Goal Zero Sherpa 50 + Nomad 13... Field Charging my OSMO?
2451 10 2016-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oliverthomasart
New

Hi guys. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination.

We know the OSMO battery specs are roughly: 980mAh, 10.8Wh, 11.1v.

The recharger itself lists the input as: 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, and the output as 12.6 V, 1.2 A.

All french to me.

I am going on a 25 day, remote backpacking trip through the rockies in July. I want very badly to take the OSMO. No other camera gear, no slr gear, only the OSMO. I think the footage I can get with it will be personally epic.

The only system I can come up with that is feasible in terms of space and weight to field-charge batteries is the Goal Zero product, specifically the following:

Goal Zero Sherpa 50 (see specs tab) w/inverter
paired with the solar panel: Nomad 13

I just don't know enough about electrical engineering to do the math.

What I need to know is:

Will this system theoretically work,
and if so:
How many batteries should I take to maximize my charging/use time ratio? IE, no use taking 10 batteries if it takes 8 hours to charge each one.
2016-6-17
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you add the SHERPA INVERTER (220V) you can then plug the normal charger in but you'd probably want to get one of these multi 4 battery chargers so you don't have to swap each OSMO battery out as it charges.
2016-6-18
Use props
oliverthomasart
New

dopeytree Posted at 2016-6-19 05:57
If you add the SHERPA INVERTER (220V) you can then plug the normal charger in but you'd probably wan ...

Is there a DJI endorced or already vetted multi-charger option?
I had considered it, but several amazon reviews talked about batteries going bad soon after trying out a multi-charger.
2016-6-18
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Having 2 chargers with 4 batteries should provide continuous usage.
If I were you, I would look for a way to use the OSMO with the battery extender.
Yes, the wire might be uncomfortable but even with a TB47 battery for Inspire 1 you will get several continuous hours of OSMO usage (plenty of time to recharge a spare).
2016-6-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for all of your advice.
About the Battery Extender, please read this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-49176-1-1.html
About more product information, please visit the official DJI online store and the official product webpage.

We would not recommend using any unauthorized 3rd party products with the DJI products. Any damage caused would not be guaranteed. Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-18
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The other thing is your phone will run out of juice before you run through 4 OSMO batteries so might also be worth picking up on of those phone charging batteries & you might be able to tape that to the OSMO handle.
2016-6-19
Use props
oliverthomasart
New

I went ahead and ordered the systems. I will test over the next 2 weeks and report what I find. I know there is interest in people finding a system to handle remote charging off of solar out in the backcountry, so I'll also follow up after my trip with my experience.
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

oliverthomasart Posted at 2016-6-20 04:24
I went ahead and ordered the systems. I will test over the next 2 weeks and report what I find. I kn ...

Great! That's very kind of you, our people will always look forward to your further update.
Have fun in your upcoming trip.
2016-6-19
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

oliverthomasart Posted at 2016-6-19 15:24
I went ahead and ordered the systems. I will test over the next 2 weeks and report what I find. I kn ...

Thanks. I'm definitely interested.
2016-6-20
Use props
oliverthomasart
New

Update #1 -

Osmo arrived last night, as did the Goal Zero Sherpa 50 w/inverter and the Nomad 13 Solar Panel.

I charged the Sherpa up to 100% from the wall, and did the same for the Osmo battery, so both were 100%. I then dove into an hour or so of playing around with the Osmo, and drained the battery to about 20%.

I then plugged in the Osmo charger into the inverter attachment for the Sherpa 50 pack, and started charging the Osmo battery off of it.

The Osmo battery showed green somewhere between 1 hour and 1 hour 20 minutes later. ( didn't sit there watching it). The Sherpa back only showed having been drained to the first percentage indicator, 80%, which runs Full>80>60>40>20.

I left the Sherpa at the 80% mark overnight, and then in the morning plugged in the Nomad 13 solar panel and set the kit out in the sun. Roughly 2 hours of strong direct Texas sunlight, and the Sherpa was showing "full" again.  

Obviously I need to do more testing, but this first run through was very promising.

Will continue to update as long as anyone cares to make use of the information, lol.

20160623_131129.jpg
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

oliverthomasart Posted at 2016-6-24 02:18
Update #1 -

Osmo arrived last night, as did the Goal Zero Sherpa 50 w/inverter and the Nomad 13 So ...

Thanks for the update.
2016-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules