Ronin and new battery not working - unable to update GCU firmware
3854 4 2016-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m.harkin
lvl.1

Australia

I have just purchased a new 4300mAh battery (plus charger, plus thumb control) from the DJI store. I did this because the perfectly good 3400mAh battery I had would not allow me to upgrade to the current firmware.

Having charged and installed the new battery, I was able to update the IMU firmware to 3.1. The DJI Assistant app (vers 2.2 - see attached screen shot: ronin-assist-4300-info-160618.png) confirms the IMU firmware is 3.1 but that there is no update for the GCU firmware (see: ronin-assist-4300-upgrade-160618.png).

Having updated the firmware, the Ronin will not operate. The remote does not work. The thumb controller does not work.

When turning the unit on, the battery status bars illuminate momentarily then go off. The battery power light remains on. Data on the Battery screen of the DJI Assistant appears as if no battery is connected (see: ronin-assist-4300-battery-160618.png). The battery is brand new, fully charged and properly seated!!!!

Removing the new 4300mAh battery and replacing it with the 3400mAh battery, the unit and remote operate (but still with pre firmware update issues). The thumb controller does not work. Data on the Battery screen of the DJI Assistant indicates battery status and information (see: ronin-assist-3400-battery-160618.png).

I assume my issues will disappear if the GCU firmware is updated to 1.2 but I am not able to do that... the DJI Assistant app says there are no updates - regardless of which battery I use!
NOTE: The DJI Assistant app now says that both the 4300mAh and 3400mAh batteries are "Not DJI Intelligent Battery!"

DJI Assistant - info screen

DJI Assistant - info screen

DJI Assistant - upgrade screen

DJI Assistant - upgrade screen

DJI Assistant - battery screen 4300

DJI Assistant - battery screen 4300

DJI Assistant - battery screen 3400

DJI Assistant - battery screen 3400
2016-6-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for your information.
Could you please try to re-upgrade the firmware in Ronin Assistant Software v1.8 (http://www.dji.com/product/ronin/info#downloads)? (If your previous FW was too old, you may need to upgrade it step by step)

Wait for your further feedback.
2016-6-18
Use props
m.harkin
lvl.1

Australia

Woo Hoo! I hope that I'm not speaking too soon but it seems the battery and performance issues have been resolved!

Thanks for your advice about the 'step-by-step' upgrade.

However, you should note that:
After downloading and installing DJI Assistant v1.8 on (1) a PowerMac running 10.6.8, (2) a PowerBook running 10.8.5 and (3) an iMac running 10.9.5, the application would just immediately crash everytime I tried to run it!!!!

In desperation, the PC version of DJI Assistant v1.8  was installed on a Microsoft Surface running Windows 10. It successfully connected with the Ronin running the 3400mAh battery.

After logging-in to my DJI account through the application, I was able to update the GCU firmware.

The "Not DJI Intelligent Battery" has gone. - No error message with either battery - Hallelujah!

The remote and thumb controller are both working.

A journey I don't wish to repeat.

Thanks.
2016-6-20
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

m.harkin@headof Posted at 2016-6-20 18:33
Woo Hoo! I hope that I'm not speaking too soon but it seems the battery and performance issues have  ...

Thanks for the feedback.
Good for you.
2016-6-22
Use props
Morph010168
New

New Zealand

I have a similar issue in that my GCU will not update from 0.12. The IMU will update to any version OK, but of course the RC stops working. DJI New Zealand dont have a single battery in the country so they are unable to verify if this would fix the issue. They are currently telling me the only fix is to return it to DJI China for them to carry out this check - seems a long way to test a battery!! How did you know that the battery was the issue preventing the firmware to update?
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules