Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware Update on New Phantom 1
13025 7 2016-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gt750dragbike
New

United States

I just got a new, sealed in the box Phantom 1.1.1. I notice in the Quick Start Guide that it states to update the firmware. I'm wondering if this step has to be done in order to do my first flight or can I calibrate the compass and do a test flight without this update being done? I'd like to confirm that the drone works first and then I might do the update if it is really necessary. If the drone doesn't  work correctly after doing the update and after I have done a first test flight without the update, then I would know that the update caused any problems I might have.

I went to the DJI website to download the drivers and assistant software. When I tried to download the driver installer it states that the signature is corrupt or invalid. This makes me skeptical about doing the updates also.

I'm looking forward to my first flight but figure I better ask questions and be comfortable before doing so. Thanks for any help.
2016-6-18
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The updates should be firmware 4.1 or something like that that's what I run and many others and its a good firmware what you might have to do is turn the date on your computer back to 2015 then download the software it shouldn't say the installer is corrupt... HAPPY FLYING
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hope this can help you :
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/info#faq intall.JPG
2016-6-19
Use props
gt750dragbike
New

United States

I downloaded the Naza M software and the drivers. I turn on the controller and then the phantom. I connect the USB cable to my PC and I can hear that it is recognized by the computer, I run the Naza M software and I get a popup that version 4.04 is available. In the upgrade section of the Naza software, all that it shows is the main controller and it states that no upgrade is available. In the section where the controls on the controller can be checked, when I move the controls, it shows nothing moving on the software. A couple days ago I took the phantom outside without the props attached, did the compass calibration which worked and then turned on the phantom with the controller and the motors did work. I turned it off with the controller and that worked also. I'm very concerned about using the Phantom as is, wondering if I put the props on and try to raise it, there may be no control of the device at all and it could be history.

Does it come from the factory ready to fly without doing the firmware update? Could the firmware update problem be caused because I am using Windows 10? I do have a Windows Vista computer that I could hook up to the internet if this would resolve the problem with the firmware update.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

gt750dragbike@y Posted at 2016-6-22 09:14
I downloaded the Naza M software and the drivers. I turn on the controller and then the phantom. I c ...

Just to clarify, you ensured that the Naza Assistant recognized the unit with green/ blue LEDs in the bottom corner of the program or are those LEDs a dark red/blue? What operating system are you running?  Could you confirm the Assistant version you are running via the Info page?

Depending on the dealer, they may have taken the initiative to update the firmware prior to sale, but his is not common practice for all dealers when dealing with such an old product.
2016-6-21
Use props
gt750dragbike
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 02:00
Just to clarify, you ensured that the Naza Assistant recognized the unit with green/ blue LEDs in  ...

The LED's don't turn on when the phantom is plugged in to the computer. I am using Windows 10 on my computer. I do have an old computer running Windows Vista that I can connect to the internet to try as my research seems to show that Windows 8 and 10 might be the problem. I am using the assistant version 2.40. I also tried version 2.20 with the same result.

I got the Phantom new but not from a dealer. I found this information about this situation also. I haven't tried this yet.

2016-6-24
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

CONGRATS on an excellent purchase!

I fly my Phantom 1 more than my P3A and still love it.    For my needs, the P1 is perfect in most circumstances.The only time I really use the P3A is if I REALLY need some rock steady aerial video or photos (super rare) and it's a bit windy out.

I remember having the exact same anxiety at first.   The way I got over it was to fly it INDOORS first.
However, if you have never flown a quadcopter at all, that may not be adviseable.

I understand your fears and you are wise to take your time, read, study and know what you are doing and what to expect BEFORE you turn it loose in the big open sky.

The P1 1.1.1 will fly perfectly out of the box IIRC.   The updates simply add some features to the Assistant.

If you can turn your Phantom on, get a steady green blinking light after going from 3 reds to 2 reds to 1 red and then a series of quick green flashes (indicating it has recorded the home point) you should be golden.  Just check your compass MOD values before you fly the first time to make sure they are within specs.

As far as the computer connection.....yep...I had that problem too.
My solution was to use my laptop.   I could never get Assistant to connect using Windows Vista on my Desktop.
But my Laptop (also running Windows Vista) connects every time.   USB conflict somewhere.

Also make sure your props are on securely and take her up to about 15 feet and hover there for a second basking in the fun of what you have  I wouldn't hesitate for a second now to send my bird out over 1000 feet or up to 400 feet.   Always reliable.

FWIW...I added some goodies to my P1.1.1 after I had it a while.
Glonass 32bit  upgraded GPS / Compass (I now get 16 sats every flight)  woo hoo!
FlyTrex flight Data Recorder
FPV
Vibration dampening Camera Mount

Have Fun !

2016-6-24
Use props
gt750dragbike
New

United States

Thanks everyone for the help. I just did my first flight a couple of hours ago. I didn't hook up my GoPro because I figured if something bad happened, at least I wouldn't lose my cam also. The tip about the 3 to 2 to 1 red followed by the quick green flashes showed me that everything was good as far as the GPS was concerned. Then I did the compass calibration which also worked. Got it running and raised the left control fast and up it went. I did a few square patterns first at low altitude and then took it up a bit more and went the opposite direction on a square pattern to get used to the controls. I had a big piece of round cardboard for the landing strip but that wasn't much help as the props blew it away on the landing. I will get some pegs for the corners of the cardboard  to keep it in place. When I landed I brought it down slow but the Phantom still tipped forward once it was down. I later took it up again and started to feel like I was losing control a little so I let go of the sticks and got things back in order. I'm home now charging the battery. I can see the first thing I will get is another battery. I'm going to take my GoPro with me after the battery is charged and get some video. I sure am glad that I got this. It is a lot of fun and will only get better. I sure would like to get FPV someday but for now, I will enjoy what I have. I'm sure another battery will be arriving soon though.
2016-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules