Galaxy Tab S - Battery Drain Problem?
6689 24 2015-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I purchased a Galaxy Tab S after the IOS app was pulled.  I bought the 8.4 Version, I just wondered if there are others out there with the same tablet using the DJI Pilot App.

The reason I ask - I charged up the tablet to 100%, then unplugged it and opened up the DJI Pilot app, clicked on the map, and started to cache an area for flying, in under 20 minutes I got a battery level warning, in 20 minutes the battery had drained from 100% all the way down to 11% - I've never seen anything like this, is the battery in this thing really that bad, or is the app a power hungry sucker?

I'm worried that I'll be out flying at the battery drains in just one flight, or even during the flight.
Do I need to replace the battery or will I get the same result with a new battery, any input greatly recieved.

Thanks

2015-1-22
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

I have a new Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and haven't seen this problem, usually flying 3 sorties with it on and the app open the entire time.  I'm thinking the Tab battery was at 84% when I plugged it back in for a recharge.

I'll look at my battery life next time to be sure.
2015-1-22
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks MJDMike. Perhaps I do have a battery problem
2015-1-22
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Plus Form Posted at 2015-1-22 19:01
Thanks MJDMike. Perhaps I do have a battery problem

I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. Same issue. I though it was just me. Started at 80% and in less than 20 mins got warning and was down to 10%.
2015-1-22
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Jones5r, it must just be a sucker on power then, I hope they can improve that in future developments
2015-1-22
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Must just be a power sucker.. thanks for confirming Jones5r, I hope the developers can improve the battery consumption in future updates
2015-1-22
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

Happen to me too once, brand-new tab S 8.2 started flying at 56% and was in the air for about five minutes, next thing I noticed low battery warning on the tablet 11% so I landed plugged my tablet in and it went from 11% to 52% in a matter of two secondsDid a reset on the tablet and did not have that problem again
2015-1-22
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I guess the tablet does not draw power from the controller, only data?
2015-1-22
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Plus Form Posted at 2015-1-22 23:35
I guess the tablet does not draw power from the controller, only data?

No, would probably be a bad idea anyway, killing your remote faster.

My Advice: Look for GSam Battery Monitor on the Play Store. There's a feature called "App usage" which will tell you which apps are using the most power. Android does that on it's own if you go to Settings and look for "Battery", but the above-mentioned app is much more detailed.

Aside from that, it could just be as Funnone mentioned above, and the measurement is off. Did you do a full charge before using it? Sometimes just letting it drain till it shuts off, then charging overnight fixes the problem. I try to do that every month or so anyway. Standard Li-Ion stuff.
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Good to know as there is a Galaxy pro 8.4 heading to me via amazon . I will check this out asap ..I'm running currently a IPad mini 2 with out any issue what so ever on the IOS pilot app.
Actually surprised how long the ipad mini 2 keeps a charge.
2015-1-22
Use props
travissrt.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

My LG Gpad charges from the controller while flying
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Nice I knew it had the capability to do so if possible, and this is great info Ty travis.
2015-1-22
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-1-23 04:00
Good to know as there is a Galaxy pro 8.4 heading to me via amazon . I will check this out asap ..I' ...

Yea my iPad mini 2 last for ever also, but with the problem with the iOS app being removed I figured I might as well pick up an A tab S 8.4 but I definitely prefer the iPad mini 2
2015-1-22
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

Good to know as there is a Galaxy pro 8.4 heading to me via amazon . I will check this out asap ..I' ...

Yea my iPad mini 2 last for ever also, but with the problem with the iOS app being removed I figured I might as well pick up an A tab S 8.4 but I definitely prefer the iPad mini 2
2015-1-22
Use props
Funnone
lvl.3
United States

2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Im with you on that android Tablet is in a sense a backup if needed.
interesting about the battery draining like this.
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Galaxy pro 8.4 just showed up today will see the differences using it with the I1 .
One hopes the Galaxy is better but I like you prefer the Ipad for this process.
2015-1-22
Use props
tanthawat
New

Thailand

jones5r Posted at 2015-1-22 20:41
I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. Same issue. I though it was just me. Started at 80% and in less than  ...

I use the app with a Galaxy Note 8.0 got the same battery drainage problem.
Running Android Version 4.4.2
DJI Pilot App Version 1.0.3

Is this normal or will it be fixed in later updates
2015-1-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Nice info ty  Im juicing my 8.4 up right now.
2015-1-22
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

Drain problem seems like the norm, not good.
I much prefer the amoled screen on the galaxy to my ipad. true black is amazing. The battery drain issue is a real problem tho. I will be using my iphone 6+ as a backup when the ios app is re-released. The galaxy tab s is my first android, always been apple, bought it specifically for the inspire when the ios app was pulled but now concerned about the drain problem. I hope this is addressed in updates. Not seen an app kill a battery like this before.
2015-1-23
Use props
smarterbid
New
Flight distance : 41637 ft
United States

Yep, exact same issue. Dead in 20 mins my tablet usually lasts forever. Dji pilot app 53 percent battery drain  from one of the two. I can't force closed
Screenshots_2015-02-17-20-06-53.png
2015-2-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like a Tablet issue and not a DJI issue?
2015-2-17
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Batteries draining test

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=6222
2015-2-17
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Samsung just has bad battery management. Way too many bloatware. As long as your wifi, gps or screen is on, those are also working. I have the same issues (not that fast however) with my note 3. On my nexus none.. You could try betterbatterystats to see what app is causing the drain.
2015-2-18
Use props
drosos.dimitris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241362 ft
Greece

Found a solution that work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enable tha save power mode and vuala!!! Everything great!!!! 20 minute recording with lighting full!!! from 99% goes to 85%!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Note 10.1 2014 edition
2015-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules