Endurance
1517 14 2016-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I was just out flying and ran into a sudden storm.
I was enjoying videoing lightning and saw the storm coming. There were a few dark clouds off to the south and wind speed was 5mph with 7-8 mph gusts.
I was just about to land the bird and not push my luck waiting for the first raindrop.
Then IT hit.
IT was sudden sustained wind of 34-45 mph. (16 - 20 m/s)
Not gusts, sustained wind.
I was about 30 meters up at the time and it seemed like I would never make it back to the ground.
I pointed her into the wind, and at one point I see that I had to exert 85% forward stick just to hold position.
The flight log shows several times in the last 3 minutes of the flight where I had to do this. Also plenty of down stick to decrease elevation.
The wind kept pushing her up.
Those 3 minutes seemed like 30!!
I was pretty sure / worried that this was going to end badly. Either the wind would suddenly stop and the bird flip over, or when landing, sudden change resulting in a crash.
Well, I made it!!
I managed to set her down without mishap. 28% remaining battery. Set her down as gentle as an egg!!

I am VERY impressed with the Inspire's ability to resist wind. VERY!
Also proud that I hept my cool and didn't panic and do some dumb $#!##.

2 minutes after I loaded it and left the field it started raining violently. The kind of rain that you can barely drive in even with wipers on high speed.
This was one of those storms that come out of nowhere and took about 5 minutes to go from a few dark clouds to...... "The sky is falling!!!!"
2016-6-15
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aero where my I ask were you were flying ? Scary story Man Wow this could have ended not so good.
You held it together did not panic nothing uh that could have lost your bird Man.
Or you still would be looking for Parts
Nice Ending Brother!
2016-6-15
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

str1776 Posted at 2016-6-16 10:37
Aero where my I ask were you were flying ? Scary story Man Wow this could have ended not so good.
Yo ...

Flying at a county stadium in Durham NC. I fly there often because it isn't used much and I can be alone there.
There's a lot of open space. I have been doing alot of work with waypoints and POI lately and it is good practice.
I was sure at a point that this was going to end in a crash. Glad I was wrong.

I read somewhere on this forum that one has to get as accoustomed to flying as we are to driving so that reactions come naturally. How very true.
2016-6-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Glad you got off OK. A to remember is dropping close to the ground in high winds. This can benefit recovery on account of ground effect. (> lift and better ground speed)
2016-6-15
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

Did you get a power to the motors restriction waring at all?

I've never been in this situation, but I'm always worried that if I am caught out that the DJI software will try save the battery and not give me full thrust so I'll be hopeless against any wind...
2016-6-16
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That concern kept going through my mind. I never got that reduced power warning and was very glad of it. I imagine that I was on the verge of it.
I kept a constant check on the flight mode switch to make sure I was in P mode. This bird would have surely been gone in A mode.
2016-6-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

NICE work keeping your calm.
Is this version 2? (Inspire 1 V2 with X3 camera)?

seems like the V2 motors have the extra power needed in this situation.
Rich
2016-6-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It was a great show of control not to panic. Anxiety can make or, sometimes quite literally, break a unit. Well done.
2016-6-16
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-17 02:30
NICE work keeping your calm.
Is this version 2? (Inspire 1 V2 with X3 camera)?

I wish I had a picture of the bird fighting the wind.
It was pitched forward 35-40 degrees just to maintain position. Plus some side to side yaw action.
I swear I could hear it crying!! (Or maybe that was me!!)

2016-6-16
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-17 06:07
It was a great show of control not to panic. Anxiety can make or, sometimes quite literally, break a ...

Thank you!

I felt very blessed and relieved when I finally got it on the ground.
2016-6-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-16 17:24
I wish I had a picture of the bird fighting the wind.
It was pitched forward 35-40 degrees just t ...

I think I can.....  I know I can   ....  

Rich
2016-6-16
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-16 20:30
That concern kept going through my mind. I never got that reduced power warning and was very glad of ...

It would be good to have an override for the limited propulsion. Don't get me wrong, I think that failsafe is a good inclusion for 99.9% of flights, but you never know when you'd need that extra bit of power. I'd rather kill a battery than lose a bird.

Good work on getting it back to earth tho!
2016-6-16
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great piloting! Practice makes perfect and instills confidence which removes panic, Good job
2016-6-16
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-16 12:00
That concern kept going through my mind. I never got that reduced power warning and was very glad of ...

Hi Aeromirage,

A note for next time, the I1 will actually fly faster an atti mode so if you are struggling against the wind flick her over to A not P. I've had the I1 and P3 out nearly a mile over sea few time and thought I would not make it back, Flick to A mode and drop altitude as much as you dare then head for home.

Glad you got her back though,

Mark G.
2016-9-24
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>

Thanks, it was truly a learning experience.
I hadn't used ATTI mode much then, but am using it now quite a bit.
Also working with waypoints a lot. Going to take the test soon for the 107.
2016-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules