharp image with no distortions (other than desired). Good looking, almost sexy piece of glass. With 165 g of weight is significantly heavier than 130 g Oly 12mm or 116 g Oly 45mm, but the gimbal is operating normally without the need for balancing rings.
Such good quality is reflected by hefty price tag, unfortunately. For a few brave (and rich enough) photographers out there this lens may be a good addition for spiced up imagery from above ...

panasonic fisheye.jpg
2016-6-14
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr Dobmatt, that was great, awesome fisheye effect  Beautiful visuals may I ask where you got your lens and how much if I'm not being too personal.
2016-6-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Very cool!! Looks almost like the google sphere cams.
Here’s one on ebay for $459
Amazon, $659
I have a 7-14 lumix for my GH4 which has hardly any distortion. Unfortunatley, way too heavy to put on the X5

2016-6-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>

Correction.... Amazon new is $613.56
2016-6-14
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

str1776 Posted at 2016-6-15 10:30
Mr Dobmatt, that was great, awesome fisheye effect  Beautiful visuals may I ask where you got your l ...

Get it from B&H, which I adore for best online shopping experience and excellent customer service ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... sheye_8mm_F3_5.html
2016-6-14
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the lens hook up. The Ebay connection   for the short rc cords to ipad was the deal around $7.00 apiece
Thank you Aero you saved me a view dollars!!!!!
2016-6-15
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>

You're welcome!
We're here for each other....
2016-6-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer