11052 36 2016-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thomas.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81132 ft
Germany

Hi all,
Attached I publish a Pre-Flight Checklist that might be help ful for some of you, especially if you are a nuewbie like me (at least it was for me). I got some input for this from "Toms Hardware", changed somethig and added some of my ideas. If you want some changes, please let me know. I'd like to have the MS WOrd files added as well, but that's not an allowed file type here.
BTW, there are two languages available, English and German.

DJI Phantom 4 — Pre-Flight Checklist.pdf

58.56 KB, Down times: 2262

DJI Phantom 4 — Pre-Flight Checklist Deutsch.pdf

59.09 KB, Down times: 87

2016-6-14
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Hi Thomas,
What a great idea and piece of work! This sure will help lots of us here to get a better flight each time.

If I may add, on step 1 or 3, please double check on all prop rotor lock mechanism (prop mount) as there have been reports indicating loose screw fitting.

Cheers,
Hans
2016-6-14
Use props
Thomas.
lvl.2

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-14 21:48
Hi Thomas,
What a great idea and piece of work! This sure will help lots of us here to get a better  ...

Thanks Hans, I will add this as well. Maybe someone has some more suggestions.
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

That's very useful for every pilot.Thank you for your sharing.
2016-6-14
Use props
Thomas.
lvl.2

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-15 14:50
That's very useful for every pilot.Thank you for your sharing.

You're welcome. No more suggestions?
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Thomas. Posted at 2016-6-15 15:51
You're welcome. No more suggestions?

It would be better to replace DJI Pilot with DJI GO. DJI Pilot is an old version app.
2016-6-15
Use props
dan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 587726 ft
Czechia

For me: after starting motors - wait and listen - is sound (motors, propellers) normal ? Then take off and hover ;-)
But of course great job Thomas !
2016-6-15
Use props
ed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2791040 ft
United States

I would add, in addition to checking the compass, also the IIMU.  
2016-6-15
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks, very useful. Might add check media volume on phone is up so can hear voice prompts 'take off' etc.
2016-6-15
Use props
gilv.45
New

Thank you very much Thomas. As a brand new P4 pilot the Checklist is very useful.
2016-6-15
Use props
Remco40
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56381 ft
Netherlands

Hi Thomas,

Maybe you can specify check the weather a bit ( a lot of people dont know much about KP indexes and stuff)
with a app like Hover   
* You need to check the value of the KP index before flying
* what is  the windspeed
2016-6-15
Use props
Flying Biscuit
lvl.1

United States

▪ Switch tablet/phone to flight mode

is this just to save battery?
2016-6-23
Use props
Thomas.
lvl.2
Germany

Flying Biscuit Posted at 2016-6-23 14:38
▪ Switch tablet/phone to flight mode

is this just to save battery?

No, it's because WIFI and R/C use the same frequency band. Just to make sure that no interference occurs
2016-6-23
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

dan@selucky.cz Posted at 2016-6-15 08:34
For me: after starting motors - wait and listen - is sound (motors, propellers) normal ? Then take o ...

What should the P4 copter sounds normally? For my P3S, it has a high pitch sound that sounds like a jet engine along with the low pitch droning of the props beating the air.  
2016-6-23
Use props
gshanley
New

Thanks for sharing I will use this.
2016-9-8
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Thanks!  Handy to have a laminated print in the bag.
2017-2-6
Use props
Bigmouth
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Thanks. If everyone do all these before flying, the world will be much better.
2017-2-6
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

maybe add "check battery cell status " after power on procedure and before start  motors, or is this the "check batteries " that is on the RC checks ?
2017-2-6
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Cool. You forgot the beer. Or the tea, to keep it bilingual. What is the checklists good at? Where is the challenge,trying to remember what you're missing, the compromise youll remember one way or the other? The betting on which way you'll remember? Between the excitement of doing it by the book and just hoping of doing it right, I don't know. I say live a little! For me to do it by the book would mean to watch zorba the Greek again. For you I pray.

PS: did you add "before installing, check the prop mounts both on props and motors"?
2017-2-6
Use props
TerryB2u
New
United States

Thank you..
2017-3-3
Use props
Sargent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 330869 ft
United States

Thank You
I believe that if more people followed your advice we would have less crashes and fly aways.
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Why does it need to point in to the wind & face away from you. That means when it takes off and there is a big gust it will blow it into you.  I would face it the other way so if it does drift it will be away from you.

How about designating / surveying an emergency landing zone
I don't believe tick box exercises help improve safety, but if it makes you feel more comfortable great.

2017-3-4
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I would also add to listen for the full DJI chime when you power on the AC.. If you only hear half of it, you may have an ESC issue..
2017-3-4
Use props
fans21ac4d6d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 722815 ft
Spain

Thanks, nice guide.
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-4 08:15
Why does it need to point in to the wind & face away from you. That means when it takes off and there is a big gust it will blow it into you.  I would face it the other way so if it does drift it will be away from you.

How about designating / surveying an emergency landing zone

Tick box check is synonymous with aviation, and aviation has an extremely low rate of crashes and accidents and while we think we can overdose on this, these recommendations come from IATA and are insisting that tick box checking should be followed by commercial SUA pilots,
The reality of it is it does a lot more good than bad.
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-4 09:54
Tick box check is synonymous with aviation, and aviation has an extremely low rate of crashes and accidents and while we think we can overdose on this, these recommendations come from IATA and are insisting that tick box checking should be followed by commercial SUA pilots,
The reality of it is it does a lot more good than bad.

I'm not sure about aviation, but a few years ago I was involved in a research project about building and construction. The outcome was tick box and check lists although good to start quickly became robotic and people stopped thinking, often putting others in danger thinking it was ok because all the boxes had been ticked.

Recently I've also watched CAA regd drone pilot spend ages going through all the tick boxes, and within 2 minutes of being in air had done something stupid and dangerous. When I pointed it out, he said it wasn't on his list so not an issue.

"horses for courses"
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Do you have a checklist before getting in your car and driving at 70mph down a crowded motorway? Funny how we perceive risks in reality.
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-4 11:16
I'm not sure about aviation, but a few years ago I was involved in a research project about building and construction. The outcome was tick box and check lists although good to start quickly became robotic and people stopped thinking, often putting others in danger thinking it was ok because all the boxes had been ticked.

Recently I've also watched CAA regd drone pilot spend ages going through all the tick boxes, and within 2 minutes of being in air had done something stupid and dangerous. When I pointed it out, he said it wasn't on his list so not an issue.

Look if it takes longer than 2 minutes pre flight and 1 minute after landing then it's to long , and of course it should become second nature, but you got to start with something and if you get into good habits, it's not such a bad thing,
2017-3-4
Use props
Oka
New

Finland

Why I can not download a file?
2017-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oka Posted at 2017-3-10 08:28

What file you trying to download.
2017-3-10
Use props
Oka
New

Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-10 08:49
What file you trying to download.

P4 Pre-Flight Checklist (English .pdf)
2017-3-10
Use props
Oka
New

Finland

Now, to be successful;)
2017-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oka Posted at 2017-3-10 08:28

Just go to this link and copy and paste..

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-3-10
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Excellent recommendations & reminders for new & veteran pilots alike!
2017-3-10
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

As a fixed wing pilot, we always use pre-flight walk around and check list before every flight.  I think this is a great process that can make for safer flights for everyone.
2017-3-10
Use props
Joshua.
New

United States

I believe a comment may be required to gain "permission" to download, therefore I'll say here that a checklist is an incredible tool and I'll be putting one together geared towards my mode of operations and I look forward to comparing this list with others that I may ensure that I have "all bases covered". Thanks for putting this up here for everyone, Thomas.
2017-4-24
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Thanks so much Thomas!!!  I've had my P4 for just over a week now, and as a newb I still haven't worked up the courage to put it up in the air yet.  But you can be sure that when I do fly I will have this list in hand before doing so!!!
2018-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules