Question about Drones in Costa Rica.
3209 5 2016-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

I have long been thinking of traveling to Costa Rica. Having read Costa Rica Drone Laws I want to make sure that I understand what I just read. The part that concerns me most is the following and I think this applies to recreational flyers:
  • You must not fly without a licence. A licence consists of 48 hours of theoretical training and 10 hours of practical training by schools authorized by the DGAC.
  • You cannot fly higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • You must fly stay at least 8km (5 miles) from an airport
  • You cannot fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of any house or building
  • You cannot fly over large activities or groups of people without prior authorization
  • The following areas are completely off limits to drones, La Reforma Prison, The Presidential House, El Ministerio de seguridad publica, Arenal volcano, La palma passage, The Zurqui Tunnel, El Murcielago Police Training Center
For commercial flying the following applies:

Flying drones for commercial purposes is allowed in Costa Rica, but the following needs to be adhered to. Companies or individuals wishing to use drones for a business purpose must pay an annual licence fee of $1,874. This permit allows a company or individual to fly an unlimited number of drones, however each drone pilot must purchase a commercial drone pilot licence for $94. Flying without the proper permit for commercial uses can lead to fines of up to $16,000.

Anyone from Costa Rica here? If I read this correctly that means if you visit Costa Rica bring your surf board but leave your drone at home. Please tell me it ain't so!

2016-6-20
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

I went to Costa rica 3 time in the last 3 years. I have a house were I go for 3 month each winter. I never had any problem getting my drone thought the custom and never had any problem fly out there! Is that a new law?
2016-9-3
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

I went to Costa rica 3 time in the last 3 years. I have a house were I go for 3 month each winter. I never had any problem getting my drone thought the custom and never had any problem fly out there! Is that a new law?
2016-9-3
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

2016-9-3
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

antoine@broquet Posted at 2016-9-4 06:41
I went to Costa rica 3 time in the last 3 years. I have a house were I go for 3 month each winter. I ...

Based on the Google searches that I have done it appears that this law has not been fully implemented yet. Additionally, it appears that CR does not have the infrastructure to monitor and enforce this law. Regardless, I think this law is bad for tourism. As a visitor to CR I would not want to be the person who is made an example of.

Each year I take a trip to a different country throughout the Caribbean and Americas. I ONLY GO TO COUNTRIES THAT ARE DRONE FRIENDLY. Additionally, I plan to retire in about 2 years and could consider buying a home in a country like CR. Restrictive laws pour cold water on this plan.
2016-9-4
Use props
fans890972b3
lvl.1

Costa Rica

The only regulations are do not fly over 120m (400ft) don't fly in a 8km radius of the airports and don't fly over big amounts of people, just that, fly safe. And remember here is very windy sometimes.
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules