Drone Use for Commercial purposes
4461 22 2016-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
srmmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7293 ft
United States

Excuse me if this question has been asked and answered before .

I want to try to earn money off doing ariel video and photography around my town and state.  

I went to the FAA website and they say there are three ways to obtain legalality to do so but none of it made any sense to me , so I called the number listed there and got forwarded to the UAS office where the govnerment buraucrat didnt have a clue about anything and only re-directed me back to the website.

Does anyone on this forum know what the procedure is , which cert i should apply for ?  where to apply ?    I want to be able to freelance and sell my photos and videos on stock footage websites and i also want to be able to do ariel photos and video for clients if they hire me.  I do not want to be restricted to just one location and for only one purpose.  Do I need a pilots license?   

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had my 333 exemption for over a year and also a private pilot for over 20 years.
You need to do a lot of research.
You do not need a pilots license to get the exemption BUT the pilot flying the aircraft has to have a pilots license.
Here's a thread I started a while ago that will give you some info.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-52491-1-1.html
2016-6-14
Use props
srmmedia
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-15 02:02
I've had my 333 exemption for over a year and also a private pilot for over 20 years.
You need to do ...

Well getting a pilots license is out of the question .  I dont see why you would need one to fly a drone .   If that is required then I guess I might was well give up now
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

srmmedia Posted at 2016-6-15 02:21
Well getting a pilots license is out of the question .  I dont see why you would need one to fly a ...

Yes, that's what's required for the operator flying the aircraft. It may change but that's how it is now.
2016-6-14
Use props
srmmedia
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-15 02:27
Yes, that's what's required for the operator flying the aircraft. It may change but that's how it  ...

Yeah that sucks.. I read somewhere just now that they may be coming out with more lax rules here in a few months which removes the Pilot license requirement.  I hope so because to me it makes no sense.  You dont have to have a pilot's license to fly a drone for recreational purposes so why you should have to for commercial?  I cant fly a Cessna aircraft for recreational purposes without a pilot's license .  It doesnt add up
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

srmmedia Posted at 2016-6-15 03:28
Yeah that sucks.. I read somewhere just now that they may be coming out with more lax rules here i ...

You should have seen how the pilots union and other entities wanted it.
Pilots license with commercial rating, 1st class medical certificate, and so on.
2016-6-14
Use props
j5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-14 14:27
Yes, that's what's required for the operator flying the aircraft. It may change but that's how it  ...

I have been following what has been happening here in Canada with regards to regulations of drones for commercial and non-commercial use.  Right now it appears Transport Canada has "Recommendations", but, flying in regulated (controlled) airspace is not allowed.

As of now, we are waiting for new regulations for drones, which, according to Transport Canada, should be available by years end.  I notice too, there seems to be a few "Drone Schools" pushing their courses and certification, which means little or nothing when it comes to aircraft under 35 kg.

Currently, to determine the exact requirements is almost a fruitless exercise due to the fact you will always eventually end up in the Air Reg Sections of the laws, which was written with for aircraft with a pilot's seat.  Exemption applications have stalled, as I have been told, and others tell me that they are no longer available.

I comfortably fly my P4 because I too have a pilots licence and am familiar with the Air Regs, and what I don't know I ask from my ATR rated brother(s).  

All this being said, drones are becoming very common and have become a novel platform for photography and cinematography.  They are being used recreationally and professionally.  They also have a economic value to the vendors who sell them.  None of this will be cast aside by the Regulators, but, safety will always be the prime concern.

I would suggest strongly to anyone new to this activity to: Come to some understanding of the primary air regulations, as they are currently written, and check the Nav Charts for your location (controlled airspace) ; become familiar with your aircraft mechanically and learn to fly it confidently and safely;  always think safety when flying; and always plan your flights (missions) with these things in mind.

And I am not aware of needing a pilots licence to fly a P4, commercially or otherwise, in Canada, or the US.  (please advise me of the specific regulation if you think I am in error.)
Learn, think safety and enjoy !

2016-6-14
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

srmmedia Posted at 2016-6-14 08:21
Well getting a pilots license is out of the question .  I dont see why you would need one to fly a ...

Aloha srm,

The FAA also does not "see why you would need one to fly a drone" either.  So, do not give up now.  The FAA is between a rock and a hard spot.  It looks like our do-nothing Congress is going to pass again this year on approving the proposed regulations.  So the FAA is looking at allowing micro drones (Phantoms) to fly commercially without a pilot's license since Congress will not act.  The pilot's license requirement was only a stop-gap measure when everyone thought Congress would act responsibly.

If the FAA is able to generate a way to get your Phantom in the air commercially, they will this month.  We are half way there so a little more patience is in order.  But, if you read the proposed rulemaking (below), you will see things go very well for micro drones.  The cost is estimated to be only $214, and the operator will self certify that they understand the rules of flight in FAA airspace (the entire US).

Aloha and Drone On!

2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

869.32 KB, Down times: 9

FAA Proposed Rulemaking

2016-6-14
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

To fly your drone for commercial purposses in Canada currently you need a SFOC (Special flight operations certificate) from Transport Canada.
2016-6-14
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

I can certainly see why Pilot unions would want all the BS! A drone has the ability to put a lot of them out of work, especially the helicopter pilots...Needing a pilots licence though is absurd IMHO. If anyone can fly their drone and make videos for recreational purposes I don't see why there should be anything other than maybe a business licence and some liability insurance to do the same thing in exchange for money.
2016-6-14
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300761 ft
Canada

Cale262@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-14 18:16
I can certainly see why Pilot unions would want all the BS! A drone has the ability to put a lot of  ...

There are different levels of competency and all that is expected is that the pilot is trained and competent. And from a commercial standpoint, you want to play in the sky with the big boys you gotta follow the rules. I don't think you need a pilots licence in Canada yet but to fly with an SPOC or under the exemption, you need to be qualified. I'm not sure what that entails however there are qualified drone pilots in the movie industry right now in Canada. There must be some kind of drone academy somewhere.
2016-6-14
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

At the end of the day,  unrealistic regulations will ultimately invite illegal operations. It will also direct scrutiny towards the FAA. The FAA is quite aware of this.. They are professional's
The FAA is tasked by Congress with incorporating drones into the NAS in a safe and orderly fashion.
I truly believe the final regulations will be realistic and safely accomplish the goals of commerce and safety. The government moves at a snails pace..... just be patient.
2016-6-14
Use props
j5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Cale262@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-14 21:08
To fly your drone for commercial purposses in Canada currently you need a SFOC (Special flight opera ...

Check this web site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... ansports-canada.pdf
2016-6-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check Amazon. They have a couple of books in regard that apply to this.
2016-6-15
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

WOW!!!, I did not know and can not believe that you don't have drone Licences in the states yet, I am half way through my commercial drone licence here in Australia, It is call a RoPA Licence (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Licence), formerly known as a UAV licence, (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), there is a lot of info in this course that we have to learn that even the teachers say we will never need but the governing body CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) that created it said they want us to know but at least they are starting to get it right, It is a 6 day course and it costs AU$4000 so someone is making a lot of money out of these machines and they don't even have to fly one. Out of curiosity how much does it cost in the USA to get the pilots licence?.
2016-6-15
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

If you're in the US and want to keep up on the bills these are the ones to follow:

H.R. 4441, Aviation Innovation, Reform and Reauthorization Act of 2016: Title IV, Part B.
S. 2658, Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016: Title II, Subtitle A.
S. 2670, Micro Drone Safety and Innovation Act of 2016, entire bill.
S. 2249, Drone Safety Act, entire bill.
2016-6-15
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

VisionAir Posted at 2016-6-15 05:23
WOW!!!, I did not know and can not believe that you don't have drone Licences in the states yet, I a ...

Not sure about the States but in Canada it cost me about $9000.00 back in 1992. Even at today's inflatable prices, I think 4000.00 is a bit excessive for a 6 day coarse, and you say there is no hands on experience with hardware. Your right, somebody is laughing all the way to the bank. Even if the instruction is 1 on 1. I got a minimum of 40 hrs. in the cockpit for my money.
2016-6-15
Use props
Marty Be Free !
lvl.1

Ecuador

From what I've found out by searching out, in canada, under if you fly under 2 kg aircraft, you fly under the Exemption from Section s 602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviatin Regulation.

There is also an exemption for aircraft between 2 and 25 kg.

I've attached both of those exemption and to what I've understand out of it, for under 2 kg, even for business, you don't need anything but 18 year, beeing sober, flying eye sight and using jugement not flying over houses, peoples and forest fires.

The 2-25kg part is just adding some articles at the bottom but nothing soo bad as thos are pretty big and are not "toys"

So I hope my findings help and that it is valid information because with laws invalidating others sometime it's hard to get the right information from only one paper.

Exemption - Under 2 KG.pdf

772.38 KB, Down times: 6

2016-6-15
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

Marty Be Free ! Posted at 2016-6-15 14:25
From what I've found out by searching out, in canada, under if you fly under 2 kg aircraft, you fly  ...

You've missed this! I don't know why but you only posted part of the full exemption. Also you did not mention $100,000.00 min. liability insurance.

Pilot training Condition

The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall be appropriately trained on the UAV system and qualified for the area and type of operation  as referred to in Transport Canada guidance material.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

VisionAir Posted at 2016-6-15 20:23
WOW!!!, I did not know and can not believe that you don't have drone Licences in the states yet, I a ...

I got my private pilots license at a large airport (lots of holding on taxiways for Boeing/Airbus aircraft and my license was about $6,000 BUT that was 20 years ago. The same private pilots license at a large airport now may be $8,000 or more but less if done at a small airport.
BUT the exemption rules changed and now a Sport or Recreational license is ok and that could be around $6,000 maybe less.
2016-6-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VisionAir Posted at 2016-6-15 22:23

Were you aware of this before you forked out $4000?
http://www.flightsafetyaustralia ... cut-drone-red-tape/
2016-6-15
Use props
j5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-16 01:24
You've missed this! I don't know why but you only posted part of the full exemption. Also you did n ...

This statement is in reference back to the exemption articles.

See the whole page here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviatio ... ns/docs/en/2880.htm
2016-6-16
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-16 13:42
Were you aware of this before you forked out $4000?
http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2016/03/c ...

Yes very much aware of that and I thought about it for awhile and this is why I decided to get it,
1, don't hold your breath for the 29th Sept they haven't even written the COP code of practice for it yet
2, If I can't make more than AU$4000 (fully tax deductible) in the at least next 3 months I should be doing something else.
3, In that exemption you still have to stick with the 120m rule, and no night flying.
So that is why I have chosen to do it and I have all ready got several paying jobs to do as I finish my course.
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules