Ronin in top mount mode loosing power to tilt motors
1923 7 2016-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

Hi all, finally was able to do a solid road test with Ronin on slider in car, invereted camera in top mode..

Hoping others have developed the magic settings for this situation and willing to share my test results. The roll issue is much better now with new firmware and center is holding as well. This setup seems plausable again..I have a series of shots hoping to develop.
What I noticed first time out..
mode 3 on fast return setting '96'
• I need to find setting stiffen the tilt a lot more (will add settings) pan return on G force was pretty good.
Tilt rolled up and down, the slower I drove and slowed the better it was so G force for sure

(To DJI - looking for best way to phrase this)
1. What are the best settings to counter act gforce and the lack of gps sensor in - Ronin and Ronin M - ??
2. could we start talking about a GPS module 'add on' for - Ronin and Ronin M -?? Here's my $$

This is first test run since factory return..
** I do want to report an issue as well. On Ronin power is cutting off on tilt every 30-45 min or so...None of the motors made noise or were hot.
Rig was mostly silent..but remote started beeping a few times as well..not happening at same time..I'm checking ballence and motor settings before next run.
could be new overheat shutoff firmware issue that Ronin M people are reporting..I'm on a Ronin..

I have everything setup for a few days open to test some setting options!! Welcome feedback!
cheers
Darrin

Top mode..

Top mode..
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello Darrin,
Could you please tell me your Ronin's firmware version firstly?
If I don't misunderstand you, are you inquiring two issues as below?
1) Are you askink about the best setting for tilt control? What's the model of your camera? What's the overall weight of your camera?
2) In tilt Axis, it will cut power automatically after a running of 30-40 minutes, but there's no beep and the motor shows no overheating issue. After that, the RC will beep. Right? Would it be possible that the cut-off issue was caused by the lack of power in the battery? I mean, did you check the power of the battery?
In addition, what do you mean by GPS "add on"? Are you referring to the SDK or something?

Wait for your confirmation. Any more details would be appreciated.
Thanks.
2016-6-19
Use props
darrin
lvl.4

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-20 14:46
Hello Darrin,
Could you please tell me your Ronin's firmware version firstly?
If I don't misundersta ...

1. Yes trying to lock down best settings to counter act g force of forward/slow down motion
best guess etc..there are so many combinations it's really hard to find a starting point
I would like the horizon to not drift up and down or at least make it stiff as possible.
( does this lead to motor cut off?? question of the day..)

2 yes - but the RC cutting off ( beeping) and motors cutting had no connection that I could tell...
As far as battery goes; NO brand new battery from factory in last few days..and was used for hours after - 3 motor cut off failures in 3 hours..I'm running a time lapse trying to hold one position..

3. GPS - What I mean is a known issue exists with g force on both ronin and ronin M and is resolved in MX version with added GPS features. So maybe an add on componinte for original ronin owners would be nice and I would expect to pay for it.

For now interested in best recommended settings for stiffing 'tilt' from forward/slow down motion.

Hope that helps to clarify. I'm also trying to develop an info video to go over setting for this configuration as I cannot find any online. If anyone does know of one please add to this topic!
Thanks and Cheers Darrin
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

darrin@proimage Posted at 2016-6-22 02:03
1. Yes trying to lock down best settings to counter act g force of forward/slow down motion
best gu ...

Hello.
Thanks for your confirmation.
Different camera may adapt to different stiffness value, we may give a recommendation based on your camera's information.
BTW, thanks for your concern about the Ronin-MX. About the "add on" GPS component, please pay attention to our website for any future update.

Wait for your further reply.
2016-6-22
Use props
darrin
lvl.4

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-22 17:28
Hello.
Thanks for your confirmation.
Different camera may adapt to different stiffness value, we m ...

I'm using a canon 5D m3 and 16-35 lens, behind camera I have around a pound of counter weights..
my tilt power usage is under '1 -1' none are over 2..I also use two lens supports factory and additional on front..
(this keeps vibrations from forming in the frist place...Side note my canon 16-35 lens will actually loosen the internal barrel screws after some time on Ronin I've had to tighten them up a couple times now so I added front lens support and it helped a lot!! If sent out to canon its $300+ us dollars)

Ronin is just back from factory this week..
system firmware is 3.0.1.2
GCU is 1.0.2.0
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

darrin@proimage Posted at 2016-6-23 00:13
I'm using a canon 5D m3 and 16-35 lens, behind camera I have around a pound of counter weights..
my ...

Hello.
As stated in the Ronin User Manual Canon 5D MKIII is a recommended camera, and the lens support is needed for a better balance. (Please review P12-P13 in the User Manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _v2.0_en_160229.pdf)

Generally, the stiffness in tilt axis should be set above 30, after the systematic auto tuning, a fine adjustment may be necessary.

Thanks.
2016-6-23
Use props
darrin
lvl.4

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-23 16:07
Hello.
As stated in the Ronin User Manual Canon 5D MKIII is a recommended camera, and the lens su ...

I'm using 'two' lens supports.. With no noise or heat of any kind the motors are shutting off around 30 min every time...please setup a Ronin with similar weight in top mode and see if it will run for an extended period of time on your side of the fence..I will try and add a camera and shoot the Ronin again to prove the issue again..like I have endless amounts of time to prove yet another firmware issue.

I had this same setup before Ronin was returned and new firmware added...and it never shut off not a single time i did a two hour slider test the day before it left..I do time lapse and jib work so this potentially can ruin a full day shoot and once again make the Ronin an unreliable choice..just saying!!
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

darrin@proimage Posted at 2016-6-24 02:13
I'm using 'two' lens supports.. With no noise or heat of any kind the motors are shutting off arou ...

Hello Darrin,
After double checking with our engineers, the "tilt cutting off" issue should be still caused by the camera balance problem. In Upright Mode, the stabilization system requires more rigid balance condition, please check the camera balance again and make sure the power value of each axis is near 0, especially the Pitch axis.
Could you please show us the live power values of each axis in Underslung Mode?

For any update, please let me know.
Thanks.
2016-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules