Strange bug (user error) with 1.9.1.10 upgrade process (solved)
1161 4 2016-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

I usually put complaints about firmware upgrades to sloppy procedure /failing to read instructions but this is a wierd one that caught me.
Its an issue that owners of more than one Inspire may encounter.

I successfully upgraded to 1.9.01.10 on a V2.0 + X5-R platform. After cleaning out the .txt 'success' log, I repeated the process on a v1.0+ X5.

This was done with a somewhat empty battery (28%). The usual upgrade chimes did not come on and the 'About' window on the Go App said that I had 1.9.1.10 onboard which is impossible since the upgrade didn't take place.

I loaded a fresh battery onto the same v1.0+ X5 craft and a message to upgrade firmware appeared. I ignored this but could not arm the motors! The Go App maintained I had the 1.9.1.10 version on board. A few cycles and no progress.

Eventually, I loaded the micro SD card onto the X5R and loaded that camera onto the I1 v1.0 and only then did the upgrade take place.

All good now but I thought I'd share this in case someone out there faces issues as well.

2016-6-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

I think I've solved this. My Bad.... There are camera specific versions of the FW update even though the upgrade is supposed to be for the aircraft. I loaded the X5R version onto the X5 when I did the update so that didn't work. Of course, putting the X5R onto the 2nd craft worked.... Note that the X5R version is 1.9.01.10 while the X5 version is 1.9.1.10   -
2016-6-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-6-18 09:34
I think I've solved this. My Bad.... There are camera specific versions of the FW update even though ...

I wish that they just had separate version  numbers and names for the updates to avoid this confusion.  I cant tell you how often this happens, and then when you tell ( some )  forum meber's ( not Mike the cat )  to make sure they have the right update version, they get "Pissy" with you and say  things like " I can read you know '  or "Obviously "  I hate that .

I see so many issues  that could easily be solved with better communication  and simple explanations and updates.  I know that I write "Mini Novels" when I answer questions, but you  know what, I get them the correct procedure start to finish . ( Or at least do me best )

Thanks for your Input Mike

Cheers

donnie  
2016-6-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Somehow DJI needs to get the FW updates to be more unified. I really gets confusing with three aircraft types to update. Each one is a different method

Rich
2016-6-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-18 22:46
I wish that they just had separate version  numbers and names for the updates to avoid this co ...

Thanks Donnie! Good sense of humour you have too!

Perhaps they can name the upgrades like: 'Inspire1.Raw.June13.2016(Build2016.3.5)' so that it becomes clearer to end users.

It doesn't get rid of the problem of using the wrong version. Perhaps the engineers can come up with a preloaded program that checks if the attempted update version is the correct one and reports it to the Go app. Shouldn't be difficult and will save a lot of grief.
2016-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules